New goal: Don't be a fatty.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i just started working out this summer. according to google maps, i run about 2.4 miles on most days. i don't do that great a job of watching what i eat, though... but apparently the running shows. i look a bit skinnier and feel better. but ive gained more muscle weight and haven't been loosing much weight.

i just started working out this summer. according to google maps, i run about 2.4 miles on most days. i don't do that great a job of watching what i eat, though... but apparently the running shows. i look a bit skinnier and feel better. but ive gained more muscle weight and haven't been loosing much weight.

From everything I understand you build muscle, "gain weight" aka muscle, and then quickly thereafter start losing weight like mad, depending on your starting state.

i weighed about 230 lbs back in december and im 6'1. anyway, around late winter/early spring when the flu was going around down here and i was smoking alot i ended up getting it and almost turned into pnumonia from what im told. it was fucking terrible, that was the worst two week stint of me getting sick ever. when it was all said and done i was 170 lbs. pretty rediculous. since then i cut out soda except for every now and then and now im down to 160lbs. i also drink tons of water and no more late night kitchen raids, instead i chew gum and it fulfills my stoner wants when it comes to munchies, i have discovered all you really want is the taste. i also eat a bigger breakfast and smaller dinner and that has helped alot.

my next step is to cut out fast food for the most part which is really hard cuz i live in the middle of any fast food place you could want. i also am trying to get in the habit of doing something active which is tough if you have been working at a computer desk for three years.

I'm not convinced when you eat has much to do with weight loss. I've heard arguments that seem valid for both not eating late and it not mattering.

When you sleep, your metabolism slows. So it's not really so much how late you eat, but rather how close to bedtime you eat.

This is how I see it though. So you eat then head to bed. What you've eaten doesn't really get digested fully so you wake-up without as much hunger.

However, I think the argument against eating late was more food turns in to fat because your metabolism slows, which I suppose makes sense.

When you sleep, your metabolism slows. So it's not really so much how late you eat, but rather how close to bedtime you eat.

This is how I see it though. So you eat then head to bed. What you've eaten doesn't really get digested fully so you wake-up without as much hunger.

However, I think the argument against eating late was more food turns in to fat because your metabolism slows, which I suppose makes sense.

I kind of agree with the idea of not eating late (more so close to bedtime) because your metabolism does indeed slow down. However, I'd like to see what rate your metabolism runs at while you're sitting down for prolonged periods of time. Next thing you know people are going to start saying "Don't eat before you go to work, or sit down, and walk while you eat!". Okay, maybe not, but it's possible.

I kind of agree with the idea of not eating late (more so close to bedtime) because your metabolism does indeed slow down. However, I'd like to see what rate your metabolism runs at while you're sitting down for prolonged periods of time. Next thing you know people are going to start saying "Don't eat before you go to work, or sit down, and walk while you eat!". Okay, maybe not, but it's possible.

It has to slow down a lot more at night when you are sleeping, since all your bodily functions and parts slow down for rest. I imagine it does slow down while inactive as well, since it does not need to convert food to energy. Drinking green tea every so often is a good way to keep your metabolism running pretty high.

It has to slow down a lot more at night when you are sleeping, since all your bodily functions and parts slow down for rest. I imagine it does slow down while inactive as well, since it does not need to convert food to energy. Drinking green tea every so often is a good way to keep your metabolism running pretty high.

Yeah, I figure your metabolism slows more when sleeping, almost similar to hibernation, just to extremes since it's short-term. The green tea is a good call, especially when nothing else is keeping you going.

About a month before I got married I did this and lost 15-20 lbs:

I ate 5 times a day... 3 meals and 2 snacks. I generally ate eggs/spinach/mushrooms w/ salsa for breakfast (and coffee or water); grilled chicken/fish w/ veggies and salad for lunch; and whatever for dinner (didn't gorge myself, but I wasn't as careful as breakfast/lunch). My snacks were usually an apple & tuna or a banana and some almonds or shit like that. And I drank an ass-load of water. Cut out soda, beer (mostly), etc.

Didn't exercise at all -- I'm sure if I did it would have sped shit up significantly.

Basically, just eat healthy and eat every 3 hours or so. And don't eat after 8 or 9 PM. That'll get your metabolism going without having to go on any crazy fad diets or whatever.

This is the best way to lose weight. I was at 210 3 summers ago and I did this and ran and weight trained for 7 weeks and I got down to 187 and was ripped. It's really easy. You just have to get rid of the stuff that you consume the most of, in my case, beer and such. And like everyone said, kill the sodas. Drink tea or water. Green tea boosts your metabolism also. If you don't want to get bulked up and just want to lose weight, do high repetitions and low weight when you lift. The only thing about the 5-6 small portions a day is that it gets expensive. Another way to keep you on track is to write out your weight so you see what you want to weigh every day and keep track of your meal caloric intake and what you do when you exercise. Seeing the progress on paper keeps you motivated.

About a month before I got married I did this and lost 15-20 lbs:

I ate 5 times a day... 3 meals and 2 snacks. I generally ate eggs/spinach/mushrooms w/ salsa for breakfast (and coffee or water); grilled chicken/fish w/ veggies and salad for lunch; and whatever for dinner (didn't gorge myself, but I wasn't as careful as breakfast/lunch). My snacks were usually an apple & tuna or a banana and some almonds or shit like that. And I drank an ass-load of water. Cut out soda, beer (mostly), etc.

