When will you stop collecting?

Here's something I've been thinking about lately due to the fact I'm currently overseas and the person collecting my mail says that it's beginning to take over their house.

So, my question is, at what point would/do/will you stop collecting?

It's occurred to me that I currently do not have the space in my small corner of the house to keep collecting the way I have been (not even an expedit is going to solve the problem), and moving out on my own to a bigger dwelling to accommodate my vinyl collection seems completely absurd, especially since I can't afford to do so. I've said for a long time that I'm going to 'slow down' on the purchasing, but I've found that, for me, it's sort of an 'all or nothing' game in that, if something's out that I want, I get anxious and have to snap it up as soon as possible to avoid missing it, I can't just sit on it or watch it go past.

The other thing is, the amount of records being released are infinite, but space and money are very finite things, so where does one draw a line? I stopped collecting cold-turkey once back in 2002-2006 due to space constraints, the way things are going it might soon come to that again. I just cannot afford to keep growing at this size, and liking so many bands, with so many different releases being put out every fucking week doesn't help. So what are your thoughts, when will you stop?

Very interested in the thoughts of the people with some of the bigger collections (+600 records) here - how do you manage this, lest you completely wipe yourself out of space/money?

Space should never be an issue, and if it becomes one, then purge your collection and sell of the stuff that's not essential. Looking at my collection, I own WAY too many 7-inches that for the most part I never even bother playing anymore. I tend to buy many more LPs now than 7-inches/10-inches, just because I enjoy the format more. So being a smart buyer will help your collection stay manageable.

i have an entire bedroom that the walls are completely lined with 6 foot shelves. every shelf is packed full of records (there are way more than +600 records on a single shelf. i have 15 of them). in the middle of the room there are more shelves packed with records (its sort of like a donut). in the closets are boxes of records.

in my kitchen i have a large expedit and two double wide 6 foot tall shelves of records.

as far as personal collecting, i doubt ill ever stop. i always find out about new bands, and old bands that i want to pick stuff up. its never been about collecting for me. its about the sweet music. i have always ebayed that rare variant ive gotten, cause i could care less about bragging about having the limited to 3 splatter version. id much rather take the money and buy a handful of plain black records i can actually listen to and enjoy.

personal collecting has slowed a ton though, simply because at this point there isnt much left for me to get. Its why ive never had a tradelist. i dont trade much, cause there is so little that i want/need at this point. well that, and im too lazy to type up 20 thousand records onto a text file somewhere.

i will probably still add to the collection all the time with mediocre cheapos from the 50 cent bins, but there are only a handful of records at this point that i actually "seek" out.

also, in regards to the bands/labels putting stuff out every week. i notice the more records that come out, the less that are actually interesting, and the less interested i am in picking them up. too many kids pick up all these weekly releases because of the hype on messageboards about them

i agree with what Scott said. if space becomes an issue, go through and purge. i bet most people can go through and get rid of at least 25% of their collection and not even miss it or hardly know its gone because its stuff they never listen to, or bought cause of the hype, or to flip, or cause they wanted to finish a complete collection, etc. look at how much space is taken up vs. how many times you actually put that novelty 5" on. or how many of the 30 variants of a single record you actually listen to, or take out to enjoy etc.

I have a very understanding wife, who has allowed my collection to virtually take over our Living room (In my defence I did have a large collection already, before we met!) I am constantly sorting through it, and sometimes stuff has to go to allow new things in, over the years my tastes change, and it's not worth keeping something you'll never listen to again!!

But I'll only stop collecting when there is nothing worth buying!!!

i've reached over 1,200 for the first time and space still isn't an issue. the 7"s outnumber the 12"s 10:1 though, so that helps. currently i am staying with a friend while i get my feet off the ground, so i have my six LP crates stuck in a corner, my six 7" tubs in the pantry, and about a dozen more boxes of records i haven't had time/space to filter into my collection in various parts of the apartment.

but to answer the question: never. i'll always at least casually buy records, i've never really been 'rabid' about anything, i just spend a little too much at one time every once in awhile.

Does anyone else feel like they have the problem of just liking too many bands? I enjoy many different genres of music so this is a real issue for me.

absolutely. i always astound my friends because i listen to thousands of bands from all kinds of genres, but my vinyl collection mostly consists of pop-punk so its not the most accurate representation of my music taste.

i still look at it from the perspective of buying rather than collecting. i know its splitting hairs to a certain extent but its the troof. to me collecting means just letting things sit on my shelf and not getting much play and ive never been one to buying variants/multiple copies but thats not the question at hand. im at about 1300 records these days and have started to run out of some room on my shelf, not quite there yet but ill take that in stride once i meet that point. im at the same junction where i do like a lot of different bands from different genres.

granted at some point im going to slow down and not keep up with the newer bands/records but as long as its something im interested in and enjoy you better believe im still buying. continue buying records you think youll truly enjoy and appreciate and it all works out.

Space does become an issue - I have about 4000 LPs in my living room covering a whole wall, and then another 2000 in the attic, plus another 2000 7"s. Obviously not as much as vinyljunkie, but still it takes up a lot of room. I barely have space to add any more, and there's always stuff coming out, and I like way too many nabds and genres, but it's an addiction, and i can't ever see myself stopping. I have sold a few hundred over the last few years, but although I hardly ever reach in and play records from way back, I can't ever see myself selling them.

I mean when was the last time I played the first Husker Du LP? I can't remember, but I love that record, so why would i sell it?

Like googlemyass, the ultimate answer is "when I die".

I really really wish I could get rid of some, coz my credit card is maxed out and I need the cash, but I can't bring myself to do it.

doubtfully ever.. i've been addicted to purchasing music since i was 12 (a bad habit i picked up from my father) . i have continually pared down the collection as it grew, eliminating stuff i wasn't really into, got for free and didn't like... or piles of crap left i got from the label or working at clubs. At the moment i have maybe 500 lps and 600 7", as well as maybe 2000 cds in my personal collection, and then probably another 6-10,000 cds , and say another 500 or so lps from the label. and thats just getting worse as we're getting a little more prolific.

I'm a music junkie. I, like flood, will always be purchasing music in any format...vinyl to be the specific one for this thread. I enjoy it. The collecting aspect is secondary on some bands but on others I still pursue every single variant and whatnot. I don't know if I ever will stop. I guess as long as bands I like keep putting out releases, I will keep getting them. And discovering new bands will add to that as well.