MLB Discussion

I back Weaver for yesterday. Tigers pulled some bullshit moves, especially Guillen.

The only thing Weaver did wrong was throw that last pitch up, I dont think he was trying to hit the guy in the head. Just sending a message which is fine. He should have just hit the next guy in the back or something. I would have prefered he just walked up to Guillen and punched him in the face, a suspension for that would have been more worth it.

I dunno about suspending him for 5 games tho, he didnt really do much. I dont think he should be suspended at all. He got tossed, I think that was enough.

He pitched really well til then, I mean Verlander had to take a no hitter into the 8th to out-pitch Weaver yesterday. I think Verlander is gonna get the Cy Young this year but there's still time for that to change.

I think that unspoken rule is BS, honestly.

I can see if the Tigers were up big then yea take your cuts. It was only a 2 or 3 run game at that point. They are trying to win a game as they are in the middle of a pennant race. Aybar's job was to get on base and disrupt Verlander which is exactly what he did. I dont fault them at all for trying to lay down a bunt right there. Id say the same thing if someone did that against the Angels too. They are trying to win a game, not help Verlander throw another no-no. The BS level was infinitely higher on what Guilled pulled.

I think that unspoken rule is BS, honestly.

I can see if the Tigers were up big then yea take your cuts. It was only a 2 or 3 run game at that point. They are trying to win a game as they are in the middle of a pennant race. Aybar's job was to get on base and disrupt Verlander which is exactly what he did. I dont fault them at all for trying to lay down a bunt right there. Id say the same thing if someone did that against the Angels too. They are trying to win a game, not help Verlander throw another no-no. The BS level was infinitely higher on what Guilled pulled.

exactly.

The bunt thing was fine. Leyland agreed.

What wasn't fine was that elbow that Aybar threw at Verlander in the play at the plate. Verlander's quote to the media was the best I've ever heard from him. He said something like "I was just trying to make the play and I didn't feel anything. Then as I walked back to the mound I felt a pain in my chest and thought, wow, that little guy just elbowed me."

And Weaver started it, Guillen definitely escalated it, though. I think it started with Magglio's HR. It was fair by a foot and Magglio didn't run out of the box until he saw it stay fair. Then Weaver started Jawing at him as he was rounding the bases, then said some stuff to Cabrera after. Guillen got sick of it, and did the greatest home run showboat I have ever seen!

If you dont want to get run into then get out of the base path when someone is running your direction when you dont have the ball. That would have been an interference call even if Verlander wouldnt have dropped it. Aybar ran into him before Verlander touched the ball. Aybar did absolutely nothing wrong.

Magglio may have been watching to see if it was fair or foul and Im sure Weaver was pissed about giving up a HR and read the situation as Mags trying to show him up. He said something and then it was over, no big deal. It wasnt really a problem til Guillen pulled that bullshit move. He was just trying to start some shit and at that point Weaver was done anyways so why not waste the next pitch by sending a message. Thats how the game is played. The only thing I think Weaver did wrong was throwing that ball up. He should have hit the next guy in the back. Hopefully next time they match up Guillen will come up when Walden is pitching and Walden can dose him with a 100mph+ fastball and see if he still feels like showboating on his way to first.

Too bad we don't have zumaya. Guy is chronically injured and not that great of a pitcher, but if the Angels wanted a bean ball war there is no guy in the league I'd rather have. Verlander can throw over 100 anytime he wants though. Too valuable to the game to waste on a bean ball.

Aybar did nothing wrong (except throw an elbow, which is not justified regardless of whether Verlander was blocking the plate or not).

Weaver did nothing wrong (except yell A LOT of shit talk at the tigers because they were beating him).

Guillen no doubt took it to the next level. I loved it though. Must be the home town bias. Too bad these teams don't play each other again this year and Guillen's contract is done this year. Might be the end of it.

Too bad we don't have zumaya. Guy is chronically injured and not that great of a pitcher, but if the Angels wanted a bean ball war there is no guy in the league I'd rather have. Verlander can throw over 100 anytime he wants though. Too valuable to the game to waste on a bean ball.

Aybar did nothing wrong (except throw an elbow, which is not justified regardless of whether Verlander was blocking the plate or not).

Weaver did nothing wrong (except yell A LOT of shit talk at the tigers because they were beating him).

