Stylus gunk

On my debit carbon ortofon 2m red cartridge, i seem to have accumulated a persistent level of dust which i can't remove with a magic eraser per the method indicated, of dropping the tone arm, lifting and repeating. I have no other method at the moment and can't really afford the proper solutions to do so. Any one know of another diy method? i am getting a very noticeable fuzz in my sound and have stopped playing vinyl, concerned im ruining my other recordings.

I used to use the magic eraser until a buddy surprise hooked me up with a zerodust. Pretty eye-opening how bad the magic eraser was working for me (granted, I live in the dust bowl of AZ and have a dog, so my dust situation is out of control). I loved it so much I paid the favor forward and ordered a zerodust for another friend. 

s

chump. I just bought one of those sticky hands from a quarter machine as suggested above.

I don't think a sticky hand was suggested, just described as similar material for cleaning purposes. Regardless. I have read that the sticky hands were similar in composition, but honestly, I have tried both and find them similar in composition, but not in ability to clean.

The sticky hands you can get out of a machine don't clean the stylus in nearly the same fashion the Zero Dust does. If you want to take the DIY route, just "spring" for the magic eraser.

I use the magic eraser in conjunction with the zero dust and couldn't be happier, but that's just my option on it.

I don't think a sticky hand was suggested, just described as similar material for cleaning purposes. Regardless. I have read that the sticky hands were similar in composition, but honestly, I have tried both and find them similar in composition, but not in ability to clean.

The sticky hands you can get out of a machine don't clean the stylus in nearly the same fashion the Zero Dust does. If you want to take the DIY route, just "spring" for the magic eraser.

I use the magic eraser in conjunction with the zero dust and couldn't be happier, but that's just my option on it.

No way, it works just like it says on the internet.  If you suggest that I am wrong, I will get mad and call you names.

• 1 month later...

So, I ordered a Zero Dust through Amazon's Warehouse deals...and they sent me just the Zero Dust display card in an opened plastic sleeve and no Zero Dust inside.  :mellow:

CRUCIAL UPDATE:  I found another Warehouse deal for a Zero Dust (cheaper too, $16) and, this time, it arrived fine.  This thing works awesome.  Everyone go get one.

• 2 months later...

SGGTC0n.jpg

What do you guys think about my new self made stylus cleaning box?

Half is made of Mr. Clean Magic Eraser brush and half of anti-slip grip pad made of the same material of the moongel but a little less soft, washable as well (The pad is like this http://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0780/0877/products/gripad_black_grande.jpg?v=1445780449.) The back is totally flat and since it's black you can easily see what the stylus leaves on it.

All cutted to fit in that little cute pink box that has the same height of the platter.

It seems to work perfectly.

I really don't trust using a magic eraser. It probably work fine, but since it essentially acts like really fine sand paper, I don't trust it anywhere near my stylus. Box looks great though.