AlexH.

Yo VC, what's there to do in Portland?

YO!

So i have been trying to relocate to Portland for about 6 months now.  searching zillow and realtor all day long with the wifey.

we think we found a sweet house. anyone living in Portland, can you tell me what you think of this particular hood...

couple blocks from the yellow line max train at Rosa Parks. walking distance to a big new seasons, and biking or a train ride to mississippi records.  20 min max ride from downtown.

I got to explore this area myself when I was there in October, but would appreciate a locals perspective.

also... what is the local vibe on homeless people in stump town? i imagine the are pretty unavoidable living there. 

appreciate your point of views 

enjoy your weekend

grew up in this neighborhood, honestly great. close to the Mississippi area which is an up and coming "hip' area with lots of great food, bars etc. over all a great area.

I really want to know if the rain/drizzle starts to wear on you, especially transplants. My wife and I are always looking for the next place to land. Been to Portland when it's been blazing hot and when it's been rainy and cold and was fine with both. I don't mind rain and some gloom, but I just wonder how much it would affect my mood, coming from sunny California. The lack of much of a winter is starting to get annoying here, though I've always lived in CA, so don't know if I'd like living in Portland.

I know the houses are expensive there, but nothing compared to the Bay Area. Also looking at Sacramento. We just want a bigger house with preferably a bit more land around our house than a normal city/suburb house. We'd be able to get that in Portland.

41 minutes ago, lexicondevil said:

I really want to know if the rain/drizzle starts to wear on you, especially transplants. My wife and I are always looking for the next place to land. Been to Portland when it's been blazing hot and when it's been rainy and cold and was fine with both. I don't mind rain and some gloom, but I just wonder how much it would affect my mood, coming from sunny California. The lack of much of a winter is starting to get annoying here, though I've always lived in CA, so don't know if I'd like living in Portland.

I know the houses are expensive there, but nothing compared to the Bay Area. Also looking at Sacramento. We just want a bigger house with preferably a bit more land around our house than a normal city/suburb house. We'd be able to get that in Portland.

It does sometimes in the winter months, but it's mainly just lack of sun in general. Taking vitamin D really helps though when I remember to.

On 11/30/2018 at 12:35 PM, lexicondevil said:

I absolutely love it. Granted, I did move here from New Orleans which is 12 months of summer.  My seasonal depression has almost reversed oddly enough. I thrive with hoodies and drizzle. 

Any insights on commute time traffic? Are there freeways/commutes that absolutely suck? For instance, if someone were moving to the Bay Area I would say that if you live North of the Bay Bridge in the East Bay and you work south, your commute on 80 is going to really suck during morning and evening rush hours. I really fucking hate being on the road, so I'd want the commute to work to not be that terrible.

1 hour ago, lexicondevil said:

Any insights on commute time traffic? Are there freeways/commutes that absolutely suck? For instance, if someone were moving to the Bay Area I would say that if you live North of the Bay Bridge in the East Bay and you work south, your commute on 80 is going to really suck during morning and evening rush hours. I really fucking hate being on the road, so I'd want the commute to work to not be that terrible.

Commutes on the west side blow, and in downtown it's not super fun to drive around (lots of one way streets). East side is usually pretty decent. Whatever you do, don't try to commute from east to west, or west to east during any rush hour.

That said, I'm an awful commuter. I like my commute to be 20 minutes or less, and preferably 15.

Public transit is pretty awesome here though, so if you're down for a little longer, but usually less stressful commute that way, that's an option. I wish I were more patient and could convince myself to do it, but I'm not. If I'm going someplace with bad parking though I'll usually find someplace near the MAX and park somewhere around 15 minutes from where I'm going. (Blazers games)

Edited by Ishtar

12 hours ago, Ishtar said:

Commutes on the west side blow, and in downtown it's not super fun to drive around (lots of one way streets). East side is usually pretty decent. Whatever you do, don't try to commute from east to west, or west to east during any rush hour.

That said, I'm an awful commuter. I like my commute to be 20 minutes or less, and preferably 15.

Public transit is pretty awesome here though, so if you're down for a little longer, but usually less stressful commute that way, that's an option. I wish I were more patient and could convince myself to do it, but I'm not. If I'm going someplace with bad parking though I'll usually find someplace near the MAX and park somewhere around 15 minutes from where I'm going. (Blazers games)

Valuable information. Hopefully I will get lucky with job and house location if/when we actually move there.