MLB Discussion

Someone please take Soriano from us. I'm fucking sick of him striking out 3 times a game and then hitting a game winning home run, allowing him to keep his job. Dude should not be a starter.

Haha. I don't follow individual Cubs players that closely, but that seems to be all I ever see him do. And he's an abortion in the field.

a lot of cubs fans are alright writing them off already, but i'm not worried. i think they're going to have a good season. milton bradley and giovanny soto have had really slow starts but are showing signs of improvement. plus aramis ramirez's injury isn't helping. i still don't understand the off season moves the cubs made, getting rid of mark derosa (who had 80+ RBIs and now already has 30+) and jason marquis who is tied with johan santana for most wins in the NL. also i was always a huge kerry wood advocate. i dunno if they're gonna be able to compete with the cardinals this year though, pujols is probably the best offensive player in baseball and chris carpenter is so nasty right now.

yeah but its been forever since carp was nasty. it's soo good to have him back in the lineup.

goodbye nate mcclouth. Another rebuilding year in Pittsburgh.

Year? Maybe decade. I've just about had it with that fucking joke of a franchise. No wonder they are setting the standard for futility. So much for being competitive and a winning team in a year or two.

It's time to raze the Jolly Roger.

i love it. i really do. we get 2 solid/great prospects and a potential starter right now for a guy who had a half of a good season. nate was nothing through the minors and played like shit post all star break. this is a case of selling now high before we hold onto him and he turns into Craig Wilson.

goodbye nate mcclouth. Another rebuilding year in Pittsburgh.

Year? Maybe decade. I've just about had it with that fucking joke of a franchise. No wonder they are setting the standard for futility. So much for being competitive and a winning team in a year or two.

It's time to raze the Jolly Roger.

Well this isn't gonna help their image as a AAA farm club that the other 29 teams use to get players from.

why are people pissed about this trade? seriously? he was hitting .256, had a sub .350 obp, and is rated defensively as one of the worst in baseball. his replacement is faster, a mile better at defense, younger by 6 years, and a hell of a lot more exciting. plus, we get 2 top 100 prospects and a MLB ready pitcher. it's a no brainer if i'm neil. nate had about 80 good games to start last year, then he kind of sucked after that. it's sad that pirates fans are treating this like it's the end of the world. look at this potential lineup for a few years from now... it looks great to me:

CF: Cutch

RF: Tabata/Gorkys

LF: Morgan/Freeman

2B: Sanchez/Ford/Nygrich

SS: Wilson/Friday/Mercer/Sano(if we sign him)

3B: LaRoche

1B: Alvarez/Pearce

all that's missing is a solid catcher (fuck you dave littlefield for missing out on Wieters) and pitching. well the starters are starting to come around with Duke and Maholm doing great, toss in this year's pitcher heavy draft and the prospects we've acquired, and we can have a great rotation and move the excess to the bullpen.

why are people pissed about this trade? seriously? he was hitting .256, had a sub .350 obp, and is rated defensively as one of the worst in baseball. his replacement is faster, a mile better at defense, younger by 6 years, and a hell of a lot more exciting. plus, we get 2 top 100 prospects and a MLB ready pitcher. it's a no brainer if i'm neil. nate had about 80 good games to start last year, then he kind of sucked after that. it's sad that pirates fans are treating this like it's the end of the world. look at this potential lineup for a few years from now... it looks great to me:

all that's missing is a solid catcher (fuck you dave littlefield for missing out on Wieters) and pitching. well the starters are starting to come around with Duke and Maholm doing great, toss in this year's pitcher heavy draft and the prospects we've acquired, and we can have a great rotation and move the excess to the bullpen.

The problem is, you could make this list every year and we keep replacing guys who are ready to start with prospects. It's the never ending cycle, not Nate specifically. What's more, this trade essentially means they've given up on this year and it's the first week of June. Look for Sanchez to go next.

sanchez won't go i bet unless we get a great package for him. he's older and had an off season last year. i think neil knows what he is doing and how to do it. we aren't going to compete this year, and .500 is a mental thing more than anything. sanchez and wilson won't be here most likely in 2011 either. but if we can field a team of nearly all guys 26-27 or younger, all with massive potential, i like our chances.

cutch is 2-4, 2 runs scored, with a walk as well. kid can play. and just stole his first base as i typed this.

The problem is, you could make this list every year and we keep replacing guys who are ready to start with prospects. It's the never ending cycle, not Nate specifically. What's more, this trade essentially means they've given up on this year and it's the first week of June. Look for Sanchez to go next.

I'm with Zak right now. What happens in a couple years when someone offers a nice package for one or two of these guys? They will take the prospects and say oh two years two years you'll see. And 2011 could easily turn into 2020. I hope to hell I'm wrong, but right now I have no reason to think otherwise.

I'm with Zak right now. What happens in a couple years when someone offers a nice package for one or two of these guys? They will take the prospects and say oh two years two years you'll see. And 2011 could easily turn into 2020. I hope to hell I'm wrong, but right now I have no reason to think otherwise.

Get used to it. Until there's a salary cap this is what the Pirates have to do. It's that or sign the players to long term contracts ASAP like Tampa has done recently.

When it comes to small market baseball it's best to follow the team and hope for wins rather than become attached to certain players.

If you can turn one star into 2-3 stars you have to take it almost every time.

The Pirates are adding a TON of pitching lately. That's the key to baseball in the NL these days. I'm sure we'll see a very competitive Pirates team within a few years that will be competitive for quite sometime.

One thing to watch for Pirates fans is how the suits handle the pitchers. If Maholm and Duke are traded, then you know to give up. Pitching is getting harder and harder to come by. You have to stick with them for as long as you can and hope they turn out to be good.

Snell is testing the Pirate's patience, but I'm beginning to think he can't do anything in this league. He might be traded this year.

Adam LaRoche should be counting down the days too.

Not only did McCutcheon have a great first day, but one of the Pitchers we acquired, Charlie Morton pitched 7 scoreless innings in AAA. Struck out 7, walked 1.

If the Bucs can hold on to some good youngsters, they should be able to compete in 2-3 years. the Cubs and Cards are older teams that can barely hold it together this year. The Astros are a wreck. I'd say the Brewers and Reds (two small/medium market teams) are the near future of the division, and the Pirates could be part of that.

For the Pirates to contend the MLB needs to fix the draft. They need a formal slotting/cap system on what players can get when they're drafted. For Strasburg to ask for a $50 million bonus, its just absurd. No team should have to pass on a player because of "signability issues." And I'm a Dodger fan, a team by all accounts, who could work outside the slot system and be fine. But its not fair.

the slotting and lack of salary cap in baseball is absurd and according to an article i read on ESPN last night, this year's draft may be what finally pushes it to that.

and i trust the new management. these players we're getting we control until 2014-2015. nyjer is here til 2014, and he's the most valuable player on the pirates. nate was 3rd, behind freddy as well. nate had 2 amazing months, and fell off after that. he was average at best and pirates fans need to realize this. listen to the rocco show on the pirates radio channel. the guy knows his stuff and hated the trade at first, then the next day loved it when he looked into it. nate was a good guy, but nowhere near as good as people would make him out to be. nyjer and cutch will both be better, and we now have one of the best defensive outfields in the league.