Newbie question - how to put record back into sleeve?

May 8, 1:25 PM EST

Kenneth Levinsmith Inducted Into Record Album Handling Hall of Fame

BY DAVID S. SPUDNICK

Associated Press

hof.jpg

GRAND FALLS, MI -- Longtime record collector Kenneth 'White Gloves' Levinsmith was inducted into the Record Album Handling Hall Of Fame in a quiet ceremony early Saturday afternoon in downtown Grand Falls.

Ken is a native of Detroit but has turned a quiet retirement community in Orlando, FL into his year-round home. The proud owner of what friends describe as a "world-class polka collection", Ken says his crowing achievement was returning a vinyl record album back to its original picture sleeve a previously unheard of 4,754 consecutive times without touching the edge of the jacket. Thats a whopping 12 year, 4 month span that bests the next closest competitor by nearly a decade.

"When I first got into the hobby" the still youthful 'Kenney White Gloves' remarks, "I always wanted to focus on the fundamentals like my sleeve handling. None of this flashy stuff you see these DJs doing with their platters nowadays. Today, with this great honor, the fundamentals have paid off."

There were some heavyweights from the Record Handling world in attendance at the event, and most agree with that notion. Richie '180 Gram' Rossi - a highly regarded sleeve handler himself, and a member of RAHHOF Class of '02 - said of Ken, "You see these kids today, in their Hot Topics and Barnes and Nobles, holding their long players by the grooves, and it just chokes you up. They could learn a thing or two from Kenny. A little something called Vinyl Respect. Or Vispect, for short."

Adds Jimmy 'The Human Record Brush' Horton, "These kids today, with their iPods and Record Stores Days. They don't know what it was like in the days before polybags. We had to use dry cleaning bags in those days. Just think of it - dry cleaning bags! Those things sure as hell ain't acid-free!!"

On 5/7/2016 at 5:43 PM, CrunkPosby said:

Wow, great community!  I guess I've learned my lesson. I'm stupid and I'll just go away now.

It is a harsh community to be introduced to. I had a similar shit post that people ripped on me for. You will learn the ways of VC. The way to insert your record back into the sleeve is like this guy said: 

2 hours ago, Derek™ said:

Think of it less as putting your record back into the sleeve, and more as putting your sleeve back onto the record.  It may help you out.

So, hold it like the picture you posted. Keeping it sideways, slide the sleeve over the side of the record and over you hand. Grab the sleeve and take your hand out and you should be good to go. This isn't a big problem of how you insert it, just don't drop it strait down into the sleeve. Over time you may get light surface scratches from taking the record in and out of the sleeve, but thats the price you pay when choosing vinyl. Hope this helped man. I may get down voted for helping this gent, but in my mind it is worth helping this guy out and taking a few blows.... even if it is coke I am snorting off my record at 45 rpm.

• jhulud locked this topic