Reciever Help: Marantz 2250B Vs 2245

Im in the market for a new reciever. Any thoughts on the two above? I know the 2250B puts out more power but any other advantages over the 2245? Ive read alot of reviews for both recievers on various forums and they both seem to get good reviews. The 2245 I can get very reasonable in town, its been serviced, cleaned and has new LEDs installed. The 2250B is still completly original... Any input is appreciated! My shitty sony is no longer cutting it

"New" receiver. There's only a 5wpc channel difference right? So that doesn't really matter. The B versions were usually an updated version of the previous, so there could be something there. I'd say get the one that has been serviced, but because an all original means... Caps could go bad tomorrow.

What's the prices on the units? Rest of your system?

The 2245 is very cheap. Its a friend of mine who has it he is one of those guys who goes crazy with a certain hobby for a while and slowly looses interest and then offs everything for super cheap. The 2245 sounds great. It is still mostly stock. I guess he just had the pots cleaned... He bought it, cleaned the pots and put the led mods in. I popped the top and from what I can tell the caps are original.Glad i asked him what was "serviced" It's still in the range that if I had to fix something on it I wouldn't get hurt. I'm going to go with it, 45 watts is enough for me. I don't want to be the victim of a horrible EBay purchase. Thanks for the input.

Right now I just run my project carbon debut through my Sony receiver that's about four years old. I picked up a TC760LC pre amp to help boost my sound. I was actually quite impressed with it. At first I didn't ground the pre amp and it would hum like crazy. Since grounding properly the hum has pretty much went away. My speakers are JBL Northridge N26. It doesn't sound bad I just want a new setup for just my vinyl and not movies.

I will agree that they are nice units. I picked up a 2250B on craigslist about 6-7 months ago and I love it. It was a little pricey (less than new Marantz I was looking at) but it had just been recently serviced (cleaned, new lights and caps) with receipt for about $150 work. After taking a quick listen along with the service info I was very comfortable making the purchase. 

I'd say depending on the price, your ability to have it serviced in your area if needed and how you think it sounds, go for it. As for the 2245 it should be a great receiver, has plenty of power and has a solid phono stage.

I've got the 2230 and I"m pretty happy with it.  I bought it on ebay for ~ 200, but it didn't work when I received it, and the guy sent me 100 back to cover half of the repairs.  Works perfectly now, sounds great, gets incredibly loud, and for me it's everything I need at this time.

this doesn't answer your question but I think you'd be happy with any of them

Im in the market for a new reciever. Any thoughts on the two above? I know the 2250B puts out more power but any other advantages over the 2245? Ive read alot of reviews for both recievers on various forums and they both seem to get good reviews. The 2245 I can get very reasonable in town, its been serviced, cleaned and has new LEDs installed. The 2250B is still completly original... Any input is appreciated! My shitty sony is no longer cutting it

I own a Marantz 2245 and purchased it specifically after doing extensive research on the various Marantz 22xx series models. I came to the conclusion that, overall, it seems to be one of the more highly respected and higher quality models than some of the others in the series. In fact, the 2245 is essentially the same as a 2275 but is essentially capped at a lower output in order to achieve better performance. I'm not wording that right but hopefully you get the idea. I don't want to use the term "underpowered" because that's not accurate.

If I were you, I would jump on the 2245 with no hesitation especially if it has been serviced, cleaned and has the LED upgrade. It is simply a fantastic receiver and puts out more than enough power for a decent size room setup. It's not often I crank mine up even past 50% volume because it's simply not necessary very often. The sound is great, warm, and rich and with the right turntable/tonearm/cart combo you can really achieve some fantastic clarity and depth of sound even with the on-board phono preamp.

I would ask if the power switch has been replaced since it's going to be the most commonly used button on really any receiver. The spring catch in mine finally gave out last month and I replaced it myself. Very easy to do even if you have passing soldering skills. I do have multiple spares along with the necessary capacitor if you need it as well. Still not bad after what... 35+ years of use.

That's my 2 cents but I guarantee if you go along with it you'll have no regrets.

Also, I know several extremely experienced people to service/upgrade your Marantz should you ever decide to do that as well.