PO: Warpaint 'Heads Up' Pink + Black LIMITED at Rough Trade

On 9/17/2016 at 4:27 PM, dnl said:

I got my copy from RT today. Its just as good as their s/t. Still don't understand the hate for New Song. Sounds even better in context of the whole album.

I got the album on Saturday and listened to it all the way through once. There are some great songs on there and unfortunately some over production with too many layers that seem to hide the core band and their instrumental contribution. I would have liked more acoustic drums but overall this album is pretty good. It may grow on me more but "New Song" is still a steaming pile and sticks out like a sore thumb in the context of the album. Nothing else on this album sounds as desperately dumbed down. Nothing else on the album sounds dumbed down at all.

"Disco//very" is a good example of them being upbeat and still retaining the sound of a band playing live in the studio. The production of this album is a bit too stiff and bloated in some songs for me.

Overall I really like this album, it's not quite as consistently pleasing as the rest of their discography but it's an impressive foray into a different style that works for the most part. Knew I wouldn't regret dropping money ahead of hearing anything these ladies can really do no wrong by me.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I just want to amend or extend the review in my previous post to say that this album really is excellent. Its not just "pretty good" anymore. There are so many colorful layers to it that I do enjoy. I will stand by my previous statement and insist that there still seems to be too many distracting layers that obscure some of the primary instrumentation and the mix is still pretty flat and lacking in dynamic. Looking past all that there is an amazing album in there and I have had time to focus on the layers that I find more enjoyable. "New Song" is still a blemish but after three albums and an EP of pure awesomeness, I'll forgive them that. Still, it really interrupts the album for me.

"The Stall" however is such a highlight that it almost undoes the pain of "New Song" on it's own and since the whole rest of the album is so great it helps to obscure the disappointment in just that song.

RE: Typical Vinyl Collective Talk:

The all black variant is truly awesome and is pressed from a different stamper altogether. Has way more lead in groove than the pink/black and just plays really nice. The discogs pages for each version indicates different matrix numbers and of course I never got around to looking at them but I trust discogs is correct. I almost want to say that it has a little less overall compression but I haven't actually A/B'd the pressings to be sure.

• 2 weeks later...

There is a numbered limited 7" white vinyl  edition of Whiteout due in January (1000 worldwide, 400 only for the US).

http://www.bullmoose.com/p/24476504/warpaint-whiteout-limited-edition

https://www.normanrecords.com/records/162830-warpaint-whiteout

Edited by Roandy55