Discogs: Buyer not responding?

Sorry if this is the wrong section, I wasn't sure which one it fit best so I thought I'd play it safe and go with everything else.

There's info on what to do if the seller is not responding... but I'm trying to figure out how to proceed here, I'll bring you up to speed.

Buyer from non-english speaking country with a bit of feedback (3-5 range) places order, I reply the next day with shipping options and prices and say 'let me know which shipping method you want, and I'll invoice you'

So nothing for a few days so I say 'maybe you weren't anticipating the additional shipping costs and feel it's too high, this is why I alert int'l buyers to contact before checking out. but no problem I can just cancel your order if you want, and I won't neg you, I'll just ask that you leave me positive feedback, let me know what you want to do'

few more days go by and still nothing, so now at this point I realize 3 things:

1) Maybe this person has like zero knowledge of english and they are just waiting for a straight up invoice so they can click and complete the order.

2) If I had invoiced them right away, and it took this long, they'd be a non-paying buyer and I could just cancel there order.

3) If I just wait forever for this dude to pick, I can't relist the item.

So I'm not sure what Discogs' policy is, even after searching and I don't want to break the rules or get negged by the seller so this is what I am thinking.

They have a bit of feedback, but if they are not responding I don't want to invoice them for any shipping that doesn't have tracking... trouble is: tracking is going to be an arm and a leg.

So here's my thoughts: I could invoice the seller for the amount with tracking/delivery confirmation and then either wait them out and cancel as a non-paying buyer. Or see if they say anything back and then cancel due to buyer's request.

I have a feeling if I invoice them for the price of delivery confirmation they won't be willing to pay, but who knows?

Any thoughts from sellers who are familiar with the ins-and-outs of Discogs?  I'm thinking I'll send them an invoice tonight, just to get the ball rolling, cause I don't think it would be wise to just cancel out of fear of getting negged.

I'd just cancel the sale at this point. If you really want the sale though, I'd try sending them an invoice for the amount of your preferred shipping method... See if they pay. If not, don't waste any more time and shut it down.

Yeah thing is, you can only say they're not a non-paying buyer if they've been invoiced for 5 days or something like that.  It's been 5 days of non-communication but there's been no invoice yet.

So I can't really cancel just yet cause he was never actually invoiced, he just hasn't replied to anything.

So I'll have to invoice him and then wait another 5 days and then I should be safe from receiving a neg, and the worst thing that could happen is they actually pay the shipping cost.

I kinda hope they don't pay though... I'm not that eager to make the sale only because the record they bought is vol 1 of 2, so I don't want to be stuck with just a vol 2 if that one doesn't sell.

Sounds douchey, but I'm thinking I'd rather just try to force a cancelled order.  After zero communication I don't think it's unreasonable. On the other hand I'm thinking maybe this guy doesn't speak a lick of english. But then there's google translate and everyone understands dollar signs. I gave 3 options, dude could have just picked one.  Are there people who check out and then don't go on their computer for a week?

I mean discogs #1 problem for me was int'l buyer w/ 0 feedback wanting the cheapest shipping method, and deliquent buyers w/ zero feedback who sign up, check out and then never return/respond.

This person actually has a few point of feedback though, so I'm not nearly as quick to write them off.

I'd just cancel the sale at this point. If you really want the sale though, I'd try sending them an invoice for the amount of your preferred shipping method... See if they pay. If not, don't waste any more time and shut it down.

THIS^^

Or you could just end item as "Canceled on Sellers request - 'Item Not Available'" then I don't think you would get bad feedback. 

Yeah thing is, you can only say they're not a non-paying buyer if they've been invoiced for 5 days or something like that.  It's been 5 days of non-communication but there's been no invoice yet.

So I can't really cancel just yet cause he was never actually invoiced, he just hasn't replied to anything.

So I'll have to invoice him and then wait another 5 days and then I should be safe from receiving a neg, and the worst thing that could happen is they actually pay the shipping cost.

