MLB Discussion

...nyjer and cutch will both be better, and we now have one of the best defensive outfields in the league.

I think we have THE best right now. Also, according to some stats Nyjer is the best defensive player at any position in the league. Crazy stuff. Especially since we had one of the best outfields last year and none of those guys are starting right now, haha.

They need to do what the NFL and NHL do so that teams never go 17 years without being competitive.

I don't know the NHL as well, but the NFL has teams that are perpetually terrible, just as baseball. The Cardinals were horrible forever before this year and when was the last time the Lions did anything worthwhile? Baseball is the same way, if you are bright and creative, you can compete in a smaller market. Maybe not in the same way as the big market teams, but it's possible. The Twins, As, and the Marlins have all been competitive with small markets and small budgets. It's harder to do, but if you have a good front office it's certainly possible. I'm not sure how much a salary cap would fix that. It might alleviate some things, but it won't fix busted management.

yeah if you look back over the last 20 years.. a good majority of the teams have been competitive, and fielded great teams regardless of budget... teams like the marlins and twins consistently are in the mix depsite no budgets.. hell the blue jays managed a couple titles despite being in the toughest division in baseball... the real crime is profitability. the yankees spend a ton of money... but aren't the most profitable team.. they pay out huge salarys, revenue sharing, and do tremendous amounts of marketing... but the owners love the team so much they spend every single penny to field the best team they can for their fans.. many other teams are more profitable because the owners pocket all the cash, sell off any player who's making anything.. and do a piss poor job at running a team... do you not think the pirates could fill their stadium if that team was winning games? hell with what their ticket prices are i'd be there every weekend if i was in pittsburgh... but they obviously don't give a shit, or else they're just run by idiiots... trading off A-list players for next to nothing constantly...

yeah if you look back over the last 20 years.. a good majority of the teams have been competitive, and fielded great teams regardless of budget... teams like the marlins and twins consistently are in the mix depsite no budgets.. hell the blue jays managed a couple titles despite being in the toughest division in baseball... the real crime is profitability. the yankees spend a ton of money... but aren't the most profitable team.. they pay out huge salarys, revenue sharing, and do tremendous amounts of marketing... but the owners love the team so much they spend every single penny to field the best team they can for their fans.. many other teams are more profitable because the owners pocket all the cash, sell off any player who's making anything.. and do a piss poor job at running a team... do you not think the pirates could fill their stadium if that team was winning games? hell with what their ticket prices are i'd be there every weekend if i was in pittsburgh... but they obviously don't give a shit, or else they're just run by idiiots... trading off A-list players for next to nothing constantly...

in their position though they have to trade their players for prospects. we had great hauls for Bay, Nady, and Nate. we've gotten 2 starters, a reliever (who's on the DL at the moment), our potential long term 3rd baseman, and a outfielder who has shown some promise. plus like 6 more guys in the minors who all have high ceilings. an outfield of Cutch/Morgan/Tabata/Gorkys would be the fastest and one of the most exciting in baseball. that's what they're building towards, may be here next season. should be fun to watch. at least this admin sticks with the plan, and doesn't trade prospects or blow money on players like Burnitz, Randa, Simon, Monedsi, etc. this year's draft should go good hope, and they're finally spending money in the dominican/latin america/the world. i'd rather have that and a $10m major league payroll than a $40-60m one that has overpaid washed up vets and no shot at even mediocrity.

The new Pirates' management is doing it right. The old group saved the team and kept them in Pittsburgh, but they made some of the worst baseball moves ever. Coonely and Huntington are making some great baseball decisions.

I hope our presence in Latin America helps us get that Sano kid or whatever his name is.

So the Pirates used the #4 pick on a college catcher who was projected to go in the sandwich round or later. I hate the MLB draft so there's no real point in complaining, but they probably should have taken a pitcher -- but Crow did drop waaaaaaay down the list.

The Pirates say he was their #1 guy left, I find that hard to believe, but he'll be easy to sign (remember the Alvarez crap?!?!). They saved some money to use on later picks, two decent pitchers w/ there other picks.

Sorry if this is a duplicate post, I havent been keeping up with this thread very much.

Anyways, has anyone seen the cover of the new SI? Theres some kid on the cover and it says 570 ft. home runs, 96 mph, 16 years old. His name is Bryce Harper. I was talking to my dad, I guess he read some of the article and it says this kid is trying to get his GED so he can enter the draft next year and apparently they are saying he would go #1. I just thought that was incredible if its true that some 16 year old kid can hit a baseball 570 ft. Thats unreal power. I know its with an aluminum bat but still. College kids arent hitting the ball that far.

