MLB Discussion

one of the espn guys shit all over uehara earlier this year for being too old. fuck i hate that site sometimes.

shameless encarnacion love: since august 1 (32 games), he has walked 24 times and struck out only 10. he now has 78 walks to only 57 strikeouts. amazing.

edit: not especially amazing as i look deeper into it, although the last player to post better SO/BB and ISO marks simultaneously was pujols in 2010. not bad company.

Every year dominant set up men with the rep of "unable to close" dominate as closer. Yet the "it takes a certain mind set to close" fallacy will never go away.

i wonder whether the bias is more the fault of the manager or the front office. i wouldn't be surprised if the higher-ups pressured managers into using certain guys in certain situations based on pedigree or whatever other reason. it's all dumb. but i'm glad the dodgers (first example that came to mind) gave jansen the chance instead of continuing to send out league simply because of his history and salary.

one of the espn guys shit all over uehara earlier this year for being too old. fuck i hate that site sometimes.

shameless encarnacion love: since august 1 (32 games), he has walked 24 times and struck out only 10. he now has 78 walks to only 57 strikeouts. amazing.

edit: not especially amazing as i look deeper into it, although the last player to post better SO/BB and ISO marks simultaneously was pujols in 2010. not bad company.

Our boy Edwin.

Our boy Edwin.

i did a little more research. as i mentioned, the most recent player to have a better BB/K and ISO at the same time in a single season is pujols in 2010. he's actually done it four times since 2005 (aka the year after barry bonds walked 232 times). pujols won the MVP in three of those four seasons and finished 2nd to ryan howard in the remaining one. i know the MVP vote doesn't come down to BB/K and ISO, and we're amid a season where miggy's defending his triple crown title, but people gotta respect edwin's power and plate discipline combo.

also, pujols didn't have a better BB/K and ISO in 2010, so i goofed. the four years were '05, '06, '08 and '09. nooooooow yooou knoooooow (bill nye voice)

Votto couldn't have been too far away from that club (just my guess without looking at the stats).

Votto has only had more walks than strikeouts once in his career, and that was the shortened year last year. And in that case he struck out twice as much as Edwin.

Think about that.

Votto has only had more walks than strikeouts once in his career, and that was the shortened year last year. And in that case he struck out twice as much as Edwin.

Think about that.

I wonder what their stats look like in terms of swinging vs. looking strikes. My gut tells me that when Votto does swing, he makes contact.

I wonder what their stats look like in terms of swinging vs. looking strikes. My gut tells me that when Votto does swing, he makes contact.

According to fangraphs, Edwin's swinging strike percentage this year is lower than Votto's has ever been any year. 6.2% for Edwin, Votto's lowest is 6.9% last year.

jesus christ.

olney, bowden and law think the brewers are in the worst position for sustained success over the next five years. don't tell mike!

blahblahblah, all subjective.  the fact that the rankings are based on the opinions of THREE ESPN writers is crap and means nothing.  here comes the vomit no one wants to read:  the brewers may not have any "star" MiLB players, or marquee names coming up... and the fact that "mobility" is a 5?  come on, thats joke.  Do they have a lot of young, cheap players, or old, immovable guys?

in the next 5 years only ONE player will still be under contract.  Hart, FA.  Yuni, FA.  Ramirez and Weeks? 1 year left.  Gallardo?  1 year left.  Lucroy's contract is bargain, Gomez' contract is a bargain, AOKI is a bargain, Segura is not even in arbitration, they've got 3 pre/arb 1B AAAA options, their bench is all pre/arb players.  Loshe has 2 years left, and no one in the bullpen outside of Gorzo is signed for more than a year.  Braun is the only long term contract.  The Dodgers were given a 22!  !!!!!!!!!! 

haha i posted it because i wanted to see you erupt... is that bad of me? i liked reading it for the prospect talk but didn't care much for anything else. they had a hard enough time making these predictions four months ago, no need to invest much stock in their garbage. however, i DID like that they ranked the angels' farm system dead last. god damn makes me so mad every time i think about it