NFL Discussion

Maaan...was pretty busy so I didn't watch any football today. Glad the cowboys won. Sad the steelers didnt hand the giants another loss. The highlights from the chargers/saints game made that look like a good game.

Cant wait for mnf. I havent seen the titans play this season, so i'm curious to see why theyre undefeated.

im sorry, ive always HATED NFL OT... Titans looked sick, can't believe they missed that FG at the end of the game... but just my luck that they won the coin toss and kicked it through the 2nd time. I honestly would love to see the NFL take on the college FB OT rules.

I too would like to see the NFL change its OT rules. Not a fan of the sudden death style.

Great weekend!!!

Tampa Bay came back and won. (After I got pissed off, punched my car stereo and turned off the game with 3 minutes left in it.)

I improved to 8-0 in my FF league. This is my best year ever in fantasy football. I scored the most points this week, which makes it 4 out of the 8 weeks that I have led the league in scoring. Too bad I stopped playing for money 2 years ago.

and its not just because the packers lost, i don't care really about that, its just the thought that everything hinges on that 50/50 flip. I wonder what the stats are on how often the winning team was the one who won the coin flip...

Ok... I found a study for 1974-2003 (that I'm assuming includes the playoffs). I poured through old box scores from 2004 through Week 9 of 2008 to find the total numbers. Here's what I got:

TOTAL: 1974 - 2008 (Week 9)

Total # of OT Games 430 --
Both teams had at least one possession 301 70%
Won Toss, Won Game 227 53%
Lost Toss, Won Game 187 43%
Team won toss and drove for winning score 126 29%
Ties 15 3%

With such a large sample size, it seems to be as close to 50/50 as can be reasonably expected. Although it'd be interesting to see the numbers starting in 1998 (when they moved the kickoff from the 35 to the 30 in an effort to increase offense). I may try to run those at some point.

Also, from 2004-present, it's much closer to 60/40 in favor of the team that won the coin flip (in 65 OT games).

PLAYOFFS: 2004-2007

Total # of OT Games 4 --
Both teams had at least one possession 4 100%
Won Toss, Won Game 0 0%
Lost Toss, Won Game 4 100%
Team won toss and drove for winning score 0 0%

It's interesting that all the OT playoff games from 2004-2007 were won by the teams that lost the coin flip.

Fucking Broncos. Seriously, they can't even handle the Dolphins, in Denver?

At least I was able to hand Mediocore his first FF loss of the season.

Yeah... my entire team shat the bed. Fuckers.

(And fuck the Broncos... the season was looking so promising too. If it wasn't for Ed Hochuli and Martin Gramatica, we'd be 2-6. Ugh!)

Fucking Broncos. Seriously, they can't even handle the Dolphins, in Denver?

At least I was able to hand Mediocore his first FF loss of the season.

(And fuck the Broncos... the season was looking so promising too. If it wasn't for Ed Hochuli and Martin Gramatica, we'd be 2-6. Ugh!)

yeah, damn broncos. although maybe this is just really like conspiracy theory like, but i've seen some questionable calls go against the broncos, so maybe they're not making make-up calls, but they're giving the other team the benefit of the doubt or something. maybe it's just me and i'm wrong cuz i don't really watch any other team closely and i haven't been paying attention to other team's questionable calls

yeah, damn broncos. although maybe this is just really like conspiracy theory like, but i've seen some questionable calls go against the broncos, so maybe they're not making make-up calls, but they're giving the other team the benefit of the doubt or something. maybe it's just me and i'm wrong cuz i don't really watch any other team closely and i haven't been paying attention to other team's questionable calls

That offensive pass interference call on Brandon Marshall was bullshit.