Pro-Ject Elemental vs U-Turn Orbit

I'd avoid the Elemental, because iirc, the counter weight and anti-skate are not adjustable. This limits you in any cartridge you'd want to use. It is also really light, which can be good and bad. I'd probably go with the Orbit, since there are more upgrade options for the down the line if you want to do so.

I was looking at the Essential as well, and I'm actually on the East Coast... Canuck mart is like a Kijiji kind of site, right? There is an audio store (Peak Audio) near me that has the Elemental on sale for 249.00 + tax, and yeah, the Orbit Basic is 303 shipped from the States. I liked the look of the Elemental, but the Orbit sounds like the preference between the two, for sure. I will look more into the Essential too. Thanks for the input!

Not sure if you can get the same deal in Canada, but here in the LAND OF THE FREE, you can get 15-20% off the Debut Carbon DC pretty easily through Musician's Friend.  I think that at that price point (less than $350), the U-turn isn't as attractive given the upgrades that most people recommend.

In Canada, for whatever reason, both Pro-Ject and Rega have deals with distributors in such a way that it's pretty impossible to even buy a new turntable online, let alone for a discount. You can look at some prices across different dealers and see if a local one might price match. The only turntables you can buy online in Canada outside of Canuck Audio Mart seem to be the various Crosleys that Amazon keeps suggesting to me...

Just called me, and it's gone, it was actually a dealer. Best one price-wise they have is the Elemental for 249.00

From what I read on the Elemental, like someone already mentioned, it doesn't have an adjustable couterweight. The arm is made for whatever weight the cartridge it comes with is, so they work well together. If you don't plan on upgrading anytime soon, the Elemental could be a good option for you.

I had Pro-Ject Essential and I really liked it. I eventually upgraded the cartridge to a 2M Red and thought it sounded pretty good. I never had any inner groove distortion which is a problem with one of my current turntable/cartridges. 

I think all the major differences have already been stated.

I see no pros with the Elemental, other than it's cheaper and won't destroy records like a Crosely.

Have you tried the Elemental? I'm aware of the differences, just looking for his opinion seeing as he's tried both. I don't think the Elemental is that bad of a turntable, obviously people in this thread prefer the Orbit, but considering it's had good reviews, I think it's worth considering. I admit I am leaning towards the Orbit, but I just want to be sure.. the Elemental is easier for me to get, as it's sold locally. 

I've never tried either, but I'm just looking at future upgrading for you (trust me, you will get to this point). Orbit can be upgraded, the Elemental the most you can do is change the stylus or maybe the cart if you can find one the exact same weight with the same tracking force.

Have you tried the Elemental? I'm aware of the differences, just looking for his opinion seeing as he's tried both. I don't think the Elemental is that bad of a turntable, obviously people in this thread prefer the Orbit, but considering it's had good reviews, I think it's worth considering. I admit I am leaning towards the Orbit, but I just want to be sure.. the Elemental is easier for me to get, as it's sold locally. 

I vote neither. Grab at least a used Debut III. Both the Elemental and the standard Orbit have way too many compromises to be even worth considering.

I vote neither. Grab at least a used Debut III. Both the Elemental and the standard Orbit have way too many compromises to be even worth considering.

Debut III. $150CDN. East Coast. http://www.canuckaudiomart.com/details/649229187-project-debut-iii/

Enough money to not feel bad about upgrading in 2 years.