I kinda hope they don't pay though... I'm not that eager to make the sale only because the record they bought is vol 1 of 2, so I don't want to be stuck with just a vol 2 if that one doesn't sell.

Sounds douchey, but I'm thinking I'd rather just try to force a cancelled order.  After zero communication I don't think it's unreasonable. On the other hand I'm thinking maybe this guy doesn't speak a lick of english. But then there's google translate and everyone understands dollar signs. I gave 3 options, dude could have just picked one.  Are there people who check out and then don't go on their computer for a week?

I mean discogs #1 problem for me was int'l buyer w/ 0 feedback wanting the cheapest shipping method, and deliquent buyers w/ zero feedback who sign up, check out and then never return/respond.

This person actually has a few point of feedback though, so I'm not nearly as quick to write them off.

See above post (mine)

I have cancelled orders before due to non-payment after a certain number of days. Someone tried to buy an Alexisonfire thing and didn't pay for a while, and I eventually said 'Please send payment or communication or I will be forced to re-list the item.' He said he couldn't pay until Friday of the next week, which would have made his payment period a total of 2 weeks where the album was in limbo. I politely told him I don't do business that way. The option was there to click, and I did, and Discogs automatically gives negative feedback and the reason for it (in my case it said No payment received from buyer after 6 days.)

If you are wary of giving premature negative feedback, don't click that button, but after a while it becomes unreasonable to continue waiting.

I'm in the cancel boat with this. I've had about 5 people do this to me in my few years on Discogs, and I started putting that payment is due within 48 hours of clicking pay, contrary to Discogs policy, and just cancel if no communication is made within those 48 hours. You may want to invoice still, as was suggested, to try and cover your buns. You can add a note to the invoice too saying something like "hey this is for X type of shipping but if you want Y type, let me know and I can create a new invoice." best of luck, these situations can be frustrating!

you can also cancel due to not being for sale anymore, which is what I regularly do as it does not leave negative feedback for the buyer. 

Jumping on the cancel train.  I have it very clearly stated that I won't ship outside the US on mine, but people ignore that and still order even if they live elsewhere.  I just cancel with a 'buyer requested'.  I haven't had any issues with that yet, even though I'm sure there's a more proper way to do it.

why havent you invoiced him yet?

Because he didn't choose a shipping method... from here to their country ranges from $20 for surface - $40 for air - $75 for 6 business day express w/ signature conf.

I was giving him the option to choose a shipping method. That's why I didn't invoice him yet. It's all in the OP

Because he didn't choose a shipping method... from here to their country ranges from $20 for surface - $40 for air - $75 for 6 business day express w/ signature conf.

I was giving him the option to choose a shipping method. That's why I didn't invoice him yet. It's all in the OP

If he doesn't specify an alternate shipping method at point of order, isn't it just whatever is listed in your Seller's Terms / cheapest and slowest?

I have specific prices listed in Seller's Terms for Canada / International orders, and simply add them at the invoice.

Most concerned patrons from outside the country have messaged me first asking how much it would be.

If he doesn't specify an alternate shipping method at point of order, isn't it just whatever is listed in your Seller's Terms / cheapest and slowest?

I have specific prices listed in Seller's Terms for Canada / International orders, and simply add them at the invoice.

Most concerned patrons from outside the country have messaged me first asking how much it would be.

I have specific prices for Canada and USA... it says for anywhere else to contact before checking out.

So I offered him the rates Canada post gave me and told him he could choose. Some people want to go cheap, and others don't want to wait 2 months to get a record.

Anyway, I invoiced the dude and he finally spoke up for the first time less than 4 hours later.

Said he'd 'been busy' and wanted the order cancelled cause shipping was too much hahaha.

Discogs can be so dumb sometimes. Just don't check out if you can't be bothered to reply to a message. All he had to do was type 1 word and hit 'send' - Surface, Air, or Express.  The whole site depends on communication between buyer and seller. Or contact first like it says in the terms and get a shipping price before wasting my time. 

I swear people do this when they see the lowest price on something just so it's unlisted so no one else can actually buy it while they twiddle their thumbs.