MLB Discussion

From the Post-Gazette:

The Pirates will sign another prominent draft pick later this afternoon, but the only word on the identity of that pick right now is that it is someone other than Pedro Alvarez.

More as I get it.

On the Alvarez front, not much to report: All options remain on the table, including a major league contract. One of the issues that remains, as mentioned in the Notebook this morning, is the timing of a physical. If the Pirates are going to make such a large investment, they want certainty that the athlete is in full health.

Oh, and sorry about the server being down a while. All seems fine now.

UPDATE 2:25 p.m.: Fifth-rounder Justin Wilson's bonus was $195,000. I reported this morning that it was believed he had signed for above slot -- based on Wilson initially having sought third-round money -- but that final figure is slot to the penny. Gives a pretty strong indication of a) the Pirates sticking to their figures and B) Wilson maybe realizing his stock never will be higher than after that College World Series performance.

- - - - - - - - -

Awesome news on getting Wilson to take slot money!

2:56 p.m.: Could be sixth-rounder Robbie Grossman, one of the true high-end guys in the draft. If so, it will be way above slot.

4:05 p.m.: And it is. Grossman signs and will be introduced later this afternoon here at the ballpark.

WOOOOOOHOOOOOOOOOOO!

You could say if this and if that all day long. If Frankie didnt blow the save last nite the Angels would have won haha, but he did and they lost. I agree thee Dodgers are a different team now tho. I still dont think they can hang with the elite teams in the NL....let alone the AL. If Manny sticks with them and they make a couple moves they could be WS contenders in the next couple years.

What makes you say they can't compete? They've beaten the NL East leader 5 times in a row. They haven't fared poorly against many teams in the NL save for the Cardinals. And that was with an offense average a run less a game than it is now.

I just dont see the Dodgers beating the Brewers or Cardinals or the Cubs and it looks like 2 of those teams will be in the playoffs. Maybe just one but I dunno. Not saying they cant beat them. Its definitely possible for them to beat any of those teams but they gotta make it to the playoffs first. There is just as god of a chance of them not even making it to the post season. When the playoffs start the regular season doesnt matter. Everyone starts fresh again and anything can happen. Angels could get bounced in the first round. Who knows?

12 games is a very small sample size and is therefore probably meaningless. In the last 12 games the Cubs ARE 9-3 and one of the losses was the result of a game being called because of lightning! That doesn't mean they're going to win 3 out of every 4 games the rest of the season. The Dodgers are a .500 team if they're lucky. The Cubs are by FAR the best team in the NL. Manny, no Manny....the Dodgers are not very good, and if they're lucky enough to make the post-season, they will not beat the Cubs or Brewers. I wouldn't want to have to play EITHER of those teams in the playoffs or any other time. Both have nasty lineups, but the Cubs rotation is pretty damn sick. Zambrano/Harden/Dempster/Lilly? CC/Sheets/Crap/Crap is not as good, but it's a pretty damn good #1 and 2.

There is no doubt in my mind that the wild card comes from the NL central. The NL West division winner might not even finish at .500 and the Brewers have a pretty huge lead.

Yea I agree the Cubs are hands down better than the Dodgers and the wildcard will prolly come from the central but the east might sneak a team in there. Its totally possible the winner of the west might not be a .500 team. I think the Dodger will take it tho over the Dbacks and I think they will finish over .500. Even tho is pains me to admit it, the Dodgers arent terrible. They could suprise some people IF they make the playoffs. Id hate to see that happen but its possible. I just despise everything about that damn team.

12 games is a very small sample size and is therefore probably meaningless. In the last 12 games the Cubs ARE 9-3 and one of the losses was the result of a game being called because of lightning! That doesn't mean they're going to win 3 out of every 4 games the rest of the season. The Dodgers are a .500 team if they're lucky. The Cubs are by FAR the best team in the NL. Manny, no Manny....the Dodgers are not very good, and if they're lucky enough to make the post-season, they will not beat the Cubs or Brewers. I wouldn't want to have to play EITHER of those teams in the playoffs or any other time. Both have nasty lineups, but the Cubs rotation is pretty damn sick. Zambrano/Harden/Dempster/Lilly? CC/Sheets/Crap/Crap is not as good, but it's a pretty damn good #1 and 2.

There is no doubt in my mind that the wild card comes from the NL central. The NL West division winner might not even finish at .500 and the Brewers have a pretty huge lead.

