Looking for some vinyl collectors to help try out a new app

Hi everyone, first post so here goes...I use discogs a lot to check vinyl prices like a lot of people do, but I wanted a way to keep track of when the prices go up or down.

So I made a web app that keeps track and adds up the value of your records each day. Its pretty basic, but I'm looking for about ten people to try it out and see if they find it useful.

If you message me I can send you an invite to sign up.

Cheers,

Beat Physics

You can add Discogs releases by pasting in their release URL at the moment.

This is so I can test to see if we come across any discogs API rate limits / bugs. I'm advising new users to pick about 25 records for now.

If it all works OK with the test folks, next step will be coding up the discogs sync you're describing.

PM and I'll send you a link to try it out, thanks

Edited by Beat Physics

3 hours ago, Beat Physics said:

If I am buying records, its a way of spotting a good deal.

So you can look up prices individually?  That I can see being helpful.  Loading my collection into your app just to get notification that it's total value increased/decreased by $XX doesn't sound like something I need to know on-the-go.  And if I did, then I could just open Discogs.  If I can search individual and get a quick simple easy-to-read result, then I could see being interested in this.  Because it's kind of a pain to open Discogs on my phone, the site hasn't been optimized for mobile and it can be clunky getting around on it.

^^ try the discogs app rather than load site on phone?

-------

who determines the value of my vinyl? these aren't crude barrels of oil or a precious metal. the  price could have a huge swing from low to high based on a shit ton of silly factors.

or does the app just average all the other sites prices? 

6 hours ago, daegor said:

Legit question, how is this any different than what Discogs already does?  You can view your collection with statistics and it will tell you exactly what everything is currently worth.

Does this literally just notify you of changes?

Hey above theearth, its based on discog's own data, it does a few extra calculations on that data to determine things like 'demand' and 'accuracy'.

Discogs API contains a lot more detailed data than is publicly accessible through their website front end.

4 hours ago, nancy_raygun said:

So you can look up prices individually?  That I can see being helpful.  Loading my collection into your app just to get notification that it's total value increased/decreased by $XX doesn't sound like something I need to know on-the-go.  And if I did, then I could just open Discogs.  If I can search individual and get a quick simple easy-to-read result, then I could see being interested in this.  Because it's kind of a pain to open Discogs on my phone, the site hasn't been optimized for mobile and it can be clunky getting around on it.

Thanks - this is all useful for me to understand how people tend to use discogs. You've def hit on a couple of points I'm trying to address with this app.

If I can search individual and get a quick simple easy-to-read result, then I could see being interested in this.

At the bare minimum, this is what the focus of the app is. Do PM me to give it a go - I should mention no personal details are required to sign up.

16 minutes ago, abovetheearth said:

^^ try the discogs app rather than load site on phone?

-------

who determines the value of my vinyl? these aren't crude barrels of oil or a precious metal. the  price could have a huge swing from low to high based on a shit ton of silly factors.

or does the app just average all the other sites prices? 

That's a quite a deep question there - what's the value of anything and why?

1. For me, records are worth however much I believe them to be - its completely subjective. But then if a record is rare / famous and in demand, people will expect to pay more for it - its just supply demand. 

2. Records aren't fungible like oil or commodities, they are simply collectables / antiques and so pricing is subjective. Which is why discogs is so successful - a half decent torch is better than no torch.

6 hours ago, Tardcore said:

at least it's not another one of these guys who think that their new app/website/google doc can replace Discogs.

Discogs is king and will likely continue to be - they have the best public data on the planet when it comes to records - they know it and that's why they opened up their API to developers so we can keep getting more useful stuff out of it.

39 minutes ago, Beat Physics said:

That's a quite a deep question there - what's the value of anything and why?

1. For me, records are worth however much I believe them to be - its completely subjective. But then if a record is rare / famous and in demand, people will expect to pay more for it - its just supply demand. 

2. Records aren't fungible like oil or commodities, they are simply collectables / antiques and so pricing is subjective. Which is why discogs is so successful - a half decent torch is better than no torch.

I didn't mean it as deep as it sounded. I just meant I don't really base my 'internal' prices to either buy or sell; on discogs. not trying to nitpick, just interested to hear and grasp/see it all in place. 

Edited by abovetheearth