First press or more limited reissue?

If I already own the 1st press or an early press I am fine with that. I normally (with some exceptions) will sell an earlier press for a repress when the repress has bonus tracks or is in a boxset and I know I can get some cash for the earlier pressing that I own.

My only regret is probably my Strung Out records since I don't really like the sound of the re-mastered tracks with the boxset, but at least I own the CDs and got $125 alone for my blue twisted by design and about $200 total for the 1st 3 albums.

lol go fuck yourself if you think this thread has a shred of validity.

Asking a group of record collectors if they prefer a first press or a rarer press when making a purchase is a perfectly acceptable discussion point. It's no doubt been covered before extensively, however the fact people are adding to the discussion is proof of it's validity.

It's way more interesting than reading more about RSD or Brand New reissues or whatever the fuck.

I understand where OP is coming from.  Everyone that has responded has made some valid points, as well.  I think it's obvious that people do collect to collect as well as collect to listen.  I could go through tons of tradelists, my own included, where we all have multiple copies of different records.  Some people here like to be super harsh in threads like this, but ultimately I think there is a ton of examples where people jump at "exclusive" variants, or cooler colors, or whatever.

Personally, when I buy a record, if it's a pre-order I want right when it comes out, I'll generally buy the most "exclusive" variant.  My most recent example of that is the new The Story So Far record that was put up for pre-order last week, two weeks ago, whenever... I pre-ordered the Black copy /500 instead of maybe a cooler color, simply because it was the smallest press.  But if I'm just buying a record that has been out for a while, I don't really usually care about the variant or color.  For example, when The Gaslight Anthem released their newest record, Get Hurt, I waited until someone on here sold a copy for what ended up being less than I would have paid had I pre-ordered it online, or even if I went to a record store to buy it.  I got it pretty cheap.  Another example that comes to mind is the latest Moose Blood album - instead of spending money on a first press for a more exclusive variant, I just went to no sleep's webstore and bought a 2nd press copy.  It's just about what is available at the time I want to get a record.

I've changed my collecting habits as my knowledge of records has changed.  I don't go out of my way to spend $50+ on a record that has been out for months just so I can have a more rare variant like I did when I first started collecting, but I definitely am a sucker when it comes to artists releasing new music, buying a special bundle (Taking Back Sunday, Aaron West & The Roaring Twenties) that includes a "smash" variant exclusive to /200 or /300, or whatever, a koozie, poster, lithograph, sticker set, t-shirt, seven inch, whatever the heck else is thrown together in those merchnow bundles - heck, with the Story So Far's new album apparently I'm receiving coffee.

At the end of the day, do what you want to do.  It's your money, spend it how you'd like to spend it.  If you think it's worth it to shell out $200+ on eBay for a Hotelier - Home Like... tour press (can't believe how much I saw someone pay for that a few months ago) instead of going to the label's site and spending $14, that's fine.  If you want to spend your money on a record that is going to end up sounding terrible simply because it was on pink vinyl instead of 180 gram black, that's your call as well.  If you want to buy a first/second press Deja Entendu record instead of the new press that is coming out just so you can say you own the first press variant, go for it.  But in the end, if you're in the game to listen to records, it doesn't matter if you spend $15 or $150, odds are you're getting the same album regardless of which option you go with.

Don't be a dumbfuck, it's a perfectly valid question to ask.

Don't be a dumbfuck.

If every new VC member/new collector started a thread like this, it's all the board would be.

This is like me saying, "Hey, what's more desirable, a blue suit or a black suit?"

Guess what. Depends on the situation, and your personal preference.

That should have been the first answer, and then the thread should have been locked.

As I let on a minute ago I was a bit naive about the sound quality being maintained through all presses- new things to consider! haha 

A bit of both I guess-obviously there are colourways that are more appealing or even just match the cover better (I'm veering into OCD territory now)

If you are buying based souly on what color it is, thwn you are wasting your money.

What LPs are you looking for more info on?

Don't be a dumbfuck.

If every new VC member/new collector started a thread like this, it's all the board would be.

This is like me saying, "Hey, what's more desirable, a blue suit or a black suit?"

That should have been the first answer, and then the thread should have been locked.

Thank you.  This is all I'm getting at. There is no overarching "correct" answer.

