Size of your collection

Bought my first tape in the summer of 1990 - Urban Dance Squad's Mental Floss for the Globe. (actually I shoplifted it! I couldn't tell you what the first one I actually paid for was. possibly Fear of a Black Planet?) I got a CD player that fall I believe. No, wait, it was the next fall, 1991, because the first CD I bought was R.E.M.'s "Radio Song" single which came out in the fall of 1991 and my birthday is in November. The first record I bought was in 1993, it was a local band's 7". Anyway, I mostly bought CDs with the occasional record and sometimes tapes if I was too broke for the CD until 2000 or so, then I didn't have a turntable so I didn't really buy records, only CDs until 2006 or so. Around then I stopped buying CDs altogether (except a few limited edition "deluxe" packages or whatnot) and just downloaded. Then I got a turntable again in I think 2008 and started buying records when available and downloads otherwise. I really got into buying vinyl pretty seriously in about 2010 I guess.

Anyway, according to Discogs:

433 12"

13 10"

92 7"

• Minimum:   $7,221.20
  • Median:   $10,713.13
  • Maximum:   $17,287.93

I also have probably, I dunno, 3000 CDs in the basement? It's a fucking lot.

I got rid of all my tapes last year, except the ones from local bands or ones that are similarly irreplaceable. I think I've got like 20 left.

Catalogued... 528 12" albums

14 -10"

233- 7" 

2-  6"

150 cds

Started collecting mostly 7"'s in high school probably 8 years ago later about 5 years ago I started buying more lps.

The size of my collection has been determined by 4 factors:

1. storage space

2. plans to move back overseas

3. i didn't play many of my records

4. need money for new releases

1) I have 2 x 4 expedit flanked by 2  5x1s. In my heyday about 2 years ago, almost all shelves were full of records. Currently, only 6 shelves are full of LPs and 2 of 7"s.

4) So I had a huge collection, mostly punk and I once collected the entire Slumberland catalog. Then I got really into the Misfits a few years ago and found myself only listening to Misfits, Danzig stuff and Balzac (my favorite band). This has gone on for a few years, so I sold half my collection and used it to buy rare Misfits records and work myself halfway up the 500 - 600 releases of the Balzac discography (I listed around 430 of them on discogs, so check it out).

I'm much happier a $1500 record of a band I love than 200 records I don't really care for.