new Technics Grand Class SL 1200G turntable

For the limited one several thousand pounds so around 4 to $5000 which for someone who thinks an average original SL1200 is way overpriced used I think this is just ridiculous, talk about milking the vinyl bubble, you can buy a proper turntable for that money.

At that price I hope it's fitted with a Koetsu at least and not just a black.

Haven't done too much research, but I'm curious as to what the difference is between the old model, (which by the way, was fine) and this new model is? What is in this new TT that is going to warrant a $3000 - 4000 price increase...?

I would read the blurb it's actually a great way of insulting your existing customers because they go on about all the drawbacks and speed issues of direct drive and how they have now supposedly overcome them, they also go on about design changes to the arm and all it looks like they have done is beef up the bearing housing and managed to make it look a little cheaper in the process.

I would like to hear one though but I have an inkling I won't hear the money, I expect if the limited one is in the 2 or 3 grand region then the standard one is going to be around £1000 and like I say you can buy a proper turntable for that.

Taking the other side of the fence if they have done this properly then the R&D costs will have been pretty high, the new tooling costs quite high and I don't suppose they are expecting to sell in high volumes and it does make a statement to the world and to their competition, the main stream press will pick up on it and the Technics name will be ever more intertwined with the vinyl record.

The trouble is the cost of the limited one forces me to ponder the words of that great Scottish philosopher William Connelly who when faced with a salesman in Harrods in the early 70's trying to sell him a carpet for £40,000 he uttered the phrase "For a fucking carpet?" It has resonance here I feel.

Not sure if the article was edited after this was posted, but it says the price of the standard version is $4k. No info on the "limited edition" model though.

yeah, they added all of that after I posted.  4k is absurd.  I was thinking they were going to price the standard at something like $1700 and the special edition at $4-5k.

I refer you to my earlier post. And I suppose if they don't sell that will be evidence of the vinyl bubble bursting

Eh, they are making it part of their "Grand" line of components.  These days you basically have to offer a turntable in your reference line (see Marantz) and the 4k price tag is in line with the CD players etc in the line...so even if they don't sell many it's mostly a statement line than an actual for-profit endeavor.

I understand about the statement they are making and these supposed reference components but as you say 4k is absurd and I think there will be plenty of profit in there, ironically I think they will sell, there are enough people out there with deep enough pockets, enough of a lack of understanding and the urge to say look what I've got how great am I? Also the SL1200 legend is very strong to drive that mindset, the evidence of that being the price a standard 2nd hand 1200 has always commanded.

Also my vinyl bubble bursting was a sarcastic comment about the uneducated press who like to build things up and then brutally knock them down very publicly.

It also makes me wonder what they are going to ask for the limited one though?

I believe the 1200 mk2 sold for about $650 back in '79-'80 when they first came out.  Which in today's money is about $1900.

These were never a reasonably priced consumer turntable.  Expecting a $750 mk2 today is completely ridiculous. 

Still, I think $2000 would be a better price than $4000. 

This is semi-related. What is everyone's thought on the Pioneer PLX-1000 that came out a year or so ago?

Supposed to be the best clone, but it suffers from bad bearings and something else (which I forget). It's also really high compared to the other clones.

LOL at people bitchin that it's over $7xx. The 1200 was $700, IN 1980

Again, the original was yes, but the latest generations before it was discontinued was under that price. So it was cheaper in 2010, than in 1972.