Silverchair - Neon Ballroom

Got my pink copy today.Only had a chance to spin side A so far but this thing sounds fantastic. I compared "Anthem" on this and my MOV copy and the SRC copy definitely has more punch to it. This was through speakers not headphones, and I only had time to do it once over so that's just my initial impression. It sounded a little louder in general, the bass hit harder, the guitars stood out more, and the whole thing felt more "open."

The highlighter pink looks pretty insane and fits the art perfectly. Mine is a tiny bit warped, but it doesn't affect playback. Might be the first 180g record I've gotten warped.

The jacket is my only pet peeve. For some reason I thought it was supposed to be matte with UV spot-gloss, but it's straight glossy (not a fan). They used the original cd artwork for the back with the track listing unlike MOV's pressing which looked way better IMO. There's an insert with that art on one side and the credits on the other.

If you combined the vinyl from this press with the jacket from MOV it'd be perfect in my eyes. That's a small gripe though, overall this is pretty great.

Revisiting this album again tonight and it hit me. Daniel, Chris and Ben were 19/20 years old when they wrote/recorded this record. If that doesn't blow your mind.

Emotion Sickness is a masterpiece. That song alone would be difficult for seasoned songwriters to write. While we're on the subject, they did Diorama at age 23... ridiculous.

Revisiting this album again tonight and it hit me. Daniel, Chris and Ben were 19/20 years old when they wrote/recorded this record. If that doesn't blow your mind.

Emotion Sickness is a masterpiece. That song alone would be difficult for seasoned songwriters to write. While we're on the subject, they did Diorama at age 23... ridiculous.

It's crazy. On another note, have you listened to Daniel's EP that dropped today? Completely different from silverchair, heavy electronic/R&B vibes. It's pretty underwhelming considering what you point out above. 

My one complaint is honestly the bonus tracks. I sort of despise that a cappella version of Anthem and the Spawn demo doesn't do much for me, not to mention the quality of the source material for both those songs is audibly lesser than the album proper. Really breaks the spell after Steam Will Rise. Minor complaint, though.

I really love Daniel's EP. Such a great payoff after 8 years, in my opinion. Just don't expect it to be much like anything he's ever done before except maybe The Dissociatives. Heavy focus on the production and his voice, the EP really shines on headphones and at high volume on a great stereo.

It's crazy. On another note, have you listened to Daniel's EP that dropped today? Completely different from silverchair, heavy electronic/R&B vibes. It's pretty underwhelming considering what you point out above.

I actually really like the EP, check out this article http://www.abc.net.au/triplej/musicnews/s4196052.htm

These are basically b sides with exception to Preach and Aerial Love

• 9 months later...

^Yeah that interview is sweet. Surrender is a great song as well. The only song that I didn't immediately love is Late Night Drive. It has a certain appeal, but the other three songs on the EP are so much stronger to me.

Bit late to the party but... Glad someone else likes Surrender. I think its my favourite song Daniel Johns has ever written/sung on, and I'm a HUGE chair fan. Why it didn't make Talk absolutely baffled me...