MLB Discussion

That is incredible! I am so happy for twins fans. Although that probably means Morneau will be gone.

I was a HUGE twins fan in the 90's, basically the Brewers and Twins were my teams, but I didnt support the twins until milwaukee went to the NL and I felt I needed an AL team to take my AL love... like how the Brewres took my NL love from the Pirates. anyways, i really like that mauer is staying put :)

I think $200MM is fair if the contract is front-loaded (not sure if it is). He's still a catcher, so his value on the front-end will be really high. My guess is they'll shift him to 1B at some point to save his legs and prolong his career, at which point his overall value dips slightly (on the defensive end).

But, yeah, he'd definitely get more in a large market.

I think $200MM is fair if the contract is front-loaded (not sure if it is). He's still a catcher, so his value on the front-end will be really high. My guess is they'll shift him to 1B at some point to save his legs and prolong his career, at which point his overall value dips slightly (on the defensive end).

But, yeah, he'd definitely get more in a large market.

Definitely agree with him moving to 1B, and it will 100% happen if they lose Morneau. I dont see him staying as the catcher his entire career, either 1B or DH will be his future.

So with teams preparing for ST, lets start talking new season. Anyone going to be able to take out the Yanks this year, or the two time NL champions Phillies? Phillies had a great team last year and only got better. Adding a better 3rd baseman and a true ace is going to do wonders for them. Their bench is going to get them in trouble though if they come down with an injury to a right handed hitter though. Losing Werth to an injury would be a big blow to the lineup and thats what I am most afraid of happening. Yanks I think with the power they have still rule the AL. Angels made some nice moves, but Yanks just have a dangerous lineup that doesnt quit, and a staff that compliments it well.

predictions

NL East- Phillies will take it by a decent margin, but the braves should be a lot better

NL Central - Cards take it without a fight, after Cubbies choke in the 2nd half

NL West - hoping the dodgers can pull it out, but it should be tight witht he DB's and Rockies.

Wildcard - rockies or braves

AL East - Yanks by a decent margin

AL Central - White sox (if their pitching is actually as good as it looks to be) or the twins

AL West - Mariners

Wildcard - twins or angels.

Id love a season where the Cubs didnt choke in the 2nd half. They start out great and just implode every year.

Except they usually play about the same or better in the 2nd half -- look at the splits.

The problem with the Cubs isn't collapsing, a la the Mets; the problem with the Cubs is that they have huge expectations every year (sometimes fairly, sometimes not) that they never live up to. They have a huge payroll in a fairly weak division and it never pays off.

They're usually much better "on paper" than they are on the field.

my dad sent me an e-mail today about unbreakable records, just shootin the shit. here's what his list is (#1 would be hardest to break, 9 would be "easiest"):

9) Hack Wilson's - 191 RBIs in a single season

8) Eric Gagne's - 84 straight saves

7) Joe DiMaggio's - 56 game hitting streak

6) N.Y. Yankees - 5 straight World Series Wins

5) Ricky Henderson's - 1,406 career steals

4) Cal Ripken Jr's - 2,632 straight games played

3) Pete Rose's - 4,256 career hits

2) Nolan Ryan's - 5,714 career Ks

1) Cy Young's - 522 career wins

here's my list of unbreakable records:

9. Ricky Henderson - 1,406 career steals (the way the game is played today, this won't fall. but if the game evolves again toward speed, somebody could... give it a run)

8. N.Y. Yankees - 5 straight World Series Wins (free agency should make this impossible)

7. Tris Speaker - 449 career outfield assists

6. Sam Crawford - 309 career triples

5. B) Ty Cobb - .366 career batting average

5. a) Nap Lajoie- .427 batting average in 1901 (somebody will bat .400 again, but nobody will ever touch this one)

4. Cal Ripken, Jr. - 2,632 straight games played

3. Nolan Ryan - 5,714 career Ks

2. B) Walter Johnson - 110 career shut outs

2. a) Cy Young - 522 career wins

1. Don Larsen's perfect game - you can't beat perfection.

and just a little extra i came up with... here's a list of records most people consider "untouchable" but i think will eventually be matched/broken (in no particular order):

* Nolan Ryan - 7 career no-hitters

* Johnny Vander Meer - back-to-back no-hitters

* Orel Hershiser - 59 consecutive scoreless innings

* Rickey Henderson - 130 stolen bases in one season

* Carl Yastrzemski will not be the last player to ever win the triple crown

* Mark McGwire - 49 home runs as a rookie

* Babe Ruth - 177 runs scored in one season

* Walt Dropo & Matt Diaz - hits in 12 consecutive at bats

* Lou Gehrig - 23 career grand slams

thoughts?