How to Budget/Save on Your Vinyl Setup

Don't know if there's a separate thread for this kinda thing, but I wanted to share some tips on how to save money buying a new setup (I did my lazy first 3 pages of search and found nothing). I just realized last night I'm actually a pretty good online shopper. 

Basically I just managed to grab a Audio Engine N22 Desktop Amp for $110 and got a Pro-Ject Debut Carbon DC for $270. Net-savings on those two items: $260 (counting tax in CA + shipping). I also managed to save $250 dollars on my last computer desktop build with some of these tricks. 

So trick #1: Save up for the full price of whatever expensive thing your heart desires, but don't buy it just yet.... instead, wait around and look for sales, like the ones below.

Trick #2: Look for "Open-Box" Sales. Both of the aforementioned items were in such a category. Generally that just means some picky person got it, opened the box, and then for some reason returned it, and usually not because it was defective. We're talking they bought it on credit and realized they can't afford it, or they wanted to cancel, but it was already in the mail. In the case of my amp, it specified it had all the original packaging and cables, they were right. It even had all 3 bags that the amp,cables,power cables come in. So literally brand new for $90 off.  

Trick #3: Use sites like camelcamelcamel.com (yeah I know that's the worst name for a website ever).... It basically allows you to see a graph of historic Amazon Prices for an item. It's really handy because you can tell if it's an item that regularly goes on sale, what time those sales are (Christmas, etc.), and also allows you to set up notifications for the item. So I could just say "Tell me when this Turntable drops below $350" and it will shoot me an email when that happens. If you're into computery stuff pcpartpicker.com is another great one for this, as it list all prices of an items for handfuls of stores, including rebates. (They also keep track of things like Headphones, Speakers and DACs).

Trick #4: Always google "<insert website here> coupons" before checking out. More often than not, there will be one I find that saves me a few bucks. 

Anyways... got any other tips for this kind of thing? I would love to know if you guys have any cool online shopping tips.

Edited by MCDELTAT
grammar nazi

Not really a trick to finding a lower cost setup, but more of a perspective: I cut back on my record purchases until I had enough money to buy a better setup. After years of buying multiple albums a month and spinning them on a crappy setup, it finally occurred to me that my spending was upside down.

Buying and owning records doesn't matter if they sound horrid. 

Edited by VinylSandwich

8 minutes ago, VinylSandwich said:

Not really a trick to finding a lower cost setup, but more of a perspective: I cut back on my record purchases until I had enough money to buy a better setup. After years of buying multiple albums a month and spinning them on a crappy setup, it finally occurred to me that my spending was upside down.

Buying and owning records doesn't matter if they sound horrid. 

Word. Exactly what I did to save for this too. 

Trick #ALL: Buy used. :D I saved 80% of retail on my speakers (5 years old at the time of purchase), 70% on my table (10 years old), 65% on my amp (10 years old), 77% on my HT receiver (4 years old), 70% on my HT center speaker (6 years old), 70% on my sub (demo model), everything is still working flawlessly. Sure, I'll gladly buy new if I can find it for around 50% off (as I did with my HT fronts), but other than that, second hand is the way to go. There are certain components I prefer to buy new though, regardless of what kind of deal I can get on them.

Edited by slinch

1 hour ago, Crabwalker said:

Definitely the best advice is buy used, demo/floor model, or b-stock.

I have a set up that would cost me over $20k if I purchased everything brand new.  Instead I bought almost everything used or b-stock and paid like half of that. 

I agree. But to do that, you should not only look around at online stores but also at your local hifi dealer.

Especially in the price regions you are talking about, pretty much every dealer should be able to make you an offer 10 to 20% below the MSRP.