MLB Discussion

I totally agree with what the commentators were talking about though with the evolution of the slider vs curve ball, and how some batters ask for the pitching machine in BP to be set to throw sliders...

man, Kershaw has some nasty stuff... 95 mph fastball, 75 mph curveball... he was solid! Brewers do love to damage bullpens though...

Kershaw is working on a straight change too. His curveball is devastating when its working. The 20 mph difference is just unbelievable. And he's 21.

I totally agree with what the commentators were talking about though with the evolution of the slider vs curve ball, and how some batters ask for the pitching machine in BP to be set to throw sliders...

man, Kershaw has some nasty stuff... 95 mph fastball, 75 mph curveball... he was solid! Brewers do love to damage bullpens though...

Kershaw is working on a straight change too. His curveball is devastating when its working. The 20 mph difference is just unbelievable. And he's 21.

really? I thought they said he was 20 yesterday! either way... kid is going to be awesome. They compared him to Koufax too, haha

I wouldn't go so far to call Maholm the real deal...

really? I thought they said he was 20 yesterday! either way... kid is going to be awesome. They compared him to Koufax too, haha

Well then he's 20. I thought he might have had a birthday. Best quote about Koufax, ever, came from Willie Mays. Something like "Sandy had a curveball and a fastball and you knew when he was throwing them both. You still couldn't hit them."

Granted Mays hit over .300 against Koufax so obviously he did alright.

Well then he's 20. I thought he might have had a birthday. Best quote about Koufax, ever, came from Willie Mays. Something like "Sandy had a curveball and a fastball and you knew when he was throwing them both. You still couldn't hit them."

Granted Mays hit over .300 against Koufax so obviously he did alright.

yeah, buy Mays hit everyone, hahaha, he was a career .300+ hitter with 3200 hits

The real deal for a Pirates fan!

One of the brewers "crap" pitchers is Suppan, who im not a fan of, BUT is a WAY more experienced pitcher in the post season than Zambrano, Harden, Dempster or Lilly. Manny Parra is a rookie this year, 9-5 record, 120+ SO, below 4.00 ERA for 80% of the season so far, wouldn't put that in the crap slot. Brewers rotation is pretty solid right now, Bush has been pretty damn good lately, he's another pitcher for the Brewers im not crazy about.

I'm not sure how the cubs swept the Brewers in Milwaukee a month ago, but I don't see that happening again. That was something of a freak occurrence.

Ok, I guess Manny Parra is not "crap" but you can't say he matches up with anyone in the top 4 of the Cubs rotation this year. Suppan is bad. I don't care what his post-season experience had been in the past. He's not a very good pitcher and I'd take any of the Cubs starters over him.

The Brewers are probably the second best team in the NL, but they still are not as good as the Cubs. I would hardly call the sweep a fluke. Granted, baseball is a wild sport where ANY team can beat any other team on a given day and it's incredibly difficult to sweep a four game road series no matter which team you are. But, if I had to pick a team to do it, it'd definitely be the Cubs given their massive +166 run differential this year (next best is the Red Sox at +114....52 less than the Cubs). The Brewers run differential is a mere +46. The Cubs have a bigger run differential than the second highest in all of baseball than the Brewers have total. They also lead the league in BAA, strikeouts (by pitchers), OBP, OPS, AVG....

They may have been lucky to even make the playoffs last year, but this year they are the team to beat in the NL. The Brewers, if they make the playoffs, are going to have to beat the Mets or Phillies probably to even make it to the NLCS. The Cubs are likely to play the Dodgers or D-Backs. Though they had problems with Arizona last post-season, I really don't think that'll happen again if they meet up.

One of the brewers "crap" pitchers is Suppan, who im not a fan of, BUT is a WAY more experienced pitcher in the post season than Zambrano, Harden, Dempster or Lilly. Manny Parra is a rookie this year, 9-5 record, 120+ SO, below 4.00 ERA for 80% of the season so far, wouldn't put that in the crap slot. Brewers rotation is pretty solid right now, Bush has been pretty damn good lately, he's another pitcher for the Brewers im not crazy about.

I'm not sure how the cubs swept the Brewers in Milwaukee a month ago, but I don't see that happening again. That was something of a freak occurrence.

Ok, I guess Manny Parra is not "crap" but you can't say he matches up with anyone in the top 4 of the Cubs rotation this year. Suppan is bad. I don't care what his post-season experience had been in the past. He's not a very good pitcher and I'd take any of the Cubs starters over him.

The Brewers are probably the second best team in the NL, but they still are not as good as the Cubs. I would hardly call the sweep a fluke. Granted, baseball is a wild sport where ANY team can beat any other team on a given day and it's incredibly difficult to sweep a four game road series no matter which team you are. But, if I had to pick a team to do it, it'd definitely be the Cubs given their massive +166 run differential this year (next best is the Red Sox at +114....52 less than the Cubs). The Brewers run differential is a mere +46. The Cubs have a bigger run differential than the second highest in all of baseball than the Brewers have total. They also lead the league in BAA, strikeouts (by pitchers), OBP, OPS, AVG....

