MLB Discussion

Myers by all accounts is a once in a decade talent that the Royals let go to patch up pitching woes. He was attached to a rookie contract which is huge for a team in a market like KC. 

James Shields is 31 years old with two years left on his contract in an age when a team like KC will never pay for him. Have you seen the contracts SPs are getting this off-season? I have a really hard time thinking they are in the ball park of retaining him and there hasn't been a murmur about an extension.

If KC can't win in the next two years thanks to James Shields then this is a tremendous bust of a deal. 

Myers by all accounts is a once in a decade talent that the Royals let go to patch up pitching woes. He was attached to a rookie contract which is huge for a team in a market like KC. 

James Shields is 31 years old with two years left on his contract in an age when a team like KC will never pay for him. Have you seen the contracts SPs are getting this off-season? I have a really hard time thinking they are in the ball park of retaining him and there hasn't been a murmur about an extension.

If KC can't win in the next two years thanks to James Shields then this is a tremendous bust of a deal. 

not only did they let go of Myers, but they traded Oriduzzi who was a centerpiece (with Escobar/Cain/Jeffress) in the Greinke trade.  he may not be a top of the rotation arm, but he's definitely serviceable and in TB he'll find his groove just you watch.

Myers is not a once in a decade talent. He's ranked #4 by MLB.com in terms of prospects, and that is factoring in that he is more of a "polished" prospect than a guy with mega potential in the low minors. A #4 ranking alone makes him not a once in a decade prospect.

Like I said, I like it. You gotta have pitching. Having the 9 best prospects in baseball come up to fill your offensive roster isn't going to get it done if your staff is anchored by Luke Hochevar and Bruce Chen. Got what they could for Myers. If you would have rather they gambled on a one-for-one prospect deal like the Pineda / Montero deal, I can understand it. I think they have enough prospects, though. They needed a solid pitcher and I believe they have a few minor leaguers who can hopefully push guys like Chen out of the back end of the rotation.

Myers isn't the unique talent that either Trout or Harper were.

However he is a once in a decade talent for a team.  The odds are it will be a long time before the Royals have a prospect of his stature.  I get that he also has his flaws.  His swing is a bit to long which means he might never be a .290 hitter.  Even with the potentially lower batting average his power potential leaves him as a player who can develop into a Giancarlo Stanton.

Also don't get me wrong I think that Shields is a great pitcher and Davis has the potential to be a stud reliever or an ok back of the rotation starter.  Shields is a stabalizing force in a rotation.  His ability to eat innings and keep his team in games is of immense value.

I don't see the Royals coming close to winning the Division, maybe they can pull down a Wild Card but that isn't even something I'd want to bet on. 

New Times will not give MLB the notes, the article is amazing, a giant middle finger to Selig

http://www.miaminewtimes.com/2013-03-14/news/new-times-steroids-mlb-biogenesis/

One of our most significant motivations for denying baseball is right here in the tropics. His name is Jeffrey Loria, and he owns the Miami Marlins, who start regular-season play in just a few weeks.

the royals' farm system is loaded. when they're swimming in minor league talent, they're almost obligated to ship some of it away for immediate-impact big league talent. myers was going to bring the biggest return. unfortunately i don't think the return was big enough as i think shields has some flaws that will be exposed with a move outside the tropicana dome. the royals need pitching much more than hitting so i don't blame them whatsoever for making the move.

I know there are a few Angels fans around here.  Any word on how Tommy Hanson is looking in Spring Training?  Velocity?

He's a guy that I've been wanting to keep an eye on because if his fastball is ticking back up a few miles an hour he could represent value.   If his fastball is continuing it's downward trend I want not part of him.

I know there are a few Angels fans around here.  Any word on how Tommy Hanson is looking in Spring Training?  Velocity?

He's a guy that I've been wanting to keep an eye on because if his fastball is ticking back up a few miles an hour he could represent value.   If his fastball is continuing it's downward trend I want not part of him.

I havent seen any games yet since almost all of them are while I'm at work. I've just heard that he looked pretty good and that his velocity was pretty good but other than those generalizations I havent heard much about him. Looks like he'll be the #4 starter between Vargas and Blanton.

Here is his box score from Sunday. not to impressive.

http://scores.espn.go.com/mlb/boxscore?gameId=330310107&teams=los-angeles-angels-vs-kansas-city-royals

I have seen this, it's awesome. Highly highly recommended. He still pitches in charity games every once in awhile and calls into sports talk radio shows around here all the time.

