First press or more limited reissue?

I get akick out of all the "who cares" answers. Obviously the OP cares, as do lots of others.

If it were me, I would research the LP I want and buy the best sounding press (usually the first press). By the way OP, this is definitely not the site for researching the best sounding press. This site is good for keeping an eye out for Pre-orders...that's about it.

I don't have a strong opinion one way or the other.  If I already have a first press, I won't pick up a repress unless it's somehow better.  If I'm looking for something and there's a first press available as well as a reissue in the works, I'll go for the reissue because there's no telling what shape that first press might be in if buying from another person.

I only buy the ones that I know I can flip for 10 times more than I paid for it a month later.  

I kid, I kid.  Like some posters have stated before, I purchase whatever pressing is out at the time of interest.  I don't care about colors or whatnot, I just want a kick-ass sounding record.  If there is a cool package on a repress that contains something I may want (exclusive shirt, neat box, etc), I'll pick it up because I like to have things.  In that case, I'll usually trade off the other presses I may have of it.

I do respect those that buy multiple presses/colors/whatever, it's just not for me. 

Rough estimation: 90% of my collection is the first press releases, 7% are test presses, 2% are some tour presses/special presses. The last 1% goes for represses. Why first presses? I do not know cause the answer for this one is probably in my limbic brain which does not understand words. But I love first presses. It's like a first wife - sure you can always have the second one. But why if the first one is perfect.

Rough estimation: 90% of my collection is the first press releases, 7% are test presses, 2% are some tour presses/special presses. The last 1% goes for represses. Why first presses? I do not know cause the answer for this one is probably in my limbic brain which does not understand words. But I love first presses. It's like a first wife - sure you can always have the second one. But why if the first one is perfect.

Having first pressings of records is like being the first one of your friends to like a band on Facebook. Then, when everyone realizes how awesome said band is, you can be all "ya bro I know, I got the 1st press of that". 

lol go fuck yourself if you think this thread has a shred of validity.

what a badass

whether I get a first press or a newer press depends mainly on 1) what I can afford and 2) what's accessible to me. Lots of the stuff I want to hear and buy have a huge number of UK/EU pressings that I don't bust a gut trying to find first presses very much. Also, I won't buy an unnecessarily expensive repress just because it's 180gm/hard stock/remastered or whatever if I know I can get a 1970/80s/90s issue for much cheaper.