MLB Discussion

Guest adam526
fantasy baseball question. Would you trade David Wright and Aaron Harang for Ryan Zimmerman and Justin Verlander?

I haven't had time in the last few years to follow all teams and stuff like that so I'm not sure how those guys are doing. Fuck, I miss playing fantasy baseball.

...but [Pierre] is expected to consistently get on base and steal bases, which he has done well over the course of his career. Pierre gets the thumbs up from me

He ranked in the top 3 in the NL in outs made from 2003 to 2007 (1st in 2003 and 2006). He's led the league in CS five times. His career OPS+ is 84. He rarely walks. He's a marginal OF with a crappy arm.

In short: Pierre blows. If it wasn't for that horrendous contract Colletti signed him to, he probably wouldn't be playing in this situation. Sure, he hits for a decent average. But he also slugs dick. And sucks.

I guess my point is that the Dodgers have better everyday options and I don't understand why he gets as much playing time as he does.

(And don't point to his numbers this year... they're way out of line with career numbers because of the tiny sample size. Everything'll even out.)

What was that one year, he had like 100+ stolen bases. That's nuts.

His career-high is 65.

EDIT: Just read back a bit and forgeagain pretty much already made my point. I wanna bang him so badly.

I would be losing Wright. I don't think I would do it but im seeing what other people think.

Definitely wouldn't make that trade. Harang and Verlander = a wash.

Wright and Zimmerman are similar, except Zimmerman hasn't shown that he can keep up with Wright-like numbers over the course of an entire season. Plus Wright steals bases.

What I find amusing about the Pierre stuff is nobody who's a Dodger fan much enjoys Juan Pierre so I'm not sure where that came. Still bitter from last year's playoff ousting? Pierre is a replacement, no one has two Manny Ramirez-like players on their team so its not like Manny can be replaced with a like-player. Kemp, Ethier, Martin, Loney, and Blake are all going to have to be better, that's all. And the pitching may need to buckle down a bit more. I'm a bit worried but oh well, nothing you can do now as a Dodger fan but hope they can play well for the next 46 games.

I'm a bit worried but oh well, nothing you can do now as a Dodger fan but hope they can play well for the next 46 games.

its really crazy to see how much of an impact one player has on a teams offense. Dodgers are 1-4 since Manny's been suspended... Either has hit .130 in those 5 games. its just amazing, really...

For all the Pirates' fans:

Pirates want 16-year-old shortstop

With 16 straight losing seasons and counting, the Pirates are desperate for ways to improve. One way may be to invest big dollars in a 16-year-old shortstop.

According to the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette, the Pirates have an inside track on signing one of Latin America's top amateur prospects, Dominican shortstop Miguel Angel Sano, but the cost of the signing bonus could top $4 million and become the highest in Major League Baseball history for that region.

"The Pirates are one of many teams interested, and they've got as good a shot as any team as long as the money is there," Sano's agent, Rob Plummer, told the newspaper. "There's no question they're interested, just as there's no question this is a special talent."

Plummer said his client turned 16 on Monday, but the Pirates were skeptical and conducted their own investigation to confirm Sano's age. The investment, if it were to occur, would be extraordinary for the Pirates, whose record bonus in the region was $400,000 for Venezuelan center fielder Exicardo Cayones last year.

Players outside the United States, Canada and Puerto Rico are not subject to the draft. Rather, they can be signed as free agents as young as age 16. The international signing period begins July 2, but teams are free to reach verbal agreements with players before that date.

From ESPN.com's Insider area.