PO: At the Gates - At War With Reality

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I downloaded this last night and have finally made it through the entire album.  I'm not sure I would have put the At The Gates name on it.  At times it sounds like At The Gates, but overall you can tell the band didn't make an album in nearly 20 years.  Nowhere near as strong as the new Carcass album, which IMO was a great return album.  As much as it pains me to say this, I'm really disappointed with this album.

Really? I just finished my second listen and found myself into it much more the second time around. Although I enjoyed it at first as well. I'm just glad they didn't play it safe and make SOTS - Part 2 as the single had me thinking. There's a lack of thrashy, catchy riffs and feel like it's really more in line with Terminal Spirit Disease than any other album in their discography.

I think everyone's collective expectations are just outrageous for this album, so I tried to check those at the door before I listened. I do agree that it certainly doesn't feel as strong as the new Carcass album.

I'm not sure I would have put the At The Gates name on it.  At times it sounds like At The Gates, but overall you can tell the band didn't make an album in nearly 20 years.  Nowhere near as strong as the new Carcass album, which IMO was a great return album.  As much as it pains me to say this, I'm really disappointed with this album.

This definitely sounds like At the Gates to me, in fact, considering it's been 20 years since SOTS I'm surprised at how good the band still sounds. They're definitely not reinventing the wheel here but fans of SOTS and TSP should dig this. 

• 3 weeks later...

Anyone know if any of these variants are available other than CM Distro to avoid the ridiculous shipping charges?

I've seen the box set and other variants available in other places, just not in the USA. If you are happy with a black copy, Soundstage Direct have them:

http://www.soundstagedirect.com/at-the-gates-war-with-reality-vinyl-records.shtml

• 6 months later...

Hells Headbangers will have a limited to 100 white vinyl version of this record at MDF. They just put some copies up on their website for sale.

This seems to be part of the first pressing and is even listed in the general info for this release on discogs but does not appear to have an individual entry. I may be wrong and these could have been available elsewhere but just in case $20 is a pretty good deal since the lilac variant of 100 sells for quite a bit more now.

http://shop-hellsheadbangers.com/item-group.asp?pgpID=12497

10460244_10153120970003241_2076257351358

Hells Headbangers will have a limited to 100 white vinyl version of this record at MDF. They just put some copies up on their website for sale.

This seems to be part of the first pressing and is even listed in the general info for this release on discogs but does not appear to have an individual entry. I may be wrong and these could have been available elsewhere but just in case $20 is a pretty good deal since the lilac variant of 100 sells for quite a bit more now.

http://shop-hellsheadbangers.com/item-group.asp?pgpID=12497

10460244_10153120970003241_2076257351358

Thanks for this - got one!