I am crowdfunding iPads for my classroom!

Hello, dearest vinyl community!

As many of you know, I teach in a high-needs inner-city district in North Jersey where at least 90% of my students qualify for free or reduced lunch.  Often we as teachers are expected to make up for shortcomings in classroom resources - and we do!  Sometimes, though, an ambitious project requires the help of many to come to life.  This year I am aiming to kick my students' experience up a notch by using iPad Minis to support their learning in multiple content areas using 21st century digital learning tools that will lay the foundational skills necessary to their future success!  I am using a website called DonorsChoose.org to fund the project, and you can find my project here: http://bit.ly/1vg4kMI .  Also, for the next 7 days, the promo code INSPIRE will double any donation up to $100!

What can you do, you ask?  (Thanks for asking!)

First, and most importantly, please share a link to my project (http://bit.ly/1vg4kMI) on Facebook, Twitter, Google+, Instagram, Pintrest - you can even print out a flier and post it on a bulletin board at work!  Please tell people to use the promo code INSPIRE to double all donations up to $100!  This helps spread the visibility of my project and increases its likelihood to be funded.

Second, if you can spare a donation (and use the promo code INSPIRE), my students would be so very appreciative.  The tiniest donation is a huge help in the long run.

Thank you all so much for anything you can do to forward my cause.  I appreciate you taking your time to read this.  :)

Warmest regards,

Sean

good luck man!

just out of curiosity, why did you decide on iPads and not a cheaper alternative?

Availability of software made for iPads, and - believe it or not - many students come with more background knowledge of iPads than Android alternatives.  It's just a matter of convenience and ease for 5 year olds.

Lebowski asked a question as I was answering and although he deleted it, it was a good question.  Here's the response:

Much like Kickstarter, if it doesn't get funded, I don't get the materials.  I will never personally see a cent.  DonorsChoose.org has approved me to crowdfund my project and manages donations.  If it DOES get funded, the materials will ship to my school (not even to my home), and my students will come up with a cool way to say thanks.

At what level is the LP available at?

In all seriousness though, I have a child entering Pre-K this year so it kinda hits home a little for me, hope to be able to donate by the end of the week to you and take advantage of the promo code.

Good luck to you and your Pre-K bound kid!  It should be a pretty exciting time.  Feel free to reach out if I can offer any perspective.

I'm a sucker for teachers. (My mom teaches third grade) I'll donate on Friday! Good luck!

Good for your mom.  Silly question... does she teach in West Philly?  City teaching is tough, man.

I sincerely appreciate it, you guys.  That's super generous.

Good luck to you and your Pre-K bound kid! It should be a pretty exciting time. Feel free to reach out if I can offer any perspective.

Good for your mom. Silly question... does she teach in West Philly? City teaching is tough, man.

I sincerely appreciate it, you guys. That's super generous.

Haha she taught in NY and now in SC. I've seen her struggle but I've seen how much kids benefit from a great teacher!

Rad!  this is my first go at it.  has your wife seen success?

yeah, she did when she used it.  she hasnt in awhile though just because of the amount of time it took her.  granted this was a couple years ago, and she was using it more for books and supplies, so the amount needed wasnt all that much.  right after using the site a couple times her school got some grant for new text books and she taught her class on the zinn young peoples edition of american history.  pretty awesome

Good luck dude! I've had several classroom projects funded through this. Great resource for sure. I'll throw some donations at you. As a teacher of 9 years, I understand!

Don't forget to grab an Apple TV! So useful when having an iPad classroom.

Can you tell me a little bit about Apple TV integration!? Sounds cool!

Can you tell me a little bit about Apple TV integration!? Sounds cool!

Yes. 

I used donor's choose for an ipad cart a number of years ago. We have Smartboards, but they don't integrate with Ipads well, and neither does the County. 

The next year I used donor's choose for a 50 inch LCD tv with an Apple Tv (Less than 700 for everything). This way, I can utilize the smartboard while also showing student examples, work, activities, and seamless transitions. Additionally, the picture is phenomenal. If interested, shoot me a PM with any questions. 

I have mine on a Cart so I can move it easily since we have to move rooms every 9 weeks being a year round (tracked out currently). HDMI projectors work well too, but i prefer the TV since it is cheaper and I believe better technology. For example, when we skype with our sister school in Kenya, the picture is great. 

Yes. 

I used donor's choose for an ipad cart a number of years ago. We have Smartboards, but they don't integrate with Ipads well, and neither does the County. 

The next year I used donor's choose for a 50 inch LCD tv with an Apple Tv (Less than 700 for everything). This way, I can utilize the smartboard while also showing student examples, work, activities, and seamless transitions. Additionally, the picture is phenomenal. If interested, shoot me a PM with any questions. 

I have mine on a Cart so I can move it easily since we have to move rooms every 9 weeks being a year round (tracked out currently). HDMI projectors work well too, but i prefer the TV since it is cheaper and I believe better technology. For example, when we skype with our sister school in Kenya, the picture is great. 

What apps do you use?  I'm imagining you have something like a game show on the TV and the students all respond or buzz in using the iPads...

Also, In less than 48 hours, the project is more than 1/3 funded.  My goal is to push this to full funding by Labor Day.  Thanks to everyone for showing support, donating, and sharing.  You guys are awesome.

What apps do you use?  I'm imagining you have something like a game show on the TV and the students all respond or buzz in using the iPads...

Also, In less than 48 hours, the project is more than 1/3 funded.  My goal is to push this to full funding by Labor Day.  Thanks to everyone for showing support, donating, and sharing.  You guys are awesome.

All kinds! I can direct you to my class website that describes some of the apps we use. Additionally, if you use moby max, study island, etc, it fits well with that. 

I work for a school board in Ontario as a special education technology consultant. I may not be able to donate money at the moment, but happy to share some ideas, insights, and resources for integration of Apple technology (and otherwise) into the classroom, especially supporting struggling learners. Feel free to send me a quick message if you have any specific questions with regard to practical set up and functionality. Usually that's when staff in my board tend to contact me the most - the moment when they go 'wow, I have all of these iPads, now what do I do?'