Record Stores In Tokyo

Hi All - I am headed to Japan next week next week for work for a couple days.  I don't have a ton of time but I hear Tokyo has some great record stores, can anyone recommend anything?

Appreciate your help!!

D

hey I went last year..

feel free to hit me up on PM and ill try to help you out.

but definitely Big Love for new releases and their own titles

and DiskUnions around the city.

they RULE>

are you going to Osaka? 

Just go to a Disk Union & buy "The Record Map" assuming that you or someone you are with can read Japanese & find what is closest to you.

114723704.jpg

Your head will then explode.

If you're in Shinkjuku & have some time to kill, take the edibles you smuggled with you & go to the Robot Restaurant. You'll know you're in the right spot when you hear overhead speakers telling you to be wary of prostitutes because you will most likely wake up without your wallet & lying next to an elderly lady. Apparently they get you hammered & do a bait & switch. Instead of you not getting sex & just robbing you, you get robbed but get to bone an old lady. The criminals are polite like that. 

While it wasn't the best store, I had the coolest experience in Okinawa. You didn't say you're going there but I'm telling the story anyway.

We had to wander through these alleys & walk through sheets that were draped across entire sections to find this one store. It was super surreal. Then out of no where we turned this corner & there was this record store/bar/coffee shop combo that had a dj set up that the owner would just play whatever you were interested in for you & everyone else in the place to hear. That's where I got the North Korean pop record I used in my signature below.

If you're into weird shit or like a wide range of music, good luck limiting your purchases to what you can carry on a plane and/or safely pack in your luggage.

p.s.

Japan is not expensive. Anyone who says so either comes from nowheresville USA or has only visited 3rd world countries when travelling abroad. Food & used records, considering the quality, are very cheap.

Oki.jpg

Ebo Taylor repress graded as EX but looked unplayed for $9.

If you see this for $30 or less and don't mind snagging it I would love you forever. Totally don't go out of your way, but it's something I have been hunting for a while with no luck and figured Japan was the most likely place to have one

http://www.discogs.com/Lia-AIR-%E9%B3%A5%E3%81%AE%E8%A9%A9Farewell-Song-AIR-Analog-Collectors-Edition/release/1984832