Didn't exercise at all -- I'm sure if I did it would have sped shit up significantly.

Basically, just eat healthy and eat every 3 hours or so. And don't eat after 8 or 9 PM. That'll get your metabolism going without having to go on any crazy fad diets or whatever.

This is the best way to lose weight. I was at 210 3 summers ago and I did this and ran and weight trained for 7 weeks and I got down to 187 and was ripped. It's really easy. You just have to get rid of the stuff that you consume the most of, in my case, beer and such. And like everyone said, kill the sodas. Drink tea or water. Green tea boosts your metabolism also. If you don't want to get bulked up and just want to lose weight, do high repetitions and low weight when you lift. The only thing about the 5-6 small portions a day is that it gets expensive. Another way to keep you on track is to write out your weight so you see what you want to weigh every day and keep track of your meal caloric intake and what you do when you exercise. Seeing the progress on paper keeps you motivated.

Totally. I kept a food diary or whatever and it helped hold me accountable whenever I had to record what I ate.

take a trip to Italy and Hungary during a heat wave. I just spent two weeks there and between all the fucking walking every day and the heat I lost nearly 20 pounds. Plus I didn't eat very much at all because everything was so expensive and I just for some reason really wasn't that hungry. Now that I'm back home though I'm starving all the time, it's hard not going back to eating the same ammount of food. Now that I've lost some weight I would like to continue that way.

We should probably start a WLC (Weight Loss Collective) thread and track our progress... collectively. I meant to mention before, I've also started eating healthy and exercising. I had lost a bunch of weight doing low carb stuff a couple years ago but stopped, put a bunch of the weight back on in fat but a bunch in muscle as well. I had put almost all of it back on but now I'm just watching what I eat in terms of calories, speed walking/jogging at least a mile a day (I've been doing pretty good with it routinely which I haven't ever succeeded at before) and it's worked out pretty well. I'm down 8 pounds or so in a few weeks. I even got a wisdom tooth out and not eating much for that week helped a bit, but I didn't feel up to much exercise. I've since gotten back on track and it's good. Go health!

I've lost 20 lbs in the last two months (215 to 195). Here's how i did it.

Start working out every day. If you don't sweat from physical exertion at least once a day you're not going to lose large amounts of weight. You're not going to see weight loss immediately since you will be building muscle (which weighs more than fat) but it will work wonders in the long run.

Stop drinking soda, coffee, or any drink with sugar and/or corn syrup in it. I switched to water and 100% fruit juices only and that made a HUGE difference.

No more fast food and cut down on eating out to once a month. If you look at the menu at a restaurant it is mostly friend and fatty foods. If you can avoid those you're golden.

Cut down on drinking through the week. Beer has a LOT of empty calories that you ingest before you sleep (and therefore don't burn off so they turn into fat) and that will keep you from losing weight. If you can keep your drinking confined to the weekends you should do well. No one wants to quit completely.

Push yourself past your limits and comfort zone. If you can start working out 20 minutes longer, doing 50 more crunches, or running an extra mile you're going to see a big change. If you can push your body a bit further you're going to lose that much more weight.

• 3 months later...

so it's been a couple months... how's everybody doing?

i'm going to get back on a regular workout program (i've been really busy with school and my radio station lately) and was wondering who out there in the vc world wanted to partner up with me via the interwebz?

or, like it was suggested, maybe we could just make a thread for anybody who wants to join the VC Gym Class and all keep each other motivated???

it's all about the HIIT cardio, shit is fucking intense but it's the most effective.

They are not kidding when they say drink 8 glasses of water a day.

it all depends on weight,age,height,and sex but i drink 8-10 liters of water a day, i should be drinking around 6 .

and cut out the fucking pop the best solution I have found to this is buying the flavored water

at wallmart ("Naturally Flavored Sparkling Water beverage") it is carbonated and tastes almost just like pop, of course its much better cold

but its only .50 cents for a 1 liter bottle, and best of all its free of callories,sugar,ect

i gained weight while i was at home (being able to go out to eat and stuff). i ran for two months then kinda stopped the third month of summer. i went to school and since then i've lost about 7 pounds. but lately it feels more like only 5. not much progress but better than when i was running.

When I moved to the city I went from riding in a car everywhere to walking everywhere and becoming vegetarian also helped a lot when I first switched.

But just because you're veg doesn't mean you still can't eat shittily. I'm having this problem right now. I have such a shitty schedule due to work and school. It doesn't really allow me to eat a decent if any, breakfast. And late night homework sessions have me eating late usually right before I sleep. I only get extremely short lunch breaks at work and at school so my lunch is usually something really shitty or unfilling at all which leads me to eat a lot for dinner. I really need to start packing my lunch or something.

I used to go to the gym too, but I ended up dislocating my knee and ended up not able to do a whole lot for a good while (and too broke for proper rehab). I haven't been back since my accident and really need to sign up again. I've wanted to but it's a lot of money and I'm broke.

I honestly think if I wasn't in school right now or working a shitty job I'd be able to get my shit back together. I usually work 11 hour shifts so I usually have little to no energy after work to want to do anything. It also doesn't help my sleep regimen either.