Long distance relationships

My relationship is about to be long distance. Been with my girlfriend for almost four years, and although we don't actually live together (yet), we've seen each other almost every day for the past two or so. She'll be two hours away, which is sort of close but obviously we won't get to see each other nearly as much. I know it's going to be difficult as all, but I think we're both more than willing to do whatever possible to make it work. It's going to take a while to adjust, and I'm honestly not sure how either of us will handle it. Not in the sense that either of us would resort to other people, but I'll probably get really sad hahah. My hope is that I'll be too busy with school/work that the time will go by fast.

honest question: what are you waiting for? I mean, presumably you plan on living together (or at least living in the same town) at some point, so what's stopping you?

and in case that made me sound like an ass, I should mention that I just quit my job a year early and my girlfriend and I moved to atlanta to be together (I was in MO, she was in MN). I really like her, and I figured it was worth risking my future career plans (I was one year into a 2-year postdoc, on the road toward getting a tenure-track faculty position) for the sake of our relationship. obviously that wasn't a decision that I made lightly, but I did what I felt like I had to do.

I'm waiting for the semester to end. This is my final semester for my bachelor degree and it's easier if I just wrap it up here instead of paying out of state tuition or risking credits not transferring. Like I said, my name is on the lease. Everything I own, besides my computer, text books, and a mattress are in DC right now.

When I was younger I had two long distance relationships that both required a 2 hour flight and the other a 2 1/2 hour flight

It wears on you..it becomes a mini honeymoon when you see them but when its every other weekend or such you never really get outside of the honeymoon. Its nearly impossible to fight with someone on the phone that you don't interact with everyday

You will never know until you live with them(I moved for one, the other moved for me)

My advice is don't frag it out. You have to move at some point. If you don't its pointless. If you are gonna play the game for over 6 months, you really aren't ready for that because your relationship will never grow knowing that it will continue to be weekends etc

I dated my wife (as of the 16th! Woooo!!) for almost exactly a year long distance before I packed up and headed north. We met on a message board (for Emery) in around '06, and started seriously dating in '09 after she came to visit me in May. I knew pretty quickly that I was done. The goodbyes were the hardest, I hated them more than anything. My only real advice is just maintain constant contact. Always communicate somehow. It really helped me anyways.