MLB Discussion

Morse is among the few worst players in the league

He's got a 31 hr 95 RBI season on his belt. There are hundreds of players in baseball today who will never sniff that.

He just looks like a different player every month. He shot out of the gate this year and then nosedived. In that 95 RBI season, he was terrible in the first month or two of the season. Not sure where his true ability lies but he's a guy I wouldn't mind having around on my team for when it is clicking.

He's got a 31 hr 95 RBI season on his belt. There are hundreds of players in baseball today who will never sniff that.

He just looks like a different player every month. He shot out of the gate this year and then nosedived. In that 95 RBI season, he was terrible in the first month or two of the season. Not sure where his true ability lies but he's a guy I wouldn't mind having around on my team for when it is clicking.

I remember we debated about him before the season started. Still riding a horse with a broken leg are you  ;) 

What I should have said was that he's one of the worst regulars in the league. The guy is a DH with a .283 OBP. In 2011 he was a 3 win player. In 2010, 2012 and 2013 his WAR totals are 0.4, 0.0 and -0.9. That's a total of -0.5 in 3 seasons outside of what is a pretty clear aberration in 2011

I remember we debated about him before the season started. Still riding a horse with a broken leg are you  ;) 

What I should have said was that he's one of the worst regulars in the league. The guy is a DH with a .283 OBP. In 2011 he was a 3 win player. In 2010, 2012 and 2013 his WAR totals are 0.4, 0.0 and -0.9. That's a total of -0.5 in 3 seasons outside of what is a pretty clear aberration in 2011

I'm not jerking off to the dude. What I am saying is that there are plenty of dudes who just hit like shit all year. Given the choice, I would roll the dice on a dude who at times in his career has looked like a legit big bat and other times looks lost vs. a guy who just steadily does enough to avoid getting cut.

He's got some pop and that is worth a shot. Hell, Chris Davis was pretty much in the same position as him up until 2 years ago. That gamble worked out pretty good for the Orioles.

Right, which is why I don't think he will be a repeat of Chris Davis. And minor league stats mean less and less as dudes rack up minor league at bats. I'm sure when the Orioles picked up Davis after struggling to hit major league pitching in 3/4 major league seasons they weren't thinking "this guy hit great in AAA 5 years ago, I know he will turn it around." I'm sure they were thinking "this guy has looked great and terrible at times in the past, let's throw a flier on him and see if we get lucky". That's the connection I was going for -- sometimes throwing a flier on guys who have been up and down a lot pays off.

Give him a healthy season next year and I still think there is a 25/80 bat there. I think it's a good gamble for he Orioles. They pay him what, $1 million this year, he walks as a free agent, they get a compensation pick, and maybe he gets some big pinch hits for them in the playoffs this year? Sounds good to me (if that is how it works out).

Morse posted a .758 OPS in the minors, Davis posted a .971. Davis profiled as someone that should hit in the majors, Morse never did.

that's why he wasn't called up until he was, like, 29. anyway, i get what you mean about him being the worst of the regulars because his glove his flat-out atrocious. but to say he's only good enough to be a platoon DH is a little silly.

anyway, i want to know more about this miguel alfredo gonzalez guy!!!

also, dustin ackley is relevant again... who knows how long that will last

Right, which is why I don't think he will be a repeat of Chris Davis. And minor league stats mean less and less as dudes rack up minor league at bats. I'm sure when the Orioles picked up Davis after struggling to hit major league pitching in 3/4 major league seasons they weren't thinking "this guy hit great in AAA 5 years ago, I know he will turn it around." I'm sure they were thinking "this guy has looked great and terrible at times in the past, let's throw a flier on him and see if we get lucky". That's the connection I was going for -- sometimes throwing a flier on guys who have been up and down a lot pays off.

Give him a healthy season next year and I still think there is a 25/80 bat there. I think it's a good gamble for he Orioles. They pay him what, $1 million this year, he walks as a free agent, they get a compensation pick, and maybe he gets some big pinch hits for them in the playoffs this year? Sounds good to me (if that is how it works out).

Davis wasn't that far removed from the success he had in the minors. 

I don't think Morse has another 25 HR season in him, even if it's because he wont be healthy; that's a knock against him too. And they wont get a draft pick for him without offering a 1 year 13.3 mil qualifying offer. It's not like he cost anything to trade for, but again, it can cost them in that he's a net negative player.

He can't play defense or hit righties. Thats a platoon DH to me.

