PO: Screeching Weasel Baby Fat 2xLP

On song 18/27 on the first listen. Too much to digest (and too much work preventing me from reading the libretto), but as a long-time fan of the band, I can say this is their best work yet.

That's a nice recommendation. I haven't heard anything from this yet, but will always have room for Screeching Weasel.

I think it's fucking great. Well-written, catchy as hell, and the production is slick as balls. The vocals sound incredible.

It's amazing to me that we've been on the same wavelength about SW since we were both teenagers but you really like this and I was so embarrassed listening to it that I only made it half way through. I'm really interested to see what the general reception of this is, but to be honest, it's going to be a really long time before I can bring myself to revisit this, if ever. (I've still never gone back to the first solo record after the first few listens)

I guess I knew what to expect, but the idea that I have to wait for him to write, record, and release another whole LP of this thing makes me really bummed that I may never hear another BW record that I like again, especially with the death of the Rvierdales.

I always hoped for a Riverdales album where Ben and Dan would take up different characters and do something like this.

So while I was excited for this kind of ambitious project, I was also a bit worried about Blag singing instead of Ben. I am not a Dwarves fan.

But Blag did an incredible job. Ben doesn't need to sing. The best analogy is a great Woody Allen movie that doesn't star Woody Allen. 

Anyway, Ben picks up vocal chores on the third scene. Kat Spazzy's vocals are incredible and it does feel like Screeching Weasel all the way. I love all the vocals on the album. Paul Collins kills it.

I still have yet to listen to it with reading the libretto, but my only complaint is the ending. In contrast to almost every SW album that preceeded Baby Fat doesn't have an epic ending. It just stops. Makes you want Act 2 right away.

Also disturbing is what happens in the opera during some of the best songs such as Sleeping Beauty. No spoilers, but the song is incredibly fun, but the character Ben plays is so despicable, you feel guilty for wanting to sing along.

Another thing I don't like, as a sceptic atheist (yes, I am well aware of the stupid things I posted 5 years ago) the opera takes shots against atheism.

I just read through the libretto. Lots of thoughts. Definitely the best SW record. I haven't listened to SW much over the past 2 years, nor much "pop punk," bored by the limitedness of the music. Baby Fat rights that wrong. The songwriting is more complex (yet still simple) than ever before.

The story is pretty archetypical with 2-dimensional characters. The villain is an atheist and there are heavy elements of Christianity woven into the script. While my personal worldview is 180 degrees different than Ben's, it would be childish of me to think that everyone like me (atheist) is a good guy. I won't get hung up about it.

I think this record will cause a lot of controversy with the song Sleeping Beauty. One of the best songs on the album (my favorite though is Living Hell), but the context make it squeamish to enjoy. Luckily, the songs are written in way to be enjoyed as stand alones outside of their context (the libretto provides detailed scenes between the songs). 

Female characters being treated like possessions by all male characters is annoying, but Act 2 could save this. In contrast, Kat Spazzy is the record's great strength.

I want Act 2. 

It's amazing to me that we've been on the same wavelength about SW since we were both teenagers but you really like this and I was so embarrassed listening to it that I only made it half way through. I'm really interested to see what the general reception of this is, but to be honest, it's going to be a really long time before I can bring myself to revisit this, if ever. (I've still never gone back to the first solo record after the first few listens)

I guess I knew what to expect, but the idea that I have to wait for him to write, record, and release another whole LP of this thing makes me really bummed that I may never hear another BW record that I like again, especially with the death of the Rvierdales.

i'm w/ this guy. and i am a dwarves fan too, but i'm not a homer for any band. their last 2 records have been really subpar.

those last 2 Riverdales records were really great tho. for some reason i love the vapid Riverdales songs, but I have never been able to get into any of his other projects that much. i wish i could've been in Vegas for the Vapid Riverdales set w/ the Lillingtons.

anyway, as for Babt Fat, I recognize the ambition and appreciate it for the reach it's trying to make and i made it all the way through but i don't know if i would ever want to sit through it again. the only SW release i'd pull out after this would be the Carnival EP, which to me, is just embarassing.

calling this a "Screeching Weasel" album is a bit suspect too. would've been more "honest" to just release it as Baby Fat Act I by the Baby Fat Players or smtg. This strikes me as weird as if Home Street Home was put out as a NoFx record. But he's prob learned that few (fewer) people seem to care about what he does unless it's under the Screeching Weasel moniker. Which is weird too. Like how few went to ALL shows but the Descendents reunion was huge and the "Descendents" records were bigger deals than the ALL records w/ the same lineup and the same songs could've been sung by Chad or Milo (and were w/ Everything Sux...but I digress, that is really off point).

When I saw Ben Weasel w/ Vapid doing Weasel/Riverdales songs (in much smaller venue than the "Screeching Weasel" that is playing these big venues now), people seemed really uninterested in the solo songs. I wasn't into either solo album much, either, or even Emo when it came out, which I thought at the time should've been a Ben solo album. Emo kinda grew on me the last time I listened to it though, it just needed different production and the vocals weren't so hot.

Any band that's been around for 20+ years is going to have different eras and I'm not one to say this era or that era isn't the "real" Screeching Weasel, esp w/ the main songwriter still heading the show (cough Jerry Only cough). But, yea, this just wasn't doing it for me as an enjoyable listening experience.

I haven't listened to First World Manifesto much in the last few years, but I thought it was a decent 'comeback' record. I listened to it a bit when it came out. I will still be curious to hear what he does w/ the non-Baby Fat record if/when that happens.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...