When will you stop collecting?

I have plenty of room but my collection has gotten rather large over the last year (but no where near some of you guys' collections). i hit the 1k mark a few months ago. I want to slow down on my spending and start to clean out records i dont listen to anymore but i have been collecting off and on for about 10-11 years. i took a few year break during college but i doubt i will ever completely stop. My biggest concern is moving my collection because i plan on leaving florida in a couple/few years and moving cross country to portland. but im not going to worry about it for a while.

any of you guys with huge collections move long distances?

yea, i see it as just buying music. i have been buying records since i was 5 or 6 (at Sears no less) and sold my collection to pay for a enormous college debt. After the guilt went away i started up again, and since then i don't think i'll be getting rid of any more. I will dwindle down my collection of vinyl as i do my cd's, but i don't think i'll ever stop again...maybe slow down, but never will i stop.

outside of one band I don't really worry about getting all the different varients. If I have the chance I get the rarest version of a record as long as I can afford it. At the moment though my collection is still in it's early stages so the space issue hasn't come up yet. I'm sure I'll take it as it comes.

I think I just accumulate things. When space gets tight I sell some things.

Moving takes some thought.

I've moved my records cross country (CO->NY) once and I had little problems (boxed them up in the 50packs that pressed LPs get shipped in).

Starting in August I'll be in Chicago 2/3 of the time and wondering if I should move my LPs there (since it would be paid for) even though I'll still have my house here.

In general though, I am a fan of the fewer moves the better and can understand why some of you college kids keep most of your collection at your parents' place.

Records are small (thin) enough for me to collect for a really long time so space isn't an issue.

I'm really weird about collecting things - when I was younger I collected Transformers. My room was FILLED with Transformers and one day I just got sick of them. Nowadays they sit in boxes in my garage. I've sold off a few here and there because I hate having stuff sitting around but I don't have the heart to sell them.

I really hope this doesn't happen with records but it probably will. I try and live a minimalistic lifestyle but it's pretty difficult - I love gadgets, movies, music, and video games!

I think of it as collecting and buying music.

I don't think I'll ever stop, but there will always be highs and lows on how much I buy during a particular period. A year ago and a half ago when working in the music industry completely burned me out on music, I wasn't buying too much.

Right now, I'm at a high end and am picking up several records every week. I can't fathom not buying records in some capacity at any point in my life.