They may have been lucky to even make the playoffs last year, but this year they are the team to beat in the NL. The Brewers, if they make the playoffs, are going to have to beat the Mets or Phillies probably to even make it to the NLCS. The Cubs are likely to play the Dodgers or D-Backs. Though they had problems with Arizona last post-season, I really don't think that'll happen again if they meet up.

Ryan Dempster is having a career season, one he's never had before. in his career as a starting pitcher he's only had ONE season under a 4.00 ERA, and as the closer for the cubs last few years he's almost had ERA's every year over 5.00. Dempster being this good is like Ryan Malone playing so well for the Penguins in Hockey, its a contract season i'm pretty sure for him, so his stock is going to be really high this winter. Zambrano/Harden are the aces of the Cubs, I will not argue that at all, Ted Lilly/Jason Marquis/Ryan Dempster are just the Suppan/Bush/Parra of the Brewers. You give the Brewers starters the run support the Cubs rotation has and I can be sure the Brewers would be in 1st over the Cubs.

Ryan Dempster is having a career season, one he's never had before. in his career as a starting pitcher he's only had ONE season under a 4.00 ERA, and as the closer for the cubs last few years he's almost had ERA's every year over 5.00. Dempster being this good is like Ryan Malone playing so well for the Penguins in Hockey, its a contract season i'm pretty sure for him, so his stock is going to be really high this winter. Zambrano/Harden are the aces of the Cubs, I will not argue that at all, Ted Lilly/Jason Marquis/Ryan Dempster are just the Suppan/Bush/Parra of the Brewers. You give the Brewers starters the run support the Cubs rotation has and I can be sure the Brewers would be in 1st over the Cubs.

This year, I'd argue that Dempster is the Cubs' ace: More wins, higher K/9, lower ERA, lower WHIP than Zambrano.

Of course I'd rather have Zambrano long-term, but -- since everyone's arguing about this year -- you can't really discount the job Dempster has done.

The Cubs stats pretty much prove they are the team to beat in all the baseball, really the number of runs they are putting up with a pitcher in the lineup. Imagine if we could play Reed Johnson or Cedeno everyday as DH. Honestly I think the Dodgers are the second best team in the NL. Best bullpen in the NL, the Manny Effect is really taking place. My few reasons why the Brewers might miss the playoffs or out in the 1st round. Ben Sheets career high in wins 12, he is there number 2 starter. One of the worst bullpens in the NL, Salmon Torres closing that would scare the shit out of me. Ned Yost really not a good "game manager". This team really has no playoff experince, the only guys that have it are Durham, Bush,Gagne and Sabbathia. Sabbathia blew it last year against the Red Sox. Gagne was doing mop up duty in the playoffs last year.

The Cubs stats pretty much prove they are the team to beat in all the baseball, really the number of runs they are putting up with a pitcher in the lineup. Imagine if we could play Reed Johnson or Cedeno everyday as DH. Honestly I think the Dodgers are the second best team in the NL. Best bullpen in the NL, the Manny Effect is really taking place. My few reasons why the Brewers might miss the playoffs or out in the 1st round. Ben Sheets career high in wins 12, he is there number 2 starter. One of the worst bullpens in the NL, Salmon Torres closing that would scare the shit out of me. Ned Yost really not a good "game manager". This team really has no playoff experince, the only guys that have it are Durham, Bush,Gagne and Sabbathia. Sabbathia blew it last year against the Red Sox. Gagne was doing mop up duty in the playoffs last year.

Ill agree the Cubs are the team to beat in the NL and that the Dodgers definitely are not the 2nd best team in the NL. Angels are the team to beat over all tho. I kinda wish the AL West and the NL Central would have met in interleague this year. I would have liked to see how the Angels and Cubs series turned out. I still think thats going to be the WS this year tho.

The Angels are not as good as their record. Very small run differential. Teix is a HUGE addition though. I still think Boston is a better team overall. Tampa too probably. I really want to see Tampa in the post-season.

Honestly, I'd rather have a team full of good players with no playoff experience than a team full of shitty veterans. A-Rod doesn't have much playoff experience and hasn't done much in his limited experience. So should he be benched because Wilson Betemit has a .900 OPS in 20 career playoff games? (he doesn't, I don't think...just an example...if he did that'd be funny though). HELL NO.

As far as Dempster goes....I think he really figured things out this year. If he was indeed tipping his pitches....well, he doesn't seem to be any longer with that stupid glove wag. I'd still take Dempster, especially at Wrigley, over any of the other Brewers pitchers. Lilly is actually having a BAD year this year, but still, great K rate. Marquis isn't even going to be on the playoff roster, so who cares?

I'd be worried that Ned Yost is going to Dustybaker CC Sabathia. 5 CGs since coming over from Cleveland(including tonight)? That's fucking ridiculous. Is the bullpen that bad that they couldn't yank him in the 7th or 8th with an 8 run lead? They're going to blow his arm out before the playoffs even start. Give the man some rest and a cheeseburger! I mean, he's awesome, but shit, let someone else get an inning or two and keep him strong for the rest of the year.