X-Men?

I'm not a huge X-Men fan, but I would recommend the stuff that Grant Morrison wrote (New X-Men).

http://www.amazon.com/New-X-Men-Grant-Mo....29676 98&sr=1-2

http://www.amazon.com/New-X-Men-Grant-Mo....2967698&sr =1-6

If you want a classic X-Men tale, you can't go wrong with the Dark Phoenix Saga or Days Of Future Past.

http://www.amazon.com/X-Men-Dark-Phoenix....2968159&sr= 1-1

http://www.amazon.com/X-Men-Days-Future-....2968401 &sr=1-1

X Men is constantly in a perpetual state of jumping on points, the stories are so incestuous and tangent fragmented, that they usually explain everything going on whether you like it or not.

If you're going for the hardcover trades, chances are they're pretty classic. If you have the opportunity, start with the original series (Uncanny X-Men) issue #1 then go from there, if not just try anything.

feel free to PM me if you have any questions, i've been reading the X books for a good 15 years. It's not all great, but there are a lot of good stories out there.

As a casual reader the Ultimate Series is pretty good as it's not at all rooted in 30+ years of continuity.

Grant Morrison's run is probably my favorite, even if they did fuck him over on Xorn, but it's def not a good place to start as it's so Morrison-esque at points that it's ridiculous and not even close to what one should expect from 98% of the other thousands of X-books

Astonishing is great if you're not looking to read it monthly.

Early Claremont is nearly flawless.

I haven't really read in X book in years as I don't enjoy the every other month being part of a huge crossover.

Do you guys think it would be worth it to track down the masterworks releases of the uncanny x-men and x-men?

Those are nice, but I believe there's an Uncanny Omnibus either out or coming out.

Those usually cover 20-40 issues and are priced much fairer than the Masterworks.

If you're just looking to read the books and don't mind B&W the Marvel Essential line is a steal.

honestly, i'd say don't bother unless you want to read Age of Apocalypse, since it's self contained. the x books are so confusing anymore, it's impossible to make heads or tails of it. i was big into them from xmen 90-new xmen 125, and i just tried to get back into and an have no clue what's going on. the books now all have some running story about there being no new mutants and the race going extinct, then there's a baby born, and now cable is carrying it around. i've been picking up Xforce and Cable for the PC, but haven't been reading them yet (no time to). doubt i'll have a clue what's going on once i do read them anyways.

honestly, i'd say don't bother unless you want to read Age of Apocalypse, since it's self contained. the x books are so confusing anymore, it's impossible to make heads or tails of it. i was big into them from xmen 90-new xmen 125, and i just tried to get back into and an have no clue what's going on. the books now all have some running story about there being no new mutants and the race going extinct, then there's a baby born, and now cable is carrying it around. i've been picking up Xforce and Cable for the PC, but haven't been reading them yet (no time to). doubt i'll have a clue what's going on once i do read them anyways.

Wikipedia it a really great resource for jumping back into comics.

There's title I read currently that have events happening concurrent with other books and Wikipedia has been a blessing (and also saved me ~$10 a month)

no spoiler alert?

here's a spoiler:

the only way to actually kill Wolverine is to remove his head and keep it away from his body forever.

Is that for real?

I'd think that his body would re-form from his neck down.

In "Civil War" he grew back from being burnt till he was only bones, and I think Chris Clairmont had him grow back from a single drop ofhis blood in one story (although I haven't read that one).