PO soon: And So I Watch You From Afar (ASIWYFA) - Heirs

• 1 month later...

Really? I think it's worlds better than AHBF. Granted, I've only put one listen in. The energy throughout it is top-notch, the vocals are mixed well enough that they don't feel out of place, and I really didn't find myself eager for any one song to wrap itself up so I could hear the next. I quite dug it, personally, but I guess I knew what to expect. The lack of weird tropical themes is a huge plus in my books, too.

I've listened to most of it thus far, & I know I shouldn't comment before finishing it, but I'm so underwhelmed. I feel like their sound isn't progressing at all. Sounds just like recycled versions of that trademark ASIWYFA sound with really annoying vocals added on top. Not one song stands out, & I'm not even excited to finish the last few tracks.

It's the same feeling I had listening to Maybeshewill's latest. I feel like I'm going to be trying to force myself to like this.

Glad I didn't PO either.

EDIT: Finished it up, & I stand by my thoughts. They always have a killer track to end the album & this one was no good.

You guys are tripping. AHBF's closer wasn't anything to write home about. I do miss the bite and emphasis on riffs from their earlier work, and I get that those get smoothed out or put in the backseat when there's a focus on gang vocals. But that's always been a part of the band's sound, even going back to Gangs.

I don't know. It's not the best ASIWYFA record I've heard, but the consensus over here - amongst fellow friends who've listened to the band for years - is quite positive. We'll see what I make of it after a few more listens. The band really condensed their songwriting this time around, trimming 7+ minute meandering tracks into 3 minute complexities. At the risk of sounding pretentious, I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of it was going over your heads on the first listen. (That's what I suspect is the case for myself as well.) I imagine there's a lot of replay value and details to uncover, when you pack as much into each song as they did. I'd also like to reserve an official judgement for a proper 320 rip instead of basing a concrete opinion on a Soundcloud stream. Hardly seems fair.

I am in no way paid by the band or attempting to change your guys' mind on the record. (I didn't PO either.) I just think it's lightyears better than AHBF, and that there's too much to judge after one quick stream.

"Young Brave Minds" is one of my fav ASIWYFA tracks haha.

But yeah, my first impressions were harsh, & I'll absolutely give it at least a few more listens before cementing my thoughts, but man, after that first listen, there just wasn't anything that stuck out that I feel like I need to revisit right away.

Not to digress too much, but this is still a band I need to see live someday. Even if I ultimately don't come around on Heirs, I'm sure it would be awesome live.

But yeah, my first impressions were harsh, & I'll absolutely give it at least a few more listens before cementing my thoughts, but man, after that first listen, there just wasn't anything that stuck out that I feel like I need to revisit right away.

Not to digress too much, but this is still a band I need to see live someday. Even if I ultimately don't come around on Heirs, I'm sure it would be awesome live.

They are incredible live. I discovered them during a tour with TTNG and Mylets when they were promoting AHBF (better late than never). I had no idea what to expect as I didn't preview them before going to the show. There was so much energy in the room for start to finish. It was a perfect decrescendo. The crowd was really into it with most people dancing with variable melodies of chaos to softer, more delicate sounds. The repetition of song of the songs lulled everyone into a trance and the band acted as conductors encouraging a response from the crowd. The band seemed very proud, excited and you can tell they really love what they do. 

That's fair enough.  I haven't gone back, but I already have parts of Run Home and Redesigned stuck in my head.  The riff on Wasps also pops into my head with the utmost clarity, if I think about the song.  Those are hardly the "highlights" of the record, but they're the freshest on my mind because I listened to them a couple of times each, before I heard the whole record.  Outside of those, there were definitely a few songs that made me stop and look at the title because I was impressed.  But my mileage may vary.

Like random said, they put on a hell of a show.  I only caught them once, opening for Russian Circles, but it was a damn good set.  [At the time, they only had the S/T, Gangs, and the Letters EP to pull songs from.  So... the ideal pool for me, really.]  My only gripe was that it wasn't a longer setlist.  They sounded just as good as they did in studio, and their energy was unmatched.

If you haven't seen the Audio Tree session they did, I'd suggest that for sure.  Even the AHBF songs that they perform sound so good and are a treat to watch.

The band seemed very proud, excited and you can tell they really love what they do. 

Fuck, just thinking about that makes me happy on so many levels.

Oh yeah I saw the Audiotree session which is what made me want to see them as bad as I do.

I love when bands seem legit into the music they've created. Straight through performances don't usually make the songs pop as well as they should. Two concerts I've been to recently included one band sounding great, but just didn't totally seem into the performance & the other seeming really into the songs & appeared much more passionate about them.

As much as I love Russian Circles (& I'm very jealous you saw them & ASIWYFA together), RC always puts on a great show, but don't have a lot of stage energy. So it sounds amazing, but there's always something preventing me from totally immersing myself into the show.

ASIWYFA have always had such great energy in their performances, even back to the first time I saw them in 2007 (I think). Their performance completely sold me on them. Really can't wait to see them again on this tour. I've only listened to the new album once and I'm not completely sold on it, but I imagine seeing it live will make me appreciate it a lot more.

As much as I love Russian Circles (& I'm very jealous you saw them & ASIWYFA together), RC always puts on a great show, but don't have a lot of stage energy. So it sounds amazing, but there's always something preventing me from totally immersing myself into the show.

I'm inclined to agree with that quite a bit.  RC are fun to watch solely for their technical prowess; everyone in the band just kills it on their respective instrument.  But as far as "enjoyment" and showmanship go, I'd say that only Brian really gets into it.

As far as Heirs goes; now that a proper rip has surfaced and I've given it another listen with my undivided attention... I've come to the conclusion that I must be pretty easy to please.  Or something.  I wholeheartedly agree that the closer doesn't have the same bombastic flare as a lot of their prior finales, and feels a little underwhelming in comparison.  But other than that, and A Beacon, A Compass, An Anchor - which is solid, but overstays its welcome just a bit - I really have no qualms with the record.  There are some moments that remind me of Gangs and even The Letters EP, and they're rad.

Couldn't have put it better myself.

I've been waiting on SH to put AHBF out on some translucent teal vinyl for a long time already. Glad to see that they went for the gold. Sadly it's not available through the Euro store. Their new album luckily is which is great for a change so I might have to pre-order that. It's still so far off though and I don't think that has lowered the prices any either? I really consider that an odd choice as it would make sense to lower the price for anyone getting in this early.

EU store has the gold:

http://sargenthouse.awesomedistro.com/products/537154-and-so-i-watch-you-from-afar-all-hail-bright-futures

There is some really good stuff in this album. I can already tell after listen #1 that I am going to enjoy this a lot more than AHBF. The title track is money and that Wasps riff has been floating around my head for a while now. I hope they make it stateside to tour this stuff soon, they are one of my favorite live acts.