Post Your Walkman Thread

Since there is a dedicated section for Cassettes now and I didn't see anything specifically for tape players I decided to start a thread. I'm always interested in different Walkman because some work great and others like shit.

For instance I've been buying mostly every Walkman I find at thrift shops. I've noticed that durabrand sucks, at least in my experience, the output never sounds good but that could also mean because it's old and used.

My favorite is this Panasonic RQ-NX60V. It's very compact, metal body, has a latch lock and theres an auto reverse feature. It only takes one AA battery. There's a battery check, it's still full after 3 weeks and I use it every day in my car.

i74lyc.jpg

Definitely one of favorites, if you come across this model, I recommend it. There's a TPS feature which allows you to skip tracks completely but I'm not sure how to use this feature yet.. I think it has to do something with the remote control I don't have for it.

Now post what you use for cassette playback!

I'm an equal opportunities hoarder when it comes to hifi and this is true of all things analogue. I've got many many turntables, cassette decks and open reel machines but sadly not many Walkman's.

I've got a Sony WM-EX19 and a Sharp JC-7G® that don't get any use and I think I only bought them because the Sony came in an original Sony Walkman pouch and the Sharp was still boxed. The trouble is at home and in the car I'm spoilt for choice cassette play wise.

And yes thrift stores are a great place for them and I've always wanted that Sony one that's the same size as a cassette case.

I'm not into cassettes now, but when I was a youth, it was the only option.  I used to rock a Sony Sports walkman.  It was a fine piece of machinery that held up nicely.  In 1992, I lost it in a halfpipe while snowboarding.  I dug it out of the snow and, even after being run over with the edge of my snowboard, it still worked perfectly.  It's rotting is some landfill now.