Bookshelf Speaker Placement

This might sound a little stupid because 1. they are bookshelf speakers, and 2. I want to put them on a bookshelf, but...

I have a pair of Epos Epic 1s and I am looking at rearranging my setup a bit. I was thinking I would like to get a set of expedit/kallax shelves from Ikea and set the speakers inside one of the cubes. The speaker fits in the cube but only with about a half inch to an inch to spare on the top and the a few inches on the sides. Would setting these speakers on a shelf like this mess with the sound the speakers are producing at all? Thanks in advance!

Also need help, I have a Technics SL1200MK2 and is currently in between 2 Pioneer bookshelf speakers on top of a Kallax. Heard you can buy some kind of mat and isolation feet for it, would that be enough for it to be okay? Don't really have any room to move things around

I would just be aware of the rear port and make sure it's at least a foot or two from the wall.

Also need help, I have a Technics SL1200MK2 and is currently in between 2 Pioneer bookshelf speakers on top of a Kallax. Heard you can buy some kind of mat and isolation feet for it, would that be enough for it to be okay? Don't really have any room to move things around

Obviously isolation pads would improve the situation, but I would still try to find a way to have the TT and speakers on separate pieces of furniture. 

I would just be aware of the rear port and make sure it's at least a foot or two from the wall.

Obviously isolation pads would improve the situation, but I would still try to find a way to have the TT and speakers on separate pieces of furniture. 

if there was a way, I would do it, maybe if I put isolation pads on everything. 

If the speakers are on isolation pads, and the cones (and rear port) aren't pointing at any part of the shelf, I don't think the resonance would be a huge issue. In fact the rear port should probably be past the edge of the shelf, since lower frequencies are more omnidirectional and would have a higher tendency of getting "trapped" in the shelf.

However, with only half an inch of space on top, it sounds like you wouldn't even have room for the isolation pads. You'd probably be much better off just putting them on top of the shelf instead of snugly in a cube.

When I was in a similar situation, I just bought a 30-foot audio cable, put my TT on the opposite end of the room on a different shelf, and just ran the cable across the entire room. 

I'll keep that in mind, but I have only 1 shelf in my room, and that's the Kallax. Haha, 

When I had everything fit in on expedit, I did something like this... I know it's not a great pic but my shit's all in boxes now.

LYXfUyWl.jpg5Pzz4R1l.jpg

So you had your speakers right next to your turntable which was itself sitting on top of your receiver? I wouldn't recommend for anybody to do any of that...

So you had your speakers right next to your turntable which was itself sitting on top of your receiver? I wouldn't recommend for anybody to do any of that...

I started to respond to the OP, but that picture broke me.  this whole thread is full of people specifically recommending things that are clearly very bad ideas.

BOOKSHELF SPEAKERS GO ON SPEAKER STANDS AT A HEIGHT RECOMMENDED BY THE SPEAKER PRODUCER.

/thread

I'm not trying to give anyone a hard time but there are lots of reasons this is correct and you usually find out it's a bad idea to ignore it when you turn the volume up.

It doesn't matter how good your equipment is if you don't position it correctly and average equipment positioned correctly will generally sound better than good kit positioned badly.

I'm not trying to give anyone a hard time but there are lots of reasons this is correct and you usually find out it's a bad idea to ignore it when you turn the volume up.

It doesn't matter how good your equipment is if you don't position it correctly and average equipment positioned correctly will generally sound better than good kit positioned badly.

Right. ANYTHING one does to speakers have an effect on the sound. Placement and positioning of both the speaker and the listener can change what you hear from a speaker. So the answer to the OP's question is yes. Whether or not the changes are "OK" with you is solely a judgement call on your part.