MLB Discussion

It really shouldnt be an issue though. Every other pitcher coming back from TJ has been limited without anyone calling for him to not be limited. It is just because he is a phenom and the team is winning that they are calling for him to be let loose. Take a look back at the early 00's Marlins team and how all those pitchers ended up. They were notorious for abusing their pitchers arms and working high counts and large innings every year and every one of those arms died.

I think there will always be edge cases, but generally a lot of data backs up the decision to rest young pitcher.

The problem is the Nationals are making the first legit Playoff run in a while. So the timing is bad. I'd prefer to see them rest him and be competitive over the next few years. Especially when they probably wouldn't be a true contender this year as well. If they were the Marlins there would be far less conversation.

Why wouldn't they be a true contender? They have the best record in baseball. Strasburg / Gio / Zimmermann can match up with any 1,2,3 in baseball. The Cards have a big lead in runs / game in the NL, but throwing them out, the Nats offense is right there with everyone else in the NL.

Contender!

Why wouldn't they be a true contender? They have the best record in baseball. Strasburg / Gio / Zimmermann can match up with any 1,2,3 in baseball. The Cards have a big lead in runs / game in the NL, but throwing them out, the Nats offense is right there with everyone else in the NL.

Contender!

Fair point. I had them to go to the playoffs before the season started, not sure why I'm being so pessimistic now.

CONTENDER!

things i would not have believed at the begining of the season.

1. the yankees would be behind washington in # of wins.

2. the orioles and pirates would almost have the same record as them on 8.8.12

3. AJ Burnett would be #2 in wins for all of baseball.

The Pirates are now sliding..i think they are 2-8 in their last 10 games. Cutch has finally cooled off.

Their yearly collapse just came a little later this year.

McCutchen is a great player but he is a 20 hr a year guy. He's 5-10 175. Just had everything go right to start the year.

Melky isn't super surprising. Seems like players have realized that if they grow massive muscles they will draw the spotlight to them. They use the performance enhancers to prevent injury and minimize everyday fatigue. He had a good long sample size with the Yankees so it's not likely that he was doing the exact same thing for them and only a statistical fluke that he kicked it in last 2 years.

Amazing for Felix. He is such a great talent on a team that is showing no real interest in winning anytime soon so I am glad to see that he got to get such a great personal milestone and as Travis said, against a good team too.

Shame about Melky testing positive, but I am glad to see that he came out immediately and stated that it is true and that he was sorry for letting everyone down. In my eyes being able to accept the punishment, show remorse and admitting it makes it a much better situation than denying it or saying you didnt know you took it (like everyone tried to do early on when they happened).

I am calling that in the next collective bargaining, there will be a clause that allows teams to void contracts of players suspended for using steroids. It takes away the incentive to use PEDs in order to secure a large contract which the teams are stuck with for years.

There will be another player strike before this ever happens. Also yeah people love big numbers even if you cheat so long as you don't get caught.

Speaking of PED's, I was looking over Barry Bonds stats from 2001-2004. Those are video game numbers. Unreal. Greatest statistical 4 consecutive seasons ever. Wow. The "Cream" and "Clear" are two special drugs.

There will be another player strike before this ever happens. Also yeah people love big numbers even if you cheat so long as you don't get caught.

Speaking of PED's, I was looking over Barry Bonds stats from 2001-2004. Those are video game numbers. Unreal. Greatest statistical 4 consecutive seasons ever. Wow. The "Cream" and "Clear" are two special drugs.

I disagree but it's not like either of us can predict the future. Clearly, the 50 game suspension is not enough to discourage cheating. It's 1/3 of a season in a sport where a player who produces should have a 10 to 15 year career. The incentive is still there to cheat so players will cheat.

This dude on ESPN radio was saying yesterday that Melky could still possibly win the batting title in the NL if Cutch goes into a slump. I guess Melky is 1 AB short of what he would need to qualify and apparently there is a rule that if you're 1 AB short you can give yourself an 0 for 1 and if you're still the leading hitter you win the batting title. Would be some serious bullshit for a guy who was suspended for PEDs wins a batting title but hey, Braun won the fuckign MVP and he was on PEDs that year.

Anyone see Torii cleat the ump right above the eye last nite while sliding in home? Never seen anything like that before. I was at the game and it happened right in front of where I was sitting. It was so weird, the play happened and the ump went down and no call was ever made. Took like 5 minutes to figure out if Torii was out or safe.

This dude on ESPN radio was saying yesterday that Melky could still possibly win the batting title in the NL if Cutch goes into a slump. I guess Melky is 1 AB short of what he would need to qualify and apparently there is a rule that if you're 1 AB short you can give yourself an 0 for 1 and if you're still the leading hitter you win the batting title. Would be some serious bullshit for a guy who was suspended for PEDs wins a batting title but hey, Braun won the fuckign MVP and he was on PEDs that year.

Anyone see Torii cleat the ump right above the eye last nite while sliding in home? Never seen anything like that before. I was at the game and it happened right in front of where I was sitting. It was so weird, the play happened and the ump went down and no call was ever made. Took like 5 minutes to figure out if Torii was out or safe.

watched the replay... he just went down. i did notice the no call. Hunter felt BAD! freak accident... stinks.

TRUMBO needs to heat it up..

I would hope they put that in, but I dunno... owners probably secretly love if the players get away with it because people pay to watch and buy the jersey of batting champions and all that.

agree to an extent... but doesnt MLB gear purchases get split up by all the teams. 1 hat sale gets split up by all teams?

or does that apply to NFL only?

So, anyone else think Cabrera is gonna get the MVP this year? Not that Trout is having an amazing rookie year I just think Cabrera has deserved it for a while and I just feel like he has the upper hand. He could have got it last year, but Verlander had it even though pitchers have the Cy Young and the year before Hamilton had it even though he missed all of September.