MLB Discussion

According to ESPN, which cited two sources, the drug used by Ramirez was human chorionic gonadatropin (HCG), a women's fertility drug. The drug is typically taken by steroid users when they come off a steroid cycle in order to restart their body's natural production of testosterone, according to the report.

According to ESPN, which cited two sources, the drug used by Ramirez was human chorionic gonadatropin (HCG), a women's fertility drug. The drug is typically taken by steroid users when they come off a steroid cycle in order to restart their body's natural production of testosterone, according to the report.

thank you, last page.

thank you, last page.

Someone just mentioned on the last page what the drug was and that it was a womens fertility drug. I thought it was interesting that it says its typically taken by steroid users when they come off a steroid cycle.

Guest adam526
I know Manny off the team may not be why the Dodger's winning streak was snapped tonight, but it just seems funny how the day he doesn't play they lose. I didn't watch the game so there was probably other factors, but once again, just an observation.

That's an obvious obersvation, that is not valid. He didn't play, they lost. He didn't play the other day and they won.

The score today was 11-9, everyone in the lineup was contributing, well not Furcal but that's a dif story. The bullpen killed it for them tonight, if it wasn't for them the game would've been 6-2 Dodgers.

If you want to make that observation then wait til we go on a 49 game losing streak.

The Dodgers need to just break even at .500 with Manny out and I think they can do that. Its a downer to see them lose after this news breaks just for morale sake. I'm interested in seeing Xavier Paul play, so that's upside.

I figure the Dodgers, or anyone else, to win the west need 88-92 wins. That means the Dodgers need to win anywhere between 67-71 games out of the next 132. Not too hard, with or without Manny.

Regardless, Dodger baseball for now is about half as enjoyable to watch for me personally.

I know Manny off the team may not be why the Dodger's winning streak was snapped tonight, but it just seems funny how the day he doesn't play they lose. I didn't watch the game so there was probably other factors, but once again, just an observation.

That's an obvious obersvation, that is not valid. He didn't play, they lost. He didn't play the other day and they won.

The score today was 11-9, everyone in the lineup was contributing, well not Furcal but that's a dif story. The bullpen killed it for them tonight, if it wasn't for them the game would've been 6-2 Dodgers.

If you want to make that observation then wait til we go on a 49 game losing streak.

Well if Manny did play they might have won. I know Manny cant pitch but they only lost by 2 and Manny easily could have contributed to the team scoring 2 more runs. The Dodgers are a good team even with out Manny, they should still be fine with out him for 50 games. That division sucks and they are by far the best team. If they lose him all together thats a different story but he'll be back around the all-star break and they will be fine.

And if Troncoso doens't blow the game they might have won. Manny or no Manny you can't ask a team to score more than 9. And when they score at least 4, they should win almost every time.

Well yea obviously its not Mannys fault they lost.

During any game you could say "if this" or "if that" happened the outcome would have been different. Luckily for the Dodgers this happened early in the season so even if they get a little behind in the division they got plenty of time to come back.

Guest adam526
Juan Pierre LOL..

When he was in his prime playing everyday for Florida the dude was amazing. What was that one year, he had like 100+ stolen bases. That's nuts. Now, he's not playing everyday but he comes through when he does play.

Juan Pierre has stolen 40+ every year since entering the league. He even had 60+ a few times. That said, his career OBP is .347, his career slg is .371 (considering his career average is .301, that is brutal). He is being paid, I believe $10MM this year. Sure, he can snag bases, but in 2003, his career year here is his line:

.305 / .371 / .363 with 1 HR, 7 3B, and 28 2Bs (he had 204 hits....so that means he hit 168 singles). He stole 65 bases (which is great) but got caught 20(!) times and walked only 55 times.

So if he's a role player who occasionally plays off the bench and gets paid $1MM or something, fine. But replacing Manny Ramirez in the lineup....ouch. Maybe the other dude does get more playing time, but under Joe Torre I highly doubt it.

Guest adam526

He's not being used to replace Manny. As in he's not expected to hit 30 home runs, he's not expected to have 100+ RBIs, but he is expected to consistently get on base and steal bases, which he has done well over the course of his career. Pierre gets the thumbs up from me