One of the brewers "crap" pitchers is Suppan, who im not a fan of, BUT is a WAY more experienced pitcher in the post season than Zambrano, Harden, Dempster or Lilly. Manny Parra is a rookie this year, 9-5 record, 120+ SO, below 4.00 ERA for 80% of the season so far, wouldn't put that in the crap slot. Brewers rotation is pretty solid right now, Bush has been pretty damn good lately, he's another pitcher for the Brewers im not crazy about.

I'm not sure how the cubs swept the Brewers in Milwaukee a month ago, but I don't see that happening again. That was something of a freak occurrence.

I have no idea why Angels' fans have anything against the Dodgers to be honest with you. I always thought it should be the other way around since we were here as a major league team first.

I dont care who was a team first and I dont dislike the Dodgers cause of any other Angels fans I just personally cant stand anything about that team from their players to coaches to fans (you're cool tho haha) to their stadium to just everything. Im just waiting for a gang fight to break out among people in the stands who only wear the Dodgers jersey cause it says Los Angeles on it. Just my personal opinion. When I say I hate their fans Im mainly talking about the Dodger fans who are most likely Raider fans when football season comes around.

I have no idea why Angels' fans have anything against the Dodgers to be honest with you. I always thought it should be the other way around since we were here as a major league team first.

I dont care who was a team first and I dont dislike the Dodgers cause of any other Angels fans I just personally cant stand anything about that team from their players to coaches to fans (you're cool tho haha) to their stadium to just everything. Im just waiting for a gang fight to break out among people in the stands who only wear the Dodgers jersey cause it says Los Angeles on it. Just my personal opinion. When I say I hate their fans Im mainly talking about the Dodger fans who are most likely Raider fans when football season comes around.

Oh well I don't even like those people. Its made it so my grandfather and I don't go to the Giants-Dodgers game because I fear for his safety. He's a Giant fan from the Giant's New York days. So yeah I'm totally with you there. However, the Stadium, Dodger Stadium is a hallowed hall of baseball glory and probably the purest example of a baseball stadium. Its amazing. The people who go to the games there, not so much, the stadium though, well its purely baseball.

Oh well I don't even like those people. Its made it so my grandfather and I don't go to the Giants-Dodgers game because I fear for his safety. He's a Giant fan from the Giant's New York days. So yeah I'm totally with you there. However, the Stadium, Dodger Stadium is a hallowed hall of baseball glory and probably the purest example of a baseball stadium. Its amazing. The people who go to the games there, not so much, the stadium though, well its purely baseball.

Yea its pretty sad when you fear for your safety at a rivalry game. I know I just sound like a hater but I dont even like the stadium itself haha. It just seems so old (and not in a good historic way) and ugly haha I dunno. I guess I cant bring myself to like anything about the organization. It does have some history tho. More than Angel stadium, thats for sure. The Angels are working on that tho.

pirates sign grossman! scheppers wants out of fresno state and will sign tomorrow i've read. 10th rd pick, noone seems to know for sure why he's holding out. alvarez just became more difficult to sign with the giants signing their first pick. and no word at all on miller, who i'd love to see signed.

pedro signed!!! so happy. minor league deal and only $6m a year! neal made boras his bitch on that one.

scheppers walked, which isn't unexpected. last min he demands first 10 pick money while still having a bum arm. so next year we'll have 2 high 2nd rd picks in what is being called one of the deepest drafts in a while.

from a comment on PBC Blog on PPG:

skeeziks7 wrote re: Pirates, Alvarez AGREE to terms; Scheppers unsigned

on Sat, Aug 16 2008 1:02 AM

The future PBC lineup:1.Andrew McCutchen CF

2.Jose Tabata RF

3.Nate McLouth LF

4.Pedro Alvarez 1B

5.Ryan Doumit C

6.Andy LaRoche 3B

7.Neil Walker 2B

8.Brian Bixler SS

bixler i don't think will be there, but that D'Ammon guy who's tearing up state college may be. and negrich will be the 2nd baseman, not walker. walker is in a bad place now, he needs to put up or GTFO it seems like.

Ethier = stud.
So we can unsticky this thread, right?

Take off hoser.

yeah, ethier was on fire yesterday. I honestly thought the brewers were going to lose until they rallied 4 in the 9th! i was yelling so loud in my new apartment when Braun hit that 2 run HR with 2 strikes and 2 outs!

I totally agree with what the commentators were talking about though with the evolution of the slider vs curve ball, and how some batters ask for the pitching machine in BP to be set to throw sliders...

man, Kershaw has some nasty stuff... 95 mph fastball, 75 mph curveball... he was solid! Brewers do love to damage bullpens though...