Adding new speakers to my setup. How do I do it?

I'm currently using the following:

Pro-Ject Debut Carbon --> Cambridge 551p phono preamp --> AudioEngine A2 active speakers.

A guy offered me a good deal on some limited edition white/pearl KRK Rokit 5's. How can I add these to my setup and still be able to use the AudioEngines...and should I ?

You COULD run both (since both are active) by using 2 rca splitters.  Come off each channel of the preamp into a single male/dual female splitter and run one rca cable from each female splitter lead to one of the A2s and one of the R5s.  Make sure there is one of each type of speaker on each channel, not both A2s on one and both R5s on the other...

That being said... don't do it.

Looking at the increased driver sizes, larger cabinet size, and spec'd frequency extension, I can't imagine the set of Rokits not sounding better than the A2s.  For a lot of different reasons, mixing the speakers is going to sound worse than just running one set. You aren't going to get surround sound using 2 sets of mismatched speakers. You will get weird voice mis-matching, phasing problems, and other issues.  I would run the Rokits on their own and sell the A2s to finance some other stuff.

You COULD run both (since both are active) by using 2 rca splitters. Come off each channel of the preamp into a single male/dual female splitter and run one rca cable from each female splitter lead to one of the A2s and one of the R5s. Make sure there is one of each type of speaker on each channel, not both A2s on one and both R5s on the other...

That being said... don't do it.

Looking at the increased driver sizes, larger cabinet size, and spec'd frequency extension, I can't imagine the set of Rokits not sounding better than the A2s. For a lot of different reasons, mixing the speakers is going to sound worse than just running one set. You aren't going to get surround sound using 2 sets of mismatched speakers. You will get weird voice mis-matching, phasing problems, and other issues. I would run the Rokits on their own and sell the A2s to finance some other stuff.

So, the Rokits are better than the A2s? Even for vinyl playback? I may use both sets of speakers and just buy another table and preamp for another room.

This is what a hifi set up looks like

Source -> Amp -> Speakers

NOT

Source -> Speakers

Why so many people on here want to use powered monitors for a stereo is beyond me.  You've put money into the turntable, stop fucking around and get put a little money into the rest of the system.

I don't understand the problem with a source > preamp > active speaker setup. Mine does fine for me. I was just coming here for opinions. As I stated before, I'm really new to this and have no idea about the differences. First, I wasn't sure if I could hook up additional speakers to my setup, which I found out is a bad idea. Now, I'm just wondering if the Rokit 5's would go well with a turntable and preamp. The only reason I use active speakers and a preamp is because I've been given a lot of suggestions here advising me to do so. Which, so far, has been a good decision. 

I don't understand the problem with a source > preamp > active speaker setup. Mine does fine for me. I was just coming here for opinions. As I stated before, I'm really new to this and have no idea about the differences. First, I wasn't sure if I could hook up additional speakers to my setup, which I found out is a bad idea. Now, I'm just wondering if the Rokit 5's would go well with a turntable and preamp. The only reason I use active speakers and a preamp is because I've been given a lot of suggestions here advising me to do so. Which, so far, has been a good decision. 

If you're using passive speakers, you'll need an amplifier. Think of it like this: the preamp works with the turntable, and the amplifier works with passive speakers. Your Audioengines already have amps built in.

If you're using passive speakers, you'll need an amplifier. Think of it like this: the preamp works with the turntable, and the amplifier works with passive speakers. Your Audioengines already have amps built in.

Yeah, I know how it works. I just can't see why people have such a problem with a preamp-active speaker setup. 

Well, to begin with I didn't have a lot to invest initially. I had 600...which I ultimately had to go over (700), but I got the suggested 'best I could get' within my price range. I don't see what's wrong with a $150 preamp and $200 speakers. That's a lot for me. I know it's still entry level, but it beats the hell out of my Crosley which I refused to use. I had to have something decent so I could finally spin my stuff.

What are you calling "proper"? I had considered for my next setup (which will be primarily for bedroom use and for teaching my son how to take care of/spin them correctly) a Pro-Ject Debut III, Phono Box or similar preamp and some more powered speakers. They don't have to be the Rokits. I was just getting a good deal. What would you suggest for my next setup? My range is around 600 again.

What are you calling "proper"? I had considered for my next setup (which will be primarily for bedroom use and for teaching my son how to take care of/spin them correctly) a Pro-Ject Debut III, Phono Box or similar preamp and some more powered speakers. They don't have to be the Rokits. I was just getting a good deal. What would you suggest for my next setup? My range is around 600 again.

$600 for the whole system is a pretty tight budget if you're spending $400 on the turntable.

You have a setup which is miles above everyone else's. Relax and enjoy it for a good long while. Don't drop another $600 right away. 

On this Friday (payday!) I plan on purchasing the exact same setup that you've got to replace my AT LP60. Couldn't be more excited.

You have a setup which is miles above everyone else's. Relax and enjoy it for a good long while. Don't drop another $600 right away. 

On this Friday (payday!) I plan on purchasing the exact same setup that you've got to replace my AT LP60. Couldn't be more excited.

I want to have an extra setup of good quality that can be used by everyone without worrying too much. As it is right now, the only people who will be touching the new stuff are the wife and me. I want one friends can use and my son. That's why I plan to buy used.

As has been mentioned, I would stick with what you have right now for a bit until you've got somewhere around $500 or so to spend on a good set of bookshelves and an integrated amp.

Speakers are definitely going to make the biggest difference in any setup. You've already got a nice turntable, and for the record the debut carbon is better than the debut iii, so I'm not sure why you'd be looking at one of those.

Just wait it out a bit and your ears will thank you in the end!