Does Anyone Here Lift Weights?

Something like:

Monday -- squat, bench, military press

Wednesday -- deadlift, curls, abs

Friday -- squat, bench, 1 set of dips.

Go for reps of 5 to 8 over 5 sets and try and put a couple extra pounds on the bar each week. If you feel like you have plateaued, mix things up around that routine but not too much (take a week off, go for higher volume/lower weight, etc).

For abs, use a roman chair or some kind of weighted leg lift, don't do sets of 100 sit-ups.

Throw in cardio as you see fit. I think you'll be better off skipping it at first and focusing on the lifts (especially the squat), but it doesn't hurt as long as it isn't getting in the way (keep it light and short as a warmup). Abs are made in the kitchen, and lifts like the squat will also strengthen your core.

For protein, it's mostly just a matter of taste preference. It's the same main ingredient. I like to mix up the brands/flavors just to keep it from getting old. Currently using dymatize.

Something like:

Go for reps of 5 to 8 over 5 sets and try and put a couple extra pounds on the bar each week. If you feel like you have plateaued, mix things up around that routine but not too much (take a week off, go for higher volume/lower weight, etc).

For abs, use a roman chair or some kind of weighted leg lift, don't do sets of 100 sit-ups.

Throw in cardio as you see fit. I think you'll be better off skipping it at first and focusing on the lifts (especially the squat), but it doesn't hurt as long as it isn't getting in the way (keep it light and short as a warmup). Abs are made in the kitchen, and lifts like the squat will also strengthen your core.

For protein, it's mostly just a matter of taste preference. It's the same main ingredient. I like to mix up the brands/flavors just to keep it from getting old. Currently using dymatize.

You can throw shrugs in too if you want. Doesn't really matter what day. Kind of an isolated exercise.

Thanks man. I was actually going to PM you about it, but I figured I would find this thread and post. Haha. I used to do my ab work out on an inclined plain and did like 25 regular/25 with a medicine ball and then 100 Russian Twists with a medicine ball. I was going to take the protein once in the morning and again after working out. I'm going to start today. I will update tomorrow with what I did or something

Cool! It's not like I'm a personal trainer or a hulking dude or anything, just happy to share what I've read.

Definitely one shake after working out. Other than that, it's just about having the right calories/macronutrients for whatever you are trying to do (get big, lose weight, etc). So whatever works for you. Good luck.

Cool! It's not like I'm a personal trainer or a hulking dude or anything, just happy to share what I've read.

Definitely one shake after working out. Other than that, it's just about having the right calories/macronutrients for whatever you are trying to do (get big, lose weight, etc). So whatever works for you. Good luck.

Yeah I know, but you seem to know what you're doing/have a strong grasp on weight training and what not to give some sound advice, so I appreciate it. Thanks again man

I feel like certain muscles are getting bigger over others. My shoulders are much bigger than my arms should be. Would if be stupid to focus solely on the muscles that need the improvement and work on the others that have improved more less occasionally? It's mostly my arms, and chest that need the most improvement.

Guest deleted

Think you've read a bit of this thread so won't go into too much detail.

Starting Strength by Rippetoe is the go to book on free weights. Mentioned it a few times but can't hurt to keep putting up here. You are 100% right you need to ditch the machines. The general idea is that the body has evolved to move in a certain way and there are a few key lifts that work the muscles of the body in these ways (squat, deadlift, bench are the big three). Everyone who gets serious into strength training ends up at free weights. What good is locking your body into a machine that can only move in one direction? You'll never encounter that in your life.

The book is an easy read and tells exactly what you are looking for (how to breath, space your feet, common mistakes, etc). You can buy it or easily find it online in the usual ways.

Why drinking potato protein? Whey is the go-to. It's a complete protein (every necessary amino acid) and is broken down by the body very quickly (so it is usable fast). Its no big deal if you finish out what you have, but don't buy more. That stuff is really only needed by vegans.

And if you like the gym, cool. But it's considerably more expensive than lifting at home. There's always stuff on Craigslist and you can get everything you need for ~300. Really, it's free though. If you buy at a low price, you can pretty much always sell for the same price. Iron doesn't decrease in value if clean. Gotta have the space though.

Something like:

You guys might want to just call each other. Will save you a half hour of typing.

(Pats everyone's ass on the way out.)

(Pats everyone's ass on the way out.)

Dude I made a smart ass comment in your Fukushima thread poking fun so you went around looking for long posts of mine to try and throw it back at me? You win now? That's pretty weird behavior.

This thread is positive and healthy discussion for the most part. Keep the drama to yours.

The alien angle in season 2 threw me for a loop.

I feel like certain muscles are getting bigger over others. My shoulders are much bigger than my arms should be. Would if be stupid to focus solely on the muscles that need the improvement and work on the others that have improved more less occasionally? It's mostly my arms, and chest that need the most improvement.

Theoretically you should always be trying to improve all of them anyways (even if some are more advanced than others). Unless you are saying that you are so out of proportion it is a problem?

Maybe try two sets of curls a week -- 1 for hyper trophy (sets of 8 to 10) and one for strength (sets if 3-5). All these rules/programs/etc are just a guide, so feel free to bend them, just don't break them (ie, curls 5 times a week).

Just how I would maybe play it.

On Saturday I went in a local personal training places "Liftoff For Lupus." There were 31 lifters and we got 3 lifts each. I did 375 for my first, 415 for my second (the video) and then tried 450 for my last one and didn't even come close. Was a cool experience though.

Guest deleted

Dude I made a smart ass comment in your Fukushima thread poking fun so you went around looking for long posts of mine to try and throw it back at me? You win now? That's pretty weird behavior.

This thread is positive and healthy discussion for the most part. Keep the drama to yours.

I "went around looking" about 3 posts above or below the Fukushima thread and did the exact same thing as you, "poking fun". Even used your exact quote for the fun! :D

Won't happen again.

• 3 weeks later...

So has anyone do or has done yoga? I am loving it!!! Especially since being 6'6" and being confined to campus desks....my lower back was annoying me :/ But I started doing the "plow" and other stuff and wow! it is boss mode! #HashSwag

Now that I am graduating soon, thus meaning I won't be a bouncer at the local night club but rather an investment advisor....I decided I wanted to shed some pounds and it feels great! Dropped a pant size and started to get a little leaner....I think I've come to the conclusion that I will always be barrel chested (I blame Dbol :P), even when I give up alcohol and add sit ups and planks to my routines :'(

I will often stretch, but no yoga. I've always kind of wanted to get into it. I'm sure there is plenty of videos on youtube, or torrents out there that could get me started. Maybe...

I started Stronglifts 5x5 about 2 weeks ago. I like it, its pretty much the same exercises I've been doing for the past 2 years, just in a more structured format. I am starting from the beginning though, I added a few pounds to some exercises but for the most part, I'm starting with that 105 bench press. I'm just kind of bored and feel like trying a program from the start. So, we'll see. It's going to take me about 3 months to get back up to my working weight, I'm excited to see how it'll feel at that time. 

• 4 weeks later...

Hey people smarter than me with weights. Quick question. I want to bulk my arms up just a little bit I think. Xbox has a free P90x Shoulders, Biceps and Triceps routine free on Xbox. I only have like a 20 - 25 lb set of dumbbells. They aren't adjustable, I just don't remember the exact amount. My wife has a set of 8s.

I used and tried the workout and it seemed to work pretty well. Sometimes it was a shade too easy, other times it was pretty hard for me to get to 8 to 10 reps. Assuming I'm careful to avoid injury, can I just do that for a few months? Is there a better routine with those weights? I don't want to buy new shit because frankly, I'm not that motivated. 

Hey people smarter than me with weights. Quick question. I want to bulk my arms up just a little bit I think. Xbox has a free P90x Shoulders, Biceps and Triceps routine free on Xbox. I only have like a 20 - 25 lb set of dumbbells. They aren't adjustable, I just don't remember the exact amount. My wife has a set of 8s.

I used and tried the workout and it seemed to work pretty well. Sometimes it was a shade too easy, other times it was pretty hard for me to get to 8 to 10 reps. Assuming I'm careful to avoid injury, can I just do that for a few months? Is there a better routine with those weights? I don't want to buy new shit because frankly, I'm not that motivated. 

Buy the iron gym. The pullup (you should see the backs of your hands, chinup is when you see the palms) is the most complete arm/shoulder exercise you can do.

Do two sets a week and no more. Make one kinda light, and on the other, push yourself as far as you can (depending on where you are at, maybe 4 sets of 8 and then on the last set, as many as possible). Theoretically at some point you should start adding weight (they sell chains for this) but pullups are pretty hard as is for most people's body weights.

You are limiting yourself by only doing upper body. There's a reason you've never seen anyone with huge arms and skinny legs -- our body likes to grow in certain proportions, although there is some room for variation around that creating different body types. If all you want is some more muscle on your arms, you can get there without too much work.

Yoga is great. I really hurt my back at work a couple weeks ago and so I torrented some yoga stuff while I was stuck at home. Been doing it since and feel stronger now than I was before I hurt my back

I had a heavy deadlift I was going to set down. Saw my dog out of the corner of my eye and was worried I was going to hit her with the bar on the way down. Lost form and hurt my back.

Took a month off and tried to squat again. Felt good, but my back hurt for two weeks afterwards. Thinking I might have a bulged disc. Bummer.

I've been running stairs and just squatting my body weight for a couple weeks to keep leg strength. Going to give it a full 6 months with no exercises that compress the spine (ie, squat and deadlift). If I'm still hurting after that one, just have to fundamentally change my goals (eat differently and go for smaller but leaner). Oh well, it happens.

I have really low ceilings, like inches between the door jam. Pull ups on bars are super hard. Would push-up routine work?

I'm not going for huge arms. Just a little size and définition. I don't do strength for legs but I do soccer 3 times a week plus running. I'd be open to body weight stuff but not hitting the gym for one leg day.

Thanks for the reply though!

Pushups and curls will work too (they each work different muscles). Just not as good as a proper strength training program.

It's going to be hard to put on a lot of muscle doing that much cardio. There's a reason runners tend to be small. In order to put on size you want to work out hard for a short period of time with heavy weight and then eat a calorie surplus. Runners do the opposite -- they burn a ton of calories but don't stress their body in the way that produces an overload effect, so the body doesn't rebuild more muscle than was previously there.

So just do pushups/curls 2 times a week and see what you can get. It sounds like it will be sufficient.

Just started my pre-season strength training routine today. It's designed for endurance athletes and is pretty light. The goal is to strengthen the body to endure a full race season. It was weird picking up weights again after a good while off. I haven't lost a ton of strength while focusing on my other sports but my bench is way down from where it was when I left off. 

Almost out of protein powder. Any recommendations out there....I am sick of mine. Was thinking of trying scivation because...science..anyone ever tried it?

I actually hopped on here looking for recommendations too. I've tried lots of different types from various companies and some taste better than others, but I don't know how good they are beyond that. Haha, I'm such a newb. Anyway, so yeah, I'm curious as to what works for you guys.

I got this vegan protein powder. Tastes like shit but feels better in the body than muscle milk. I always found MM to sit heavy. Im always up for a rec as well.

Three sessions into my pre season strength training and my brain is suddenly triggered to how much I miss weights. Now that I understand building my cardio training for racing im going to keep up a couple sessions each week for the year. Body is responding so positively to simple directed 40 minute sessions. Should have consulted a coach a year ago.

Muscle feast! It's all natural and I've used it for a long time, a place around here called supzilla sells it in bulk, it can be found on Amazon though. I either go with that or bodybuilding.com brand.

I mix a scope of vanilla in with plain oatmeal most mornings, so I ordered the Muscle Feast vanilla whey. Thanks for the suggestion!