The kid on SI is Bryce Harper. I saw a video of him hitting in a home run contest in the Rays stadium and he could crush it.

Strasburg is the guy who the Nats picked #1. It should be very interesting to see how that negotiation turns out. They already signed their other first round pick (#10), a reliever, so at least they have someone if they can't get a deal with Strasburg. If this year follows how it's going, and the Nats fail to sign Strasburg, they'll end up with the first two picks of the draft next year which would be something. I hope it doesn't happen, but it would be amusing.

I liken the Brewers to the Penguins in draft picks over the last 6 or 7 years, of the 16 years of being uncompetitive. They were at the bottom for a number of years, had a number of great draft picks that turned out solid, and now have a fairly competitive team. Braun, Fielder, Hart, Weeks, Gallardo, Hardy, Hall, Gamel, all drafted by the brewers and brought up through their minor system and are now on the starting lineup for the Brewers and keeping them above .500 for the 3rd year in a row. I totally think a team can become successful through smart draft picks, hell, the Brewers total payroll is around $70mil this season and their the smallest baseball market in baseball. So they must do something right with their draft choices and developing those players. They picked a pitcher as their #1 pick (26th overall), and he's the first pitcher the brewers have taken #1 since Ben Sheets in 1999 I believe.

I liken the Brewers to the Penguins in draft picks over the last 6 or 7 years, of the 16 years of being uncompetitive. They were at the bottom for a number of years, had a number of great draft picks that turned out solid, and now have a fairly competitive team. Braun, Fielder, Hart, Weeks, Gallardo, Hardy, Hall, Gamel, all drafted by the brewers and brought up through their minor system and are now on the starting lineup for the Brewers and keeping them above .500 for the 3rd year in a row. I totally think a team can become successful through smart draft picks, hell, the Brewers total payroll is around $70mil this season and their the smallest baseball market in baseball. So they must do something right with their draft choices and developing those players. They picked a pitcher as their #1 pick (26th overall), and he's the first pitcher the brewers have taken #1 since Ben Sheets in 1999 I believe.

That 70 million is a tad misleading since on the open market Fielder and Braun are probably worth 7-10 million each, they're just locked into their rookie contracts. I love the Brewers, but will they won a World Series with these guys? Probably not, in fact they probably wouldn't have made they playoffs last year if they didn't go outside the organization and spent big money to get Sabathia.

The Pens are just a crazy case of having the opportunity to draft 2 of the top 5 players in the last 5 years onto the same team.

I really think you can build a good team with draft picks, but it will never be a great team.

PS: I'm to MKE this weekend for the White Sox - Brewers series and cannot fucking wait.

That 70 million is a tad misleading since on the open market Fielder and Braun are probably worth 7-10 million each, they're just locked into their rookie contracts. I love the Brewers, but will they won a World Series with these guys? Probably not, in fact they probably wouldn't have made they playoffs last year if they didn't go outside the organization and spent big money to get Sabathia.

The Pens are just a crazy case of having the opportunity to draft 2 of the top 5 players in the last 5 years onto the same team.

I really think you can build a good team with draft picks, but it will never be a great team.

PS: I'm to MKE this weekend for the White Sox - Brewers series and cannot fucking wait.

80 million is the payroll, not 70, with 12 million locked up in Jeff Suppans contract, that ends this season. same with mike camerons $10 million for this year, same with $6 million for Hoffman (who has been perfect and 100% worth every penny) and 5 million in Kendells contract for this season. So thats 34 million that will be open in November.

fielder is getting 7 mil this season and 7 mil next season

braun is getting 1 mil this season, $1 million in 2010, $4 million in 2011, $6 million in 2012, $8.5 million in 2013, $10 million in 2014 and $12 million in 2015.

they've got players in the wings to take the places of Kendall, Cameron and Bill Hall, so I don't think that 70/80 million is misleading

I think the only brewer still on their rookie contract thats in the starting line up is Gallardo. But that'll change this off season.

Hart, Braun, Fielder, Hardy, Weeks and Hall are all in their real contracts, with Hall and Hardy at the end of theirs, I think. They've got Matt Gamel and Escobar in AAA to take their spots if they don't stick around though next season, so the brewers will be alright.

i love the pirates draft this year, got to say. NH has brass balls, but keeps making the right moves to build a winner. and that's all we can ask for.i'd rather spend $7 on 7 huge upside high school pitchers all ranked in the top 200 than on 1 high school pitcher in the top 10 when for top 10 HS pitchers over the last 8 years, the success rate is under 30%.