Does Anyone Here Lift Weights?

• 1 month later...

Competed in my second Tri today. My goal was 1:25:00 - this would have been a 5 minute improvement over my first race. 

Finished in under 1:13:00. 

Not bad after losing my bike chain and taking on a flat tire at the end of my ride. 

Need to really work on my run but I smell 1:10:00 in two months time. Set a solid bar to compete against so back to training tomorrow. 

Sweet.

Some of the free weight guys might get some use out of this:

http://www.oocities.org/elitemadcow1/5x5_Program/Periodized_5x5.htm

I've been using the spreadsheet. I don't follow it 100%. I don't do rows. There is something up with my upper back. So I substitute shrugs. I also use an overhead / military press instead of an incline bench.

But anyways, its a really helpful tool just for keeping up progression (ie, a system of lightening up and going for heavier loads over a series of weeks vs. just doing sets of 5 that tire you out but the weight never increasing). Really making some good progress on the squat.

Sweet.

Some of the free weight guys might get some use out of this:

http://www.oocities.org/elitemadcow1/5x5_Program/Periodized_5x5.htm

I've been using the spreadsheet. I don't follow it 100%. I don't do rows. There is something up with my upper back. So I substitute shrugs. I also use an overhead / military press instead of an incline bench.

But anyways, its a really helpful tool just for keeping up progression (ie, a system of lightening up and going for heavier loads over a series of weeks vs. just doing sets of 5 that tire you out but the weight never increasing). Really making some good progress on the squat.

Looks pretty cool. Probably give this a try later in the year, thanks.

Been "cutting" since I've been back at work for 5 weeks, just been eating very well, stepping the cardio (30 mins 2/1 & 1/1 HIIT runs / crosstrainer, 40 mins on weekends) and sticking to that MFT 28 backbone and I've put on 5lbs but defiantly lost fat.....

Lebowski, any advice for shredding the last dreaded bits of fat off? It's just sticking around on my sides a bit and at the front. I think some of it could be excess skin from being a right fat bastard but its proving pretty hard to budge.

What is your size, weight, and a guess a your body fat? Your question is pretty open ended.

If you think you have your diet and exercise right, the only thing you could really add on top would be diet pills. They do help (especially to get the last few pounds off).

The other option might be to completely change what you are doing. Go for strength gains and forget about cutting? 5 weeks isn't too long. A lot f people cut for 8. Just kinda looking forward and saying that eventually you will see diminishing returns and after 5 weeks it might be starting. Can't just cut forever unless you only care about keeping skinny and not strong.

I've been cutting for about 6 weeks now. I'm so ready to be done with it. It's so fucking annoying eating every 3 hours and I'm at a stale mate or decreasing my strength in every exercise. It's a bummer but I still have a lot of fat to lose, I'm at around the 25% body fat range.

Think I've only lost about 12-15lbs, but I've gone down a size in everything. Still seeing very little definition in my body, but feel great. The scale really isn't that important to me. If I'm still shrinking, but the scale isn't moving, I know I'm turning fat into muscle, and I'm cool with that.

Also, I do zero cardio, I know that would speed me up even more, but god damn after the Army, I don't ever want to run again. 

But to Vialister, I was using Cellucor Super HD for a few weeks. Its a nice fat burner. Gives you a good caffeine boost without crashing you down. It's highly recommended at bodybuilding.com, I found it locally for $38 w/ 60pills. I loved the shit, just don't feel like buying it again. I keep my metabolism going with the small meals. How often are you eating, maybe try splitting up your meals? Like I said, I do about 300-350 calories every 3 hours. With at least 30-50g protien, maybe 10-20g carbs, per meal. From the moment I wake up, to the moment I sleep I keep it up. So if it's been 3 hours, and it's 1am I'll eat a shit ton of cottage cheese or something before bed. 

http://www.bodybuilding.com/store/cellucor/super-hd.html

What is your size, weight, and a guess a your body fat? Your question is pretty open ended.

5ft 11", 91kg and at the last check, before the "cut" iI was 14.5% (not saying thats 100% it was on a machine in my local gym).

This was going to be for 6 weeks whilst i'm away and I fully tell the difference & with my weight training that i'm doing, my strength isn't going down (yet). I'm still pushing the same weight and have actually had to add for big compound exercises.

Think its just a case of keeping the same cardio and diet more than a full blow cutting phase.

I'm taking CLA & Thermopure religiously as well, the thermopure definitely helps when training.

