Record stores in the southern NY (not NYC) area with excellent variety?

I live in poughkeepsie so I have to vouch for darkside. Awesome shop and almost never busy. Havent gone to RSD there though so I cant speak on that part

I got there an hour before they opened last year and ended up not getting anything I wanted. I wouldn't have been so annoyed, but I was in line for like almost 3 hours before actually getting into the store and went 0/6. They had an instore with Titus Andronicus that day, but I didn't stick around.

People in Buffalo, Rochester, and Syracuse do not like being labeled Upstate. We think of Upstate as the Adirondacks.

We refer to you guys as "Western NY." Before going to New Paltz I went to school in Plattsburgh. Now that shit is Up-fucking-state. Basically Canada, but garbage.

I got there an hour before they opened last year and ended up not getting anything I wanted. I wouldn't have been so annoyed, but I was in line for like almost 3 hours before actually getting into the store and went 0/6. They had an instore with Titus Andronicus that day, but I didn't stick around.

Well, I hope it's not that bad this year. Was the line really that bad?

Well, I hope it's not that bad this year. Was the line really that bad?

It just took forever because they weren't just letting people into the store. They had all the RSD releases behind the counter and you would tell them what you wanted and they would grab it or tell you it was gone. Some people this would take 30 seconds, other people would be at the counter for 5-10 minutes. While you're in line they hand out a list of all the releases they got in along with the price. They would come out and announce when something sold out but apparently none of the shit I wanted was deemed important enough to announce.

They run it well, it just sucked because I was so far back.

In addition to Jack's and Rhino, Team Love Records (Conor Oberst's label) is based in New Paltz. They have a storefront that's open noon to 5 on Fri-Sun. You can get some of their releases their for a little cheaper (most notably to me, Desaparecidos 7"s for $5) and some other good new stuff! Also, if trekking down to Long Island is an option, Looney Tunes is an obvious must

Hey man! I'm originally from Binghamton area but I'm currently at school in New Paltz, so I lucked out having some great record stores closer-by. It might be a little ways for you, but Ithica's "Angry Mom Records" has a good selection and I think is one of the better stores in the area. SGR and Music City definitely fall short. If you can make the trip New Paltz/Poughkeepsie have a few nice places as was mentioned. The better stores are at least an hour away from Binghamton in each direction.

By the way Binghamton is considered Upstate, Hudson Valley and up usually is included in "upstate" as well, oddly enough. Glad to see a fellow collector in Bing though!

Hadn't heard of the "southern tier" before this thread, so my fault.

Brucewillis.. you are right, I guess Vinyl Resting Place did close.  Mike usually goes around to local shows and runs a distro though, so all is not lost.

Have to mention again how dope Darkside is.  Most likely worth the trip.

Good to know I wasn't/still am not the only NP student on this site! We're young ones hahaha

Yo is Kennedy's Fried Chicken any good? My buddies and I have been dying to go there, but it looks kinda sketchy.

The one in New Paltz, yes. It rules. Never been to another one though. It was halfway between the bars and my house so everything about it was perfect

I had no idea Team Love Records was in New Paltz. Kinda wish I had checked it out.

The one in New Paltz, yes. It rules. Never been to another one though. It was halfway between the bars and my house so everything about it was perfect

I had no idea Team Love Records was in New Paltz. Kinda wish I had checked it out.

Ah, there's one in Poughkeepsie that we always drive by. Maybe one day we'll check it out. Thanks!

As has already been said, Darkside is great. The people are friendly. I would stay away from Newburgh if you can. The owner of Vinyl Resting Place comes to all the punk shows with his selection and is super nice. But the selection is limited and Newburgh isn't the best area. Catch him at a show if you can. New Paltz is a little "hipster" town and has some nice areas and can be a good place to spend a day. There's two or three stores in that area with a good selection.

Hadn't heard of the "southern tier" before this thread, so my fault.

Brucewillis.. you are right, I guess Vinyl Resting Place did close.  Mike usually goes around to local shows and runs a distro though, so all is not lost.

Have to mention again how dope Darkside is.  Most likely worth the trip.

I always considered "Southern Tier" to be Jamestown/Salamanca/Olean area...ie...the middle of nowhere.  Years ago there was a pretty cool record store in Cortland called Subculture, but I doubt they're still open.  I haven't been in that are in a long time.

I am in Saratoga...and would certainly welcome splitting the state in half!

only 2 shops that i know of north of Poughkepsie....both in Albany Fuzz & Last Vestige, both are decent depending on what yr looking for.

Last vestige does not participate in RSD, but Fuzz sure does!

Did the Last Vestige in Saratoga close down? I grew up around there but rarely go back. Punk Rock Reptile in Albany was cool but I'm sure they closed down awhile ago along with Music Shack.

Wheres Jacks?

It's on Main Street somewhere between Cabs/Oasis and that coffee shop that always seems to have a different name.

A good rule of thumb with NY is if there are trees it's probably Upstate.