The Smiths Re-issues from 2009 - 2012 - Some feedback

If you're going to go for original pressings, the UK Rough Trades are the way to go. I have 7 of the original 17 Rough Trade 12" singles. They all sound great. I'm gonna make it a goal to find the other 10 12"s in the next couple years.

All that said, the reissues sound and look really good. I got 2 copies of the Complete Deluxe box for $175 each a few years back (due to aan Amazon pricing snafu). Johnny Marr did a great job on the remastering.

Also, one of the reasons Morrissey urged people not to buy the box sets is because Mike Joyce (Smiths drummer) would get a good chunk of royalties from the box and the whiny bitch that Morrissey is, he didn't want that to happen. That's probably why we'll never see any previously unreleased Smiths recordings officially released. Morrissey will probably prevent that from happening because he wouldn't want Mike Joyce (or Andy Rourke for that matter) to get any money from it.

You can scour the earth for a great deal on an OP and hope that the description is correct or that the record isn't worn out, or you can buy the reissues and be very happy. Most copies I see out in the wild are worn and handled, and sell for $15-$20.

Unless you are a collector, just buy the reissues.

That's probably why we'll never see any previously unreleased Smiths recordings officially released. 

Thankfully this fantastic sounding boot was released a few years ago, but you're right, I doubt we will see anything officially released 

http://www.discogs.com/Smiths-Unreleased-Demos-Instrumentals/release/2646908

Damn, you got really lucky. I've only found reissues and original UK pressings so far, all starting at 20 bucks (well, except The World Won't Listen which I once found for 10,- but except for the artwork, it's kinda dispensable when you already have TQID and Louder Than Bombs).

I traded someone for Louder, but I agree with your statement. I found TQID and Strangeways at a garage sale for $1 in 2010, it's what got me into The Smiths. I was going to sell them, fell in asexual love with Morrissey. 

The 12" singles I got cheap, $5 for one, or bought them on store credit at a store here. I found the S/T at another sale for $2.50 or something cheap. I can't remember how I got Meat Is Murder. 

I have, (or had) just about every single OP Rough Trade release, picked up over here over the last 25 or so years. When you could get them for a decent price with patience.

However, I left most of them at my parents in my old bedroom and too close to a heater. About 150 records were warped pretty badly including these.

*sadface*

The reissues sound great. They have the warmer, fuller sound of the UK masterings as opposed to the thinner, colder US pressings. I have both US OP Sire and the new Rhino pressing and I like both in different ways, but if I had to choose one, I would take the new reissue. Tracking down and paying for a NM OP UK press is not really worth it when these are available, unless you are a collector.

As stated, they are exact replicas, packaging wise, as the UK originals.

I had a listen to my Canadian pressings the other night, should be the same as the US pressings, all done by Sire. They do sound a little "cold" , "tinny" almost in parts, but are really not bad. I have the first (s/t), Meat is Murder, The Queen is Dead, and Panic 12". 

I don't have any of the rhino reissues yet, but have been eyeing up Strangeways recently, but if i find an old copy i wouldn't hesitate to pick it up. The UK original presses are not easy to find, but the rhino ones are everywhere.

Original USA or UK presses really aren't all that hard to find if you regularly hit record swaps or used shops.

I found these in physical locations without even specifically looking. Don't recall paying over $25 for a record either.

• The Smiths - Shoplifters of the World Unite UK 7"
  • The Smiths - I Started Something I Couldn't Finish UK 7"
  • The Smiths - This Charming Man UK 7"
  • The Smiths - Barbarism Begins at Home UK promo 12"
  • The Smiths - Girlfriend in a Coma 12" UK 12"
  • The Smiths - Hatful of Hollow UK orig
  • The Smiths - Louder Than Bombs 2xLP Sire
  • The Smiths - Meat is Murder USA orig
  • The Smiths - Rank
  • The Smiths - S/T - Rough Trade original
  • The Smiths - That Joke Isn't Funny Anymore UK 12"
  • The Smiths - The Queen is Dead USA orig
  • The Smiths - William It Was Really Nothing UK 12"
  • The Smiths - World Won't Listen
  • The Smiths- Strangeways Here We Come USA orig

Thankfully this fantastic sounding boot was released a few years ago, but you're right, I doubt we will see anything officially released

http://www.discogs.com/Smiths-Unreleased-Demos-Instrumentals/release/2646908

Ordered a copy off ebay after seeing this post- it's really a great bootleg. Great sound quality (for an unofficial release) on a nice blue vinyl. Really digging it, not too much new, but cool spins on some favorite songs. Thanks for turning me onto it.