Help! My wife got a new job.. And hates it.

So, my wife recently lost her job as administrative assistant at a school that closed. She worked there for about 5 years, and was working with her sister and a lot of her friends. She was lucky enough to find another job that pays pretty similarly doing the same thing. The only downside is that her new school uses a different system and is a school for people with hearing and speech problems. She has only worked two days and is crying nonstop at home because nobody there really knows what she's supposed to be doing and the girl she took over for had things in certain places that she doesn't know where to look. I've tried telling her she'll get use to it, but she just doesn't believe that's true. I also feel like it's also because she doesn't have the comfort of knowing that she has friends/family there at work with her.Do you guys/girls have any advice on how I can cheer her up?

starting a new job is never really easy and its something people go through every day. i started a new job about a month and a half ago and was pretty overwhelmed with the amount of information thrown at me at once. there's also the "fish out of water" feeling that needs a bit of time to subside. the upside is that at the end of the day, work is work but its not your life - you always get to come home. take it as a challenge and keep in mind that you can always look for something else.

I went through a similar situation with my wife. She hated a job, I found her a new one that paid more and was not as hard. She ended up hating the people she worked for, and the people who came in to the store, so I got her a job at a record store that she said was her favorite job ever, annnnnnd she hates it haha. Work is not fun, because for one, you do not get to be around each other as much as you like, you spend time with people you really do not care about, in the end you know you are there to work so your family can enjoy life outside of work, and be able to afford to do fun things together. Tell her to give it another month, see if things get better, and if she doesn't like it still you will do whatever you can to get her out of there.

I hate my job so freakin much I can't even sleep at night because of the stress so I asked for a transfer. Tell her to give it a little more time and if she still hates it, to then explore other options. There are always other options.

Also, I like to think about the movie office space. I learned that most people don't like their jobs and it's okay because you have other things in your life to give you happiness.

It sounds like you're already doing what you can. The first thing I learned from my better half when she comes home upset is that I don't need to try and provide answers. More often than not it's fine to just be there when she's venting. Sometimes our instinct is to try and make everything better with solutions but they aren't always welcomed :)

The biggest thing she can do is keep her head up and try to be patient. Nobody should expect her to know everything just yet, so realize that she will get there in time. As for nobody knowing what she's supposed to be doing, hopefully she's ok with asking her supervisor/manager what her priorities should be and setting up something of a routine. There is nothing wrong with being assertive and communicating any concerns she has - it's a two way street, and hopefully the new employer wants her to be comfortable. Maybe have a quick check-in each morning with her boss to establish tasks for the day. 

Two days isn't enough imo to write a place off. I hope it turns around for the better!

Thanks for the advice guys. Pretty much the same stuff I told her. It's just hard because I work retail and she works a 8-4 job. Some nights she's in bed before I even get home. In the summer I work a part time job selling merch at concerts so that I can afford things, mostly records haha. It just sucks coming home to her crying and not really being able to do anything about it. She wants to be a kardashian.

I'd probably tell her to be realistic about it all at the moment. Maybe tell her to take baby steps each day, and later on down the line you could help her create a resume and job search elsewhere... Maybe she might want something more low key like HR department or something like that... Great advice given so far mines a bit hardnosed...

Work is what you do to make money for the fun things you want to do. No one loves their job 100% of the time and we've all had that 'oh shit I can't do this' feeling on the first day. Sounds like she was very fortunate to work with friends and family previously, but things changed and hopefully she'll adapt :)

It sounds like you're already doing what you can. The first thing I learned from my better half when she comes home upset is that I don't need to try and provide answers. More often than not it's fine to just be there when she's venting. Sometimes our instinct is to try and make everything better with solutions but they aren't always welcomed :)

This is the correct answer.