Sweet. I'm just about done with the Ken Burns documentary on Baseball and his interviews really sound awesome. If you haven't seen those, here's a few. The one at 3:30 is awesome:

Just got done with my first of 3 drafts.  10 team 5 x 5 H2H OBP instead of Avg.

Not enthusiastic about my team.  Went in without having proper research and it showed.  Overall offense is solid.  Power is lacking from the OF but my infielders are all 15-20 HR guys so hopefully that can help make up for it.  I need Ellsbury to hit 15+ HR and Harper to be 30+.  Pitching is a weakness.  I lack the obvious stud, and don't even have a stable base to work with.  Streaming is going to be key to my success.  Saves is a stat I felt comfortable just trying to chase going into the year.  I ended up going with Axford and League and I should have tried going with a SP at those spots to try and get my stable base.  Without running through each team in the league I'd say this team is set up to be about 3-5th place.  With a bit of luck streaming and picking up pitchers I can contend for 1st.

C - Mauer

1st - Konerko

2nd - Kipinis

3rd - Cabrera

SS - Zobrist

1st / 3rd - Longoria

2nd / SS - Espinosa

OF - Bryce Harper

OF - Jacoby Ellsbury

OF - Brett Gardner

OF - Jason Werth

OF - Ichiro

DH - Victor Martinez

Bench - Moustakas, Mark Reynolds, Nick Markakis, Lance Berkman, Jedd Gyorko, Juan Pierre

SP - Yovanni Gallardo

SP - Tim Lincecum

SP - Alexi Ogando

SP - Matt Harrison

SP - Alex Cobb

RP - John Axford

RP - Brandon League

Bench - Hisashi Iwakuma, Ross Detwiler, Shaun Marcum, Andy Pettite

not big on gardner or espinosa but i like markakis and gyorko as replacements for them. think you're making some gambles with ellsbury and lincecum but i think ellsbury's injuries have been more fluky (although he does play hard) whereas lincecum looks like he's in serious decline and i think a lot of people are still in denial about it.

jeter's cranky ankle makes me want to cry, or laugh, i'm not really sure. what a shitshow.

also, what about dem dominicans

Lincecum needs to stay in the bullpen for a while. He's lost a couple MPH on the fastball and he needs to work to get it back. I think he is still young enough where he can do it, but he needs to work on throwing really hard for an inning or two and then see if he can stretch it back out. Or else he needs to learn to "pitch rather than throw" -- even though I usually hate hearing this said.

Aroldis -- Closer or starter? I'd have him close. Just wondering what people think will happen.

Yet in case you think MLB officials will just throw their hands up in exasperation, the league reminded everyone of its power last weekend, suspending Detroit Tigers minor league pitcher Cesar Carrillo for 100 games. Carrillo never tested positive, but his name surfaced in Biogenesis documents.

MLB called him in and told him that if he told the truth, punishment might be minimized. Carrillo talked, MLB didn't believe him, according to two officials with direct knowledge of the testimony, and whacked him. He received 50 games for appearing in the Biogenesis records and 50 games for being uncooperative.

WHAT THE HELL!  seriously, THAT IS SO FUCKED UP.  I understand that you're guilty for just being associated, I understand the discipline within the Joint Drug Agreement thingy... 50 GAMES FOR BEING UNCOOPERATIVE AFTER THEY THREATEN HIM TO TELL THE TRUTH.  fuck bud selig, final straw.  love him for brining baseball back to milwaukee, but my lov for him ends there.  fuck.  him. 

i'm guessing chapman will start. broxton can adequately hold down the fort, perhaps not as effectively as chapman but it'll work. cueto, latos, chapman, bailey/arroyo/leake ain't a bad rotation. they should start bailey strictly in road games.

the MLB acts like a bunch of stupid thugs, especially recently. helped loria swindle miami out of hundreds of millions, pushed the new times to hand over documents it should have found on its own in the first place... i think the new times exposed a very critical weakness in the MLB -- that it's comprised of a bunch of morons -- and its knee-jerk reaction is to prove it still wields some power, mostly because it's embarrassed.

it recently threatened action against braun, rodriguez and the like. based on its mostly warrantless action against carrillo, i won't be surprised if they hand over sentences to braun, a-rod, etc. that will be extremely controversial and ultimately regrettable. although if it topples the selig regime i would be glad to see it.