Selling Out Question?

Hearing the new Alkaline Trio album, seeing the bad video and then having my 16 year old cousin tell me about them on the hills made me think about as one gets older where does one make the distinction between blatantly selling out and then doing what is best for one's family. Being an old man (over 30) and having a child with the desire of wanting three more, my first thought is when seeing the video was this band has gone to far and then more I thought about it, I may do the same thing if an opportunity arises. It made me think that right now I would do anything to give my daughter everything and give her every opportunity in this world. To those who have kids is taking things to a level you may not have intended to go (not taking it as far as going on tour with Miley Cyrus) worth it to put your family in the best situation possible. I lived in a REAL gang infested area and did whatever it took to get my daughter in a safe area with great schools, so can one blame a band for making trendy music in hopes of creating a great situation for their family. Its a tough question.

you cant blame them really, once you get mature you understand the reality.. but you don't have to listen to it and you can hate that they dont make breaktrough stuff anymore. its really rare that bands are able to do more than 3 really good albums anyway... They are still one of my favorite band but i haven't bought anything they did after From Here to Infirmary because i don't like it. i wont even listen to the new album

i can see how alk3 would give a major label a shot just out of being one of the most respected bands in the "scene" and seeing all their peers who came out AFTER them reach much greater success

all the kids that listen to the radio bands that came out of the same general scene know or at least know of alk3 so with major label exposure and marketing, they got a good shot at selling alot of records

even still, with that video and those nikes they still might be goin a little too far but they have a rep that spans far back enough to not really be able to hate on them too much for it

I have to add that neither Dan nor Matt came from shitty areas...I don't know about Derek...but he's the undisputed talent in the band now anyway...but as far as all my older friends have told me about growing up with those dudes/being in bands with them is that they're from upper class families and that's all they know. I don't fault them...this is the logical next step for them(see my other rant in the agony and irony thread)...but at the same time...it's a job...they do what they do to make money and I'm sure they don't hate it...but they put on the uniform and go through the motions. This eventually happens to 99.9% of bands that make it past album three or four...

Dan grew up in Elgin, I've lived in Elgin for about 6 years. Its a real shithole, but he actually went to a real nice private school out here. He must have grew up in the like 5 percent of Elgin that is nice. I really dont think we can look at this like a Jawbreaker type deal, money is money. They must feel like making some before there time is up.