No Idea re-releasing Lifetime s/t LP?

mclz

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest falloutcollapse
jesus this thread got ugly fast....can't people just have different color preferences and we all get along?

This might be the meanest thread we've ever had. Thanks xPENNYWISEx.

No Idea doesn't press records on 10 different colors on purpose. You can't expect that shit to be 100% pure one color. Especially if it's a "mixed" color. Vinyl pellets/flakes come in only so many colors. If you want some color that's a mixture of a couple of different colors (say you want orange vinyl), they have to mix other colors to make it. As a result, not every record is going to be the same color, because while they mix the flakes up, they're never going to come out perfectly. Now, if it's a solid color, it's much more likely to turn out uniform throughout. Regardless, you still might get a streak or two in there from stray flakes from other pressings. They don't have dedicated presses for each possible color.

That said, anyone who complains about No Idea being cheap when it comes to pressing is insane. They usually have nice, full color layouts, inserts, colored vinyl, nice labels....all this shit is incredibly expensive. If they press 500 copies of a record, and they're selling it to the customer for $6 or whatever, they're probably barely breaking even. Press some records and you'll see what I mean. I was losing $1 on every copy I sold of the Boys Night Out LP at first. When you add up the cost of shipping supplies, paypal fees, paying people to pack orders, etc. No Idea is bottom dollar for sure. Quality product, great price. Shit, the only reason they can afford to do some of these records on vinyl at all is probably because people are willing to buy 25 different versions of the same Against Me! record.

+1

I made a pact with myself not to try and collect all the variants for any No Idea releases, since there tend to be so many. So, even though they release lots of stuff by bands I really like, I only end up buying one copy, which means their crazy color variation affinity ends up saving me money, after a fashion.

I don't understand why people balk at things getting repressed. I thought the point of collecting variants was to put in the effort of getting your hands on all the hard-to-find colors and pressings, not to have a record limited to one tiny pressing so that you and only 200 other people are cool enough to be able to listen to it.

Anyway, I missed out on this the first time around, so I'll be happy to pick it up.

I have no issue with the record being repressed. I think that's great. It's a great record. I also like that Fueled by Ramen isn't doing it. But the collector in me doesn't like the way No Idea does so many multiple colors for the same pressing. Most of which you can't even tell apart.

and the rarest stuff is only sold to people on special lists

damn straight. :D:D;)

it amazes me how uptight people get on this board when No Idea's practices are questioned. it's also amazing how those doing the questioning are branded the "bad guy". there will be no voicing of a differing opinion. those who dare express disapproval over color ambiguity of their favorite band's 18th pressing are quickly silenced and smited. hey you, avid and devoted collector, you just be happy this record's still readily available. there are hungry, starving children out there who would love to own it! here are your 2 choices, and be thankful we have offered 2: buy the record and love it, or dont buy the record. there is no middle ground; it's black and white.

thank god you guys have simplified all of this for me. go america.

it amazes me how uptight people get on this board when No Idea's practices are questioned. it's also amazing how those doing the questioning are branded the "bad guy". there will be no voicing of a differing opinion. those who dare express disapproval over color ambiguity of their favorite band's 18th pressing are quickly silenced and smited. hey you, avid and devoted collector, you just be happy this record's still readily available. there are hungry, starving children out there who would love to own it! here are your 2 choices, and be thankful we have offered 2: buy the record and love it, or dont buy the record. there is no middle ground; it's black and white.

thank god you guys have simplified all of this for me. go america.

That's why the terrorist hate our freedom.

FBR's fault for shit selling out so quickly. no limit on the amount you can order. people were getting 8 when they were ordering four, mostly extras for friends who didnt want to stay up (i'd hope). and when they sold out they had to take the band's copies. pretty lame, but what the hell. let's enjoy the fact that there will be another in-print lifetime record available to peeps.

if i was into this record i'd be stoked, but they've done better.

also, no idea rulez. and they've been doing a lot better with their colours. the majority of their recent releases haven't had a single grey pressing (though a few still have). and they've been doing some really rad colours, like the burnt clear, the "feast or famine" pressing, and a lot of the off with their heads pressings.

if i was into this record i'd be stoked, but they've done better.

also, no idea rulez. and they've been doing a lot better with their colours. the majority of their recent releases haven't had a single grey pressing (though a few still have). and they've been doing some really rad colours, like the burnt clear, the "feast or famine" pressing, and a lot of the off with their heads pressings.

That burnt clear is beautiful.

I feel that complaining about No Idea's practices is unjust. They're top notch. The prices, customer service and selection are second to none. Where else can you order a box full of quality records for under $50 with shipping (VC excluded)?

Honestly, if record collecting was easy it wouldn't be that much fun.

i was excited to hear about this. i like no idea. i dont have many of their releases, but i think the way they operate is top notch. every transaction ive made with them has been smooth and totally great.

i missed out buying this record the first time, because i didnt want to then. i didnt like it at the time. since listening to it over the months ive had it, ive come to like it a hell of a lot more.

and to be able to get this on vinyl from no idea rather then fbr is great. i dont even care if its on black. i just know that no idea will do a great job of it