MLB Discussion

i wouldn't want to get manny mad thats for sure.

Flood who is your team?

Every fan of baseball should read Bill Simmons' piece on Manny at ESPN.com, its amazing. I think people underestimate him the more I watch him. The dude is viably the BEST right handed hitter ever and certainly the best any of us under 40 has seen. Think about that. Think about all the guys and realize you get to see the best play. I mean that home run he hit on Wednesday night off his damn shoe tops 400+ feet in to the wind. And he didn't look like he was surprised. It makes my head explode to think about.

being a red sox fan i've seen manny hit for quite a few years. but for every amazing homer he hits he hits into two double plays or two pop outs in foul territory. not saying he's not a good hitter because he's definately one of the best in the league right now.

but in game one when he hit that homer didn't he go 1 for 4?

and he never looks surprised when he hits a homer. dude is fully of himself. he expects the ball to go out of the park everytime he makes contact.

Don't know about that, every single defensive metric and basically every scouting report says Manny's a disaster in the field. A decent arm is really his only redeeming factor, has no range and no concept of paths to take to a ball. He played the monster well enough, but any competent fielder could have learned to play LF at Fenway.

Statistics don't take in to account one important factor (I don't think), player's center fielder. And frankly after watching Manny play for a few months I'd say he might not be great but he's certainly not bad.

the thing i've noticed about manny's fielding is that he miss plays the ball a lot. but he'll toss in a little jump or what not to up play the dramatics of the catch and make it look impressive.

Every fan of baseball should read Bill Simmons' piece on Manny at ESPN.com, its amazing. I think people underestimate him the more I watch him. The dude is viably the BEST right handed hitter ever and certainly the best any of us under 40 has seen. Think about that. Think about all the guys and realize you get to see the best play. I mean that home run he hit on Wednesday night off his damn shoe tops 400+ feet in to the wind. And he didn't look like he was surprised. It makes my head explode to think about.

being a red sox fan i've seen manny hit for quite a few years. but for every amazing homer he hits he hits into two double plays or two pop outs in foul territory. not saying he's not a good hitter because he's definately one of the best in the league right now.

but in game one when he hit that homer didn't he go 1 for 4?

and he never looks surprised when he hits a homer. dude is fully of himself. he expects the ball to go out of the park everytime he makes contact.

Is there something wrong with being a confident hitter? Should he go up trying to single and be surprised when he does?

He might have been 1 for 4 but I know he was on base at least 2 of the five at bats. I believe he scored when Loney hit the grand slam.

Also, I haven't seen him pop out to foul territory as a Dodger (watch, two will happen in game 4). He was amazing for the Sox, period. Any Red Sox fan should stop bitching and actually pay attention. Dude was on fire when the Sox traded him, whether he ran out a double play or not. Check the stats. His OBP was close to .500 when he was supposedly "dogging it."

Statistics don't take in to account one important factor (I don't think), player's center fielder. And frankly after watching Manny play for a few months I'd say he might not be great but he's certainly not bad.

the thing i've noticed about manny's fielding is that he miss plays the ball a lot. but he'll toss in a little jump or what not to up play the dramatics of the catch and make it look impressive.

Eh, he catches it. And much like Piazza his one error in the field every so often is more than made up for by his shtick.

Manny = one of the top right-handed hitters to EVER play the game. His offensive production MORE THAN makes up for his less-than-stellar defense.

To be honest, much like Vinny said, I was expecting someone who was totally clueless. He has been average, which is much better than he was made out to be. Maybe only slightly below average.

Manny = one of the top right-handed hitters to EVER play the game. His offensive production MORE THAN makes up for his less-than-stellar defense.

To be honest, much like Vinny said, I was expecting someone who was totally clueless. He has been average, which is much better than he was made out to be. Maybe only slightly below average.

Right. His range isn't the best, but he gets to most routine balls and will occasionally make a great play on a ball hit to the gap. And he has a good arm.

He's no Chris Duncan out there, which is a good thing.

Right. His range isn't the best, but he gets to most routine balls and will occasionally make a great play on a ball hit to the gap. And he has a good arm.

And more importantly, no Chris Duncan at the plate either. Booyah!

And more importantly, no Chris Duncan at the plate either. Booyah!

Hahaha, totally. Dude sucks balls.

Teixiera - 28 years old, switch hitter career OPS of .919.

Pujols - 28 years old, righty career OPS of 1.049.

The only way I'd take Teix over Pujols would be if I really NEEDED a lefty with pop and Pujols' elbow was going to be a recurring problem.

Manny MORE than makes up for his shitty defense with his bat. People who hate on him are completely retarded. He is second among all active players in career slugging and 5th in OBP.

You know who else people hate on and it drives me fucking nuts? Adam Dunn. He's a big motherfucking lefty who hits 40+ HR every single year with a career OPS of .899. Sure he strikes out a ton, but who gives a shit? He's gonna hit plenty of bombs and get on base plenty. And he's gonna be way cheaper than a lot of guys. I'll take a guy with 40 bombs who gets on base 38-40% of the time any day. I don't care if ALL of his outs are strikeouts.

You know who else people hate on and it drives me fucking nuts? Adam Dunn. He's a big motherfucking lefty who hits 40+ HR every single year with a career OPS of .899. Sure he strikes out a ton, but who gives a shit? He's gonna hit plenty of bombs and get on base plenty. And he's gonna be way cheaper than a lot of guys. I'll take a guy with 40 bombs who gets on base 38-40% of the time any day. I don't care if ALL of his outs are strikeouts.

Word. Dunn gets so much unwarranted shit it's not even funny. And you know who gets a free pass from the people who bitch about K's? Ryan Howard.