Morneau to the Buccos for Prestley + PTBNL or cash. 

Presley :)

THIS IS SO AWESOME THIS IS SO AWESOME THIS IS SO AWESOME THIS IS SO AWESOME THIS IS SO AWESOME THIS IS SO AWESOME THIS IS SO AWESOME THIS IS SO AWESOME THIS IS SO AWESOME THIS IS SO AWESOME THIS IS SO AWESOME THIS IS SO AWESOME THIS IS SO AWESOME THIS IS SO AWESOME THIS IS SO AWESOME THIS IS SO AWESOME THIS IS SO AWESOME THIS IS SO AWESOME THIS IS SO AWESOME THIS IS SO AWESOME THIS IS SO AWESOME THIS IS SO AWESOME THIS IS SO AWESOME THIS IS SO AWESOME THIS IS SO AWESOME THIS IS SO AWESOME THIS IS SO AWESOME THIS IS SO AWESOME THIS IS SO AWESOME THIS IS SO AWESOME THIS IS SO AWESOME THIS IS SO AWESOME THIS IS SO AWESOME THIS IS SO AWESOME THIS IS SO AWESOME THIS IS SO AWESOME THIS IS SO AWESOME THIS IS SO AWESOME THIS IS SO AWESOME THIS IS SO AWESOME THIS IS SO AWESOME THIS IS SO AWESOME THIS IS SO AWESOME THIS IS SO AWESOME THIS IS SO AWESOME THIS IS SO AWESOME THIS IS SO AWESOME THIS IS SO AWESOME THIS IS SO AWESOME THIS IS SO AWESOME THIS IS SO AWESOME THIS IS SO AWESOME THIS IS SO AWESOME THIS IS SO AWESOME THIS IS SO AWESOME THIS IS SO AWESOME THIS IS SO AWESOME THIS IS SO AWESOME THIS IS SO AWESOME THIS IS SO AWESOME THIS IS SO AWESOME THIS IS SO AWESOME THIS IS SO AWESOME THIS IS SO AWESOME THIS IS SO AWESOME THIS IS SO AWESOME THIS IS SO AWESOME THIS IS SO AWESOME THIS IS SO AWESOME THIS IS SO AWESOME THIS IS SO AWESOME THIS IS SO AWESOME THIS IS SO AWESOME THIS IS SO AWESOME THIS IS SO AWESOME THIS IS SO AWESOME THIS IS SO AWESOME THIS IS SO AWESOME THIS IS SO AWESOME THIS IS SO AWESOME THIS IS SO AWESOME THIS IS SO AWESOME THIS IS SO AWESOME THIS IS SO AWESOME THIS IS SO AWESOME THIS IS SO AWESOME THIS IS SO AWESOME THIS IS SO AWESOME THIS IS SO AWESOME THIS IS SO AWESOME THIS IS SO AWESOME THIS IS SO AWESOME THIS IS SO AWESOME THIS IS SO AWESOME THIS IS SO AWESOME THIS IS SO AWESOME THIS IS SO AWESOME THIS IS SO AWESOME THIS IS SO AWESOME THIS IS SO AWESOME THIS IS SO AWESOME THIS IS SO AWESOME THIS IS SO AWESOME THIS IS SO AWESOME THIS IS SO AWESOME THIS IS SO AWESOME THIS IS SO AWESOME THIS IS SO AWESOME THIS IS SO AWESOME THIS IS SO AWESOME THIS IS SO AWESOME THIS IS SO AWESOME 

Ughh, Davis and Morse were never close to being in the same boat. Morse was never seen to be a big stud like Davis was. Everyone knew Davis could mash it, just he was blocked in Texas and struck out a lot. Morse was never thought of being a super masher, he pulled a Brady Anderson and everyon knows it.

Ughh, Davis and Morse were never close to being in the same boat. Morse was never seen to be a big stud like Davis was. Everyone knew Davis could mash it, just he was blocked in Texas and struck out a lot. Morse was never thought of being a super masher, he pulled a Brady Anderson and everyon knows it.

I believe Morse has been suspended for steroids twice

Never said this. Just said there were some parallels. Obviously every career is different. Davis was never blocked in Texas. He was given opportunities, failed, and they went with other guys who were getting the job done.

Morse was thought of being a masher (I won't say "super") in 2011 with 31 and 15 in 2010 in only 293 ABs. Not that long ago.

I believe Morse has been suspended for steroids twice

I know of once in 2005.