MLB Discussion

The AL pitching was a complete joke comapred to what the NL brought and it showed. Not that Wilson is a joke, he's really good but for an All Star game the AL staff in general was fucking weak. They should have left Weaver in for more than 1.

Agreed...I couldn't believe they took him out after 1.

Sox/Rays heading into the 13th. Rays have had 3 near-misses on HRs, but nothing. Sox had 12 baserunners, including bases loaded in the... 10th? Still no score.

Reddick's grab a few innings ago will make tomorrow's SportsCenter Top 10 for sure. Deep left center, he and Ellsbury went up to the wall together for it and he came down with it right at the top of the wall.

And I wanted to get some video game playing in before I went to bed.

Edit: Here in the middle of the 13th, they just talked about the record length of a game that was scoreless, and in 1968 the Mets went a game that was 24 (I think they said 24.. it was 20-something) innings before anyone scored a run. Nuts.

this game has been ridiculous. beckett was as close to perfect through 8 as you could possibly get, and its a distant memory at this point.

reddicks play was fantastic, but pedroia played the first 9 innings like it was a perfect game- 2 unbelievable plays taking away hits.

how do the rays have ANY pitchers left now? in the 9th inning they started chugging through the pen.

They've got one sitting out there in case things get too far for whoever is throwing now. Somehow the Sox are sitting pretty with plenty of people to spare if it gets out of control. I think there's only one guy left in the Rays dugout, too, and they were joking about him having to catch later.

Aceves beamed two in a row and got out of it... heading to 16.

I wish this was a NESN game.. these announcers have been ok to listen to, but I could see Remy and Don Orsillo being hilarious during this one.

they would have pushed the threshold of silly many innings ago.

its just been an awesome change of pace listening to guys who are so baseball-wise. some of their analysis earlier was the smartest talk about the game ive heard in some time.

i really hope the yanks don't do that stupid jiminez trade.... 3 of the top prospects in baseball, and nova? screw that.

the Rockies said they have no interest in Montero. or at least as a center piece for a trade. so the Yanks can't build a trade around him for Jimenez. but the Rockies would probably take him in a big package deal that included him. Montero's value is not as high as it was last year or two years ago and Brackman's value is going the same route. their value is hurt by sub par seasons this year in the minors.

personally i don't see trading Nova as a total loss and I want Nunez gone. a lot of teams are interested in Nunez even though he can't field, throw or even catch a simple relay throw.

it amazes me teams actually have interest in him after how he has played in the field this season. but horrible defense is nothing new for Nunez, he made 33 errors in 2009 at Double-A and still got promoted to Triple-A based purely on his bat. i guess a NL team could use him as a pinch hitter but i can't see an AL team using him as their primary DH.

Guys can learn to field infinitely easier than learning to hit. As a trade prospect he is certainly viable at 2B where his offense is a plus and you would reduce the throws he has to make. Very few MLB teams would turn down a 24 y/o middle infielder who can bring a quality bat but needs to grow defensively.

Guys can learn to field infinitely easier than learning to hit. As a trade prospect he is certainly viable at 2B where his offense is a plus and you would reduce the throws he has to make. Very few MLB teams would turn down a 24 y/o middle infielder who can bring a quality bat but needs to grow defensively.

he did make an amazing catch last night practically sliding into the dugout.... he's fast, has a great bat... and i'm going to imagine his fielding will improve... i would think a move to 2nd, or possibly the outfield would help him alot

the play Nunez made last night was in foul territory so ultimately it didn't matter if he made the catch or not. had that ball been fair he almost certainly would've screwed something up, either catching/fielding the ball or throwing to first.

i'm all for having him learn to field and throw better and get more consistent, but that is what the minors are for, not the big leagues. you can't have someone still trying to figure out fundamental baseball on your 25 man roster. which does make him a good trade candidate for a team with an aging middle infielder or third basemen, and the Yankes fall into that category too. if i was a GM i wouldn't make the trade though from what he's consistently shown throughout his professional career.

from what Jeter said about Nunez, apparently it's a mental thing as to why he can't make even the most routine defensive plays. that he needs to play with his head in the game and think before he does anything, which Jeter has been working with him on to no avail.

Holy shit, the dude now gets pooped on for hypothetically botching a play that didnt happen? Ok, we get it, you hate Eduardo Nunez. I can only assume you were equally critical of Jeter (22) and Cano's(17) error filled rookie seasons.

As per usual, the Yankees have an inflated view of their prospects (as do most teams). Nunez was the best of the Yankees 2nd tier of prospects coming into the season. He has validated the concerns and praises equally. Dude can hit MLB pitching, needs to focus defensively. The converse of that is a non-prospect toiling away in the minors until his mid 30s.