Guillen no doubt took it to the next level. I loved it though. Must be the home town bias. Too bad these teams don't play each other again this year and Guillen's contract is done this year. Might be the end of it.

Im not saying a bean ball war is in order but when you do what Guillen did you have to expect to get thrown at. Verlander is one of the most consistent hard throwers in the league. Dude has ridiculous stuff and anyone who can hit 101 in the 8th inning is just bad news for the other team haha. Just saying Guillen 100% deserves to get beaned, not in the head or anything but Id like to see him take one from Walden in the back or something.

How did Aybar do anything wrong? I still dont get that. He could have ran full speed into Verlander and knocked him over and still been 100% within the rules if he wanted to. You cant just stand there blocking someone without the ball.

Weaver got heated and said something to someone he thought was showing him up. Then that was the end of it. He didnt throw at anyone before Guillen, he just said something to Mags then it was over. Guillen was the one who was way out of line.

Oh well, Weaver is getting suspended so he'll miss a start. Made for an exciting game though haha.

You remember the A-Rod play when he swatted at the ball as he was running to first to avoid an out? Aybar did the same thing. He just wasn't as obvious about it. I guess I draw the line at whether he ran in normal form into Verlander or he swung his body to disrupt the play. Not sure on the official ruling on what is allowed in baseball, though.

Kind of raises another question though -- blocking the plate at any time in baseball should not be allowed. The point of the game is to get the ball to the plate before the runner, not to dress a catcher up in armor and force the guy to go around or over him. Probably my second biggest problem with the game after the two leagues having different rules regarding the DH.

you make it seem like catchers wear their gear specifically for collisions at the plate. even if they didn't have the gear they would still block the plate. once you have the ball you can block every base except for first with your leg too. the only reason you don't see collisions at second or third is because you'll most likely over run the bag after colliding.

if you want to take blocking the plate out of the game then you have to take slides to break up DP's out of the game too. both run the same risk of injuries and are at the same levels of fariness. this year has been bad for both, with Posey breaking his leg on a collision at home and the Twins' second basemen breaking his leg trying to turn a double play from a break up slide.

I dont think any rules need to be changed as far as blocking bases. Its just part of the game and I love it, personally. Coming in hard at second to break up a double play or dropping a knee down to block the guy sliding in is how you play the game as long as you keep it clean. Same thing with home plate, if you're a catcher you run the risk of getting run over sometimes. You know that going in.

Regardless of armor or not, should not be allowed to block the plate. Also would be in favor of getting rid of slides only designed to break up double plays. Has nothing to do with injuries like Posey's. I would have said the same thing last year, before the baseball media made a big deal about it.

The point of the game is to beat the ball to the bag. If you don't, you are out. Just a fundamental view of mine. I don't expect that these changes will be made. I'm just saying what I would try to push if I was commissioner.

what part of you're not allowed to block a base/home plate till you catch the ball do you not understand. whether or not that rule is enforced is a different story. if you beat the throw there should be no issue of the base being blocked. from the catcher's or fielder's point of view how are you suppose to approach it? give the runner a huge advantage by standing a foot away then dive to make the tag just as the runner slides?

I don't know the baseball rulebook by heart guys block the plate frequently before they have the ball. The catcher should not be allowed to sit there with their left leg completely blocking the plate waiting for the ball to come.

Did I say anything about standing a foot away? The catcher should stand close to the plate but not directly in the way of the runner, just like your average play at second as a runner is stealing. If the throw comes in 5 feet above the ground as the runner is sliding in, that runner should be safe. If the catcher catches the ball and gets it down for the tag before the guy touches home, he is out. The line between 3rd and home should not be blocked from the runner until the ball is in the catcher's glove and ready to make the tag. This is not the way the game is currently played.

collisions are fun to watch, and its how the game was always played... everyone has gotten too damn pansy about shit... Ty Cobb used to sharpen his spikes for slamming into people, Koufax and Drysdale would put the ball in your ear if you crowded the plate... show a little balls people.

Amen. This isn't Little League, it's MLB and these boys have guaranteed contracts. Play the damn game like it should be and quit trying to tweak the rules because today's hot pretty boy catcher was injured. Is it unfortunate to have a great talent miss a season? Hell yeah. Is it part of the game? Hell yeah. Why do you think so many excellent hitting catchers get moved to another position?