Some first presses sound like shit, some represses sound great. Some super rare pressings are pressed on fucking glitter or glow in the dark. Are they cool to have? Sure. Do they sound good? Probably not...

What's important to you?

What's your favorite color?

What's the best day of the week?

This question is 100% situation-based and there is no answer.

Asking a group of record collectors if they prefer a first press or a rarer press when making a purchase is a perfectly acceptable discussion point. It's no doubt been covered before extensively, however the fact people are adding to the discussion is proof of it's validity.

It's way more interesting than reading more about RSD or Brand New reissues or whatever the fuck.

While I agree with you on the discussion thing, NOTHING is more interesting/ important than Brand New reissues. Nothing. 

Which is why the thread was about opinions....

You have all been collecting longer than I have so I was curious as to what you put first when buying. I wasn't expecting one solid answer, I was hoping to learn from many what I should be looking out for or considering when I buy. 

I mean... anyone can assume having fucking glitter particles in a record probably isn't going to do wonders for the sound quality but I didn't know until about 10 minutes ago that being a first press may mean better sound quality. So... even just for that I've gained something from peoples responses to this thread. 

I'll gladly hold my hands up and apologise if this thread is something you see so frequently it's irritating... but odds are if it was that bad jhulud would have locked it when he dropped in for a visit. 

I was going to post a joking response to this thread saying I only care if it's coloured and has kvlt splatterz but I'll actually answer.

In regards to buying a record either first press or a later one, if it's immediately getting a repress, I'll buy that one because it'll be brand new, maybe a remaster, and maybe even a cool colour! Plus the magic of owning a 1st press really dies for me when you buy it 2nd hand.

In regards to coloured records, the only time I really care if a record is coloured is if the colour goes along with the aesthetics of the record I'd try to purchase that variant. This has lead me to purchase some less rare variants when records come out.

When purchasing a used record, I try to get the best of both worlds - a newer pressing that has a cool colour that goes with the theme of the record. This does sometimes lead to buying a record that is a bit more expensive, like Samael's Ceremony of Opposites which goes for ~$20 black and ~$30 red/black marble. In cases like that I bite the bullet and eat the $10 because the record looks cool:
mv6Uz8aYUngl-R9Al4W97XA.jpg

In short: Colour is cool. So are first pressings. But really - do what you want.

And ignore the posters being idiots, they'll find another thread to correct someone on their use of the plural of vinyl and start breaking their balls.

Don't be a dumbfuck.

This thread is just this person asking people to share those preferences. And plenty of people have. It's no big deal.

Thank you.  This is all I'm getting at. There is no overarching "correct" answer.

Some first presses sound like shit, some represses sound great. Some super rare pressings are pressed on fucking glitter or glow in the dark. Are they cool to have? Sure. Do they sound good? Probably not...

What's important to you?

What's your favorite color?

What's the best day of the week?

This question is 100% situation-based and there is no answer.

Plenty of people are sharing their answer to the question.

This is like asking what I should eat for lunch. Where's who cares?

It's more like asking if people would prefer a hot lunch or a sandwich. No answer is certain, but I think most people would find themselves leaning one way or another.

And who cares? Man, this is a fucking forum where people are freaking out over email receipt order numbers and posting photos of furniture they got from Ikea that they've decorated with fairy lights. I'm sure there might be a couple of people who would be into discussing where their preferences lie when collecting.

Which is why the thread was about opinions....

You have all been collecting longer than I have so I was curious as to what you put first when buying. I wasn't expecting one solid answer, I was hoping to learn from many what I should be looking out for or considering when I buy.

I mean... anyone can assume having fucking glitter particles in a record probably isn't going to do wonders for the sound quality but I didn't know until about 10 minutes ago that being a first press may mean better sound quality. So... even just for that I've gained something from peoples responses to this thread.

I'll gladly hold my hands up and apologise if this thread is something you see so frequently it's irritating... but odds are if it was that bad jhulud would have locked it when he dropped in for a visit.

Yeah, I'm too lazy to look...but whoever it was who told you first presses definitively sound better...they're full of shit. Take Whirr's Sway for instance. First presses pretty much all sound like garbage, so they made new plates for the second press, which will most likely sound much better.

Don't believe everything you read on the internet. Especially on VC.