I keep my metabolism going with the small meals. How often are you eating, maybe try splitting up your meals? Like I said, I do about 300-350 calories every 3 hours. With at least 30-50g protien, maybe 10-20g carbs, per meal. From the moment I wake up, to the moment I sleep I keep it up. So if it's been 3 hours, and it's 1am I'll eat a shit ton of cottage cheese or something before bed. 

http://www.bodybuilding.com/store/cellucor/super-hd.html

Cheers for the advice man but unfortunately that's out the question haha. I work 11 hour days and then train straight after so I hardly get chance to prepare an exciting evening meal never mind the rest & also have time to eat them! Another thing is i'm in Azerbaijan which is pretty much the arsehole of the world when it comes to good food, I miss cottage cheese so bad.

saying that, I have a shit ton of protein with me so i have a 25g on a morning, 50 after training and 30-50 of casein on an evening.

Appreciate the help guys!

I'm not saying you are doing things exactly as I would with your workouts and diet but it sounds like you are fine and just need to have patience. The further you go, the harder it is to get the next ounce of fat loss or the next pound added on to the bar. Keep at it until you clearly stall out.

I'm not saying you are doing things exactly as I would with your workouts and diet but it sounds like you are fine and just need to have patience. The further you go, the harder it is to get the next ounce of fat loss or the next pound added on to the bar. Keep at it until you clearly stall out.

Yeah, the first 4 stone dropped off in a matter of months haha. I can tell the difference in tone and everything now over this year, just the last stubborn bits.

Out of interest, how would you done things?

My max is 225 since I've been cutting.. I've seen pictures of you on instagram and no offense, you're a pretty average build. So you doing a 5x5 at 185 isn't bad. I'd be pretty happy with that, and continue to move up. You don't seem to have a lot of fat to lose, and moving to heavier weight will most likely turn it to muscle anyways. 

Even if you lose 10lbs you're going to notice a drop in just about everything. Try and keep your meals protein heavy so you don't lose as much strength. 

body-fat-percentage-men.jpg

For me, this is the best reference for body fat, I feel like a machine is always going to be off a bit. Gauge where you're at, and where you want to be. I say go heavier weight and turn into muscle.  

Edit...this was directed towards jesse. I also didn't mean you're an average build as a bad thing. 

^Thanks for the info. Yea I shouldnt have said lose fat, more like just want to get a little more definition. Really dont want to lose any weight just trying to tone up a bit. And Ive pretty much been living on chicken and fish as well as 1-2 protein shakes a day. 

Post a quick summary of your weekly routine, diet, and any supplements you take. Just that you are stuck at 185 isn't enough for the complete picture.

I'm in good shape but not jacked and I'm not a personal trainer or anything. I have read a few books on weightlifting and nutrition. I feel like I know as much as your average gym rat and might be able to suggest a thing or two.

Post a quick summary of your weekly routine, diet, and any supplements you take. Just that you are stuck at 185 isn't enough for the complete picture.

I'm in good shape but not jacked and I'm not a personal trainer or anything. I have read a few books on weightlifting and nutrition. I feel like I know as much as your average gym rat and might be able to suggest a thing or two.

For my workout Im currently doing the first 5X5 listed here: http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/wotw56.htm and recently Ive been trying to increase my cardio. Not a lot just maybe 3 times a week or so.

Diet: Been eating as clean as possible. Trying to up my veggies. Lots of chicken and fish, usually make up two of my daily meals with those. Raw nuts and fruit for snacks. 

Supplements: Nothing much here. Usually a protein shake in the morning, and creatine and protein shake post work out.

Been really hitting the gym for the past few months and have definitely noticed some muscle gain from what I was. Now I kinda what to carve out a little definition before going for more gains. 

Program is good but even though the one you reference is given a #1, the second workout listed on that site (madcow) is a more widely accepted strength training format (fewer exercises, more focus on the big ones). Up to you but I personally would favor the second one.

Even that site says cardio should be kept to a minimum when running a 5x5. There's just no point to it. It hinders progress on the most important compound lifts (like squat and deadlift) by tiring out the muscles without stressing them in the way that causes them to grow. And in order to put more iron on the bar, you need to have a calorie surplus. If your cardio puts you on a deficit, you are going to probably fight to keep what you have if not fall back a little.

Supplements are fine. Should probably add fish oil (some people consider this the most important one of them all) and a multivitamin (maybe you are already).

