Pro-Ject Debut Carbon -- $319 deal

So I causally browse a site called massdrop where its a wide variety of items but they have a heavy focus on audio equipment.  What they do is contact the companies directly and see what the best possible deal they can get for an item is.  They then say if 10 people buy the price is X, if 25 people buy the price is this and so on. 

Right now you have the possibility to get a Debut Carbon for $319(50 people need to purchase), the current price is at $359, but will drop once more people commit to buy it.

I think this sites concept is pretty cool and I've been on there a bunch, I don't buy a ton but it's cool to look at and suggest things for them to try and get a massdrop going.

Either way, this is my link obviously if you sign up I get stuff not exactly sure what, but I get stuff.  So if you're looking for this table and that price is right for you go for it.

https://www.massdrop.com/r/DVG563

Also this isn't Spam I swear!

I've been thinking about upgrading my TT.  Have a Pioneer PL-540 with an Ortofon Red.  Would this be a worth upgrade?  I haven't looked into the Project TTs that much.

Pioneer has been guilty of making some utter rubbish over the years but luckily the PL 540 is one of thier better products especially if its a wood veneer rather than silver one.

If your 540 is in good condition I would stick with that, I doubt you will hear much of an improvement and it will hold its value better as well.

If it needs a service spend the money on that and a better cartridge but if its worn out then by all means look at a new Project.

Pioneer has been guilty of making some utter rubbish over the years but luckily the PL 540 is one of thier better products especially if its a wood veneer rather than silver one.

If your 540 is in good condition I would stick with that, I doubt you will hear much of an improvement and it will hold its value better as well.

If it needs a service spend the money on that and a better cartridge but if its worn out then by all means look at a new Project.

+1

Sorry, just now getting back to respond, thanks for the reply. Yeah, my 540 is in great shape, although it is the ugly silver finish, and not the wood veneer.  I might just try to veneer it myself, someone did theirs over on Reddit and it it turned out pretty amazing.

Sorry, just now getting back to respond, thanks for the reply. Yeah, my 540 is in great shape, although it is the ugly silver finish, and not the wood veneer.  I might just try to veneer it myself, someone did theirs over on Reddit and it it turned out pretty amazing.

None of the Pioneers have proper wood veneer as it's more like sticky back plastic but you can get them to look very nice.

I have also seen one where someone made a whole new hardboard plinth for one and that looked really good

But yes stick with it, I have a 530 which although a lower model number is a higher spec unit than the 540 due to it's age and Pioneer's numbering system, one other VC'er on here kept his 530 over a Project because it looked and sounded nicer.

• 1 month later...