But overall, it just seems to me on the surface that you are trying to do too much and just need to focus yourself a little more. Going with BigBruise's comment on you (average build, not fat) I would so completely ditch the cardio, throw a few more carbs into the diet (carbs can be the enemy sometimes but they really are important to keeping our muscles performing at their highest level), and do a program that focuses more on heavy lifts and lower volume of exercises. You can lose a little fat you pick up later. Unless you are really a shorter fella, 185 is too early to be accepting as a strength peak. Go for the thousand pound club! (squat + deadlift + bench > 1000 pounds)

No prob. And yeah, I guess your goals weren't clear (but they are now). If you are trying to slim down, you really want to shoot for reps of 10:

XLqMG.jpg

The idea behind a 5x5 is that it provides an adequate balance between strength and hypertrophy (a fancy word for stressing your muscles so they get bigger). It's why a 1RM doesn't really "burn" but a 10RM really makes you feel it. And it also explains why bigger does not equal stronger (correlation, yes, but they aren't equal).

Something like the madcow exercise schedule squat 3x a week, bench 2x, deadlift 1x, military press 1x, rows 2x, and whatever extra exercises you want to throw in once a week (weighted situps, chins or curls, and tricep extensions) would be a solid program. Something like 3 sets of 10 lifts, maybe sets of 5 on the deadlift. Keeping the exercises constant but scaling back on the weight and increasing the reps will help preserve strength during a cut (versus say for example, barely lifting infrequently and running everyday).

Good luck.

• 3 weeks later...

I just started using creatine pre-workout. I'm still not sure what it's supposed to do, I believe allow you to do a little more and not feel as burnt? I took a break from the weights to "cut" a bit and only run, getting back into it now and I definitely feel weaker. We get a free gym membership from work at the community center so I've been hitting that up. Debating whether or not I want to try the Insanity workout with my wife. She's actually kicking ass with cardio (walking/jogging) and passed her first goal, I'm very proud of her.

Pre workouts just give you a pump. Packed with caffeine. I haven't worked out with out it, in...forever. Creatine is a building tool. Your body already has some, but if building, it's recommended to drink a lot. Your muscles are what, 70% water? Creatine keeps them soaked in water. Improves progress.

Also, I'm sure lebowski is going to destroy your questions. I gave you tl:Dr version.

Funny.

The other main purpose of a preworkout is to increase nitric oxide, which helps carry oxygen to the muscles.

There a biochemical answer to why you should take creatine (won't try and butcher it), but the short of it is that it is near universally accepted it works, has no negative health effects, and is pretty cheap. Whether you get it through a preworkout or separate is your choice. Some people (like Bruise), like the stimulant effect. I sometimes find it harder to concentrate sometimes and feel jittery. Sometimes I use them, sometimes I don't. 

If you post the brand, I will look up the label and see what else is in it.

I quibbled with the insanity people a little in their thread. I don't think it is the way to go for strength training (which on a basic level is no cardio, heavy free weight training, food, and rest) or for losing weight (which is probably more than 50% diet but also lighter weight training, some cardio, and rest). Insanity is too much repetition of exercise with little resistance, not enough rest. If you believe in it, though, go for it. Not saying it won't get you to a better place than where you are right now. Just don't think it's the best path.

It's this:

http://answers.walmart.com/answers/1336/product/10322411/questions.htm

Wasn't expensive but had decent ratings online. I'm still skeptical about the Insanity work out, I have a very physical job as it is and even with the weights alone I feel beat at the end of the day. Trying to eat and rest more but it's not always an option, but I figure if I work with dudes that are big then I can do it too, to an extent. I've come to the conclusion that I'll never be big, I just don't want to have sticks for limbs haha.

Not really sure how a workout program should change for someone with a physical job. I've got a desk job. I'm sure there's an article on it somewhere in the google universe.

The label:

ibyrg9.jpg

BCAAs help with recovery. Amino acids are the building blocks of proteins. So it is kinda like giving your body protein that it doesn't need to digest first.

Arginine breaks down into nitric oxide in the body, which helps carry oxygen.

Stevia extract is probably doing nothing. Maybe you get some anti-oxidants out of it. Just something so they can say their "proprietary blend" is different than someone else's.

Other stuff is just vitamins and minerals.

Now, the thing with creatine is that it is absorbed into the cells through insulin pathways. This happens with lots of nutrients -- you work out, your body releases insulin when you finish, nutrients hitch a ride into the cells, then the cells work to rebuild themselves (hopefully stronger). So there is a bit of a tradeoff to make. You want the insulin spike to spur this process, but at the same time, that drink has almost the same amount of sugar as a can of soda. I don't think I need to go into why that could lead to fat gain if taken regularly.

Some people take creatine drinks with sugar, some with sugar substitutes (trying to "trick" your body into thinking it has eaten sugar), and some take it plain with a protein drink or some food.

From a practical standpoint, the one you bought is fine. I would just split the serving up into half before a workout and half after. We all eat sugar, it's fine. Just don't want to take too much in a short period of time (cause our body will store it as fat). Also, that one has no caffeine in it. Not all of them do. It's